Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: SimEcosystem  (Read 2558 times)

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SimEcosystem
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:46:47 pm »

Does anybody know if giving animals (and hostiles) the necesity to have shelter, eat, drink, and ability to breed upcomming in the next update? 

Dwarf Fortress is of course fun and addicting because of the actual dwarves themselves, but I find the worldgen and mythgen pretty cool to, the last thing we need is a ecosystem generator, I could only imagine the problems it would present, but wouldn't a ecosystem filled with plants, herbavores, carnivores, and top carnivores be plain awesome.

It would give the dwarves their biggest and most complex tool to play with to date, imagine the frustration of trying to make a wildlife reserve, or on the other hand you could simply screw up the one around you

In addition the organisms should be dynamic and evolve, not in the sense of changing species, but changing stats, for example all deer have the same # of stat points spent in various stats (combat, raw speed, eyesight, foraging), and in predator infested ecosystems the deer with higher raw speed breed and make the next generation more speedy, in low-predator areas deer that can best fight off competition for mates/food would best survie.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: SimEcosystem
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:51:38 pm »

From what I've been able to moil from the dev page and the list thread, they still won't need to eat or drink.

Animals have always been able to breed.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:52:37 pm »

The list of things for the next version (might not be completely complete but the other stuff your talking about would most likely be on there if it were planed for the next version.)

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:53:29 pm »

I have never seen an animal breed in the wild, as far as I know wild animals spawn tame animals breed

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:45:30 pm »

no, wild animals breed.  you'll get messages that theyve given birth if they do it on your map, then there will be a little pack of pups or whatever following your local hippos around.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:02:04 pm »

Wild animals can definitely breed, they just usually don't hang around the map long enough. People have observed wild animals in walled-off spaces breeding. Even mounted sieger's mounts can breed, with hilarious consequences.

Therefore, anything that doesn't leave the map (i.e. riverlake creatures and a very small group of underground critters, most noteably cave crocs and the aforementioned hippos) is defintely going to become a rapidly going problem.

One last note, I remember something about a very simple genetics system going in, but I believe it was mostly for cosmetic appearances (i.e. a brown dog and a black dog breed and have a brown/black puppy).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:04:52 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:03:02 pm »

One last note, I remember something about a very simple genetics system going in, but I believe it was mostly for cosmetic appearances (i.e. a brown dog and a black dog breed and have a brown/black puppy).

That + ecosystem =
1. you never know what creatures will be like
2. stronger enemies
3. CARPIPPOTOMUS!!!

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:09:04 pm »

That + ecosystem =
1. you never know what creatures will be like
2. stronger enemies
3. CARPIPPOTOMUS!!!

Dude not cool i hate carp as they are
Back to Mafia with me!

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12:05 pm »

Ecosystems won't come for a long time, but since the animals are all in the raw files, couldn't someone else make some kind of evolution program, which exports evolved animals  to be used in the game?   It wouldn't do much, but could be fun.

In general, I don't really want toady to waste time on developing an evolution system which will make some deers have different attributes.  Hardly anyone would notice the difference.  Seasonal migrations, or evolved behaviors which had a game effect (such as animals get fed by the children, and then get friendly with the dwarves) might be interesting.

Plazek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:24:44 pm »

But then you could segregate your military and "evolve" them to have badass offspring.

I assume anything like that applied to animals ought be applied to all living creatures. It would be pretty sweet to one day enounter some goblin civ that had such a hard time they were actually tough.

When multi tile beats are in what if a type of dragon(or other megabeast) evolved to be super huge.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 10:30:47 pm »

Ecosystems won't come for a long time, but since the animals are all in the raw files, couldn't someone else make some kind of evolution program, which exports evolved animals  to be used in the game?   It wouldn't do much, but could be fun.

In general, I don't really want toady to waste time on developing an evolution system which will make some deers have different attributes.  Hardly anyone would notice the difference.  Seasonal migrations, or evolved behaviors which had a game effect (such as animals get fed by the children, and then get friendly with the dwarves) might be interesting.

Except that Toady has implemented all kinds of things that nobody notices.  People are discovering obscure things that Toady programmed all the time.  That very thoughts was a large part of the premise of the 'How have your dwarves surprised you' thread.

Also, if I recall, Toady said he was seriously nerfing carp for the next major release.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:55:09 pm »

We ended up with killer groundhogs, though.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 10:58:21 pm »

We ended up with killer groundhogs, though.

True, but Toady said he had them down to the point that it takes twenty or so to do much damage...and they CAN'T kill an armored, trained soldier.  Look out for the tigers, though.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 09:44:37 am »

What is the big deal with carp?  Despite carp's vast numbers only sturgeon and sea lamprey are able are aggressive enough to take down one of my dwarves

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 09:46:36 am »

You obviously don't have much experience with carp.
Pages: [1] 2 3