Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Detroit Zoo  (Read 1655 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Detroit Zoo
« on: September 03, 2009, 02:55:37 pm »

So I went with my family to Detroit's Zoo, the biggest zoo in the state I believe, and I had a really fun time.

The exotic animals were nice. I got to see baboons, gorillas, giraffes, and everything else you'd expect.

One very odd thing though, everything was kept in a cage, aquarium, or exhibit of some sort, except for two animals who were allowed to scamper about the main paths with all the visitors.

The first, these supremely odd black squirrels. I'd never seen squirrels like these before. They were normal squirrels, except completely black, as though someone took the time to rub coal on each and every one. Really adorable how they weren't afraid of humans, they'd scamper right up and take food out of your hand.

The second, and much more odd, were these peacocks. These huge colorful birds were just wandering around completely without supervision or restraint of any kind. One even had some little baby peacocks following it, it was so cute! All the visitors knew better than to bother them, but those adult peacocks are big enough to seriously wail on a small child if one were to ever lose it's temper.

I just thought I'd tell you guys.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit Zoo
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 02:57:41 pm »

Yeah, there are peacocks roaming the Cincinnatti zoo without enclosures too.   There's probably not much of a risk of them attacking someone if they let them run around like that.  If they were dangerous, they'd keep them locked up for fear of a lawsuit, you'd think.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 03:30:41 pm »

Black squirrels have been rather common in a couple of the places I've lived.  They're generally a little bit larger than the other squirrels, and have those little tufts shooting up from the tips of their ears, making the ears look huge.

But then again, we also had the occasional black fox...  Maybe there was a coal mine somewhere around there...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 03:41:50 pm »

Over in San Antonio, they have the Fossil Rim drive-through zoo type thing, where the Ostriches are known for thrusting their heads into stopped vehicles to get at any food you might have in your hands.

Not really an exotic creature, though, particularly not in Texas. Back in the late eighties, or early nineties, someone got this brilliant idea that the next big wave in America was going to be Ostrich products (eggs, meat, feathers, etc). So now there are Ostrich ranches all over Texas, and a lot of ranchers kicking themselves.
!!&!!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 09:36:11 pm »

I think they let the Peacocks wander around in the Manila Zoo too, though I haven't been there for years, so I may be wrong.

I'm more worried about people hassling peacocks than peacocks hassling people. They seem pretty mellow.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:50:19 pm »

Due to the red tape of the area, the Washington National Zoo, all creatures are restrained. Except for this one exhibit in the invertebrate house. There is a corner with a quarter-circle of enclosed dirt and a bunch of spiderwebs. Upon closer inspection, this knee-high dirt container is the only thing keeping people from walking into what I assume is an exhibit and not just a place the cleaning staff refuses to clean.

And black squirrels seem to appear in small families around these parts. Mostly smaller brown squirrels. Only seen a red squirrel once deep in West Virgina.

Also, if you ever visit DC and see a sign for that National Aquarium, don't visit. It is a depressingly small basement filled with a few tanks full of rather average fish. I think it had a crock pit, but that was the only redeeming feature.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 10:07:49 pm »

funny. i believe i went to a zoo where peacocks were roaming around as well. i guess it's just the fad with zoo's. also in the Maine wildlife exhibit in, of course, Maine, there were peacocks in enclosures even though there are no peacocks in Maine. I seem to recall it was because the owner liked peacocks.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 12:29:09 am »

See any Kangaroos?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 12:31:41 am »

Yeah, there was a trail we were allowed to walk through that had kangaroos without an enclosure. They could have walked right up to us if they wanted to. They were all asleep though, since they're nocturnal.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 12:31:53 am »

They let the Peacocks run amok in the Woodland Park (near Seattle) zoo too. Those things assholes- one actually successfully tackled a full grown woman for her bag of Cheetos.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 12:33:25 am »

They let the Peacocks run amok in the Woodland Park (near Seattle) zoo too. Those things assholes- one actually successfully tackled a full grown woman for her bag of Cheetos.
Welcome to the animal kingdom. Their king is jerkassery.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 12:34:28 am »

Yeah, there was a trail we were allowed to walk through that had kangaroos without an enclosure. They could have walked right up to us if they wanted to. They were all asleep though, since they're nocturnal.
What type of kangaroos, Grey? Red?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 12:37:36 am »

These kind:

Did you know a kangaroo can jump 25 feet, IIRC?

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 12:43:37 am »

Oh man, watch out for the Kangaroos.

The reds can fuck your shit up.

The Greys can only fuck your ship up slightly less.

(Probably. 25 feet is pretty far, they could but I doubt they would often.)

I was walking through the bush at night one time, and I stumbled across a big Grey Kangaroo. It got up on its tail and put out its paws in a boxing stance.

I ran.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:46:11 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 03:17:05 pm »

I actually went on vacation to Saugatuck Michagin this summer and there were black squirrels
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?
Pages: [1] 2