Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Varied Reclamation Teams  (Read 665 times)

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
Varied Reclamation Teams
« on: September 03, 2009, 02:33:50 am »

I nearly always stuff up my fortresses.
Either to sieges, poor location choice, economic failure and/or 10 dwarves simultaneously going insane because of sturgeons and jumping into the river.
But I HATE reclaiming.

Why?

Simply because all it does is give you a bunch of near useless cannon fodder to try and start your base back up again.

I propose a solution: Could there not be multiple reclamation types?

There could be,

.:Military:.

A military reclaimation sends guys like how the current reclaimation system works to fight for the fortress. I suppose it would only be useful if you were overran or pressured out by hostile entities. Not much would change from the current system types. Additionally, the first wave of immigrants will be the the artisans, because usually in a year you can clean out the fortress of it's infestation. In essence, the soldiers in a military reclaimation have to manage to survive a full year without scat.

.:Economic:.

Sometimes, you are forced to abandon your fortress because of bad economic decisions: Argh! Why did I bring a fisherdwarf on a desert climate? The economic reclaimation would basically be a 'second chance'. The amount of dwarves and dorfpoints you get to spend/assign depend upon how well your fortress was established before it was abandoned; meaning that you must have been doing rather well otherwise the mountainhomes will not spare much resources and dorfpower to help you.

There's my two penneth; it's just something small, but has the potential to be immensely helpful.
What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 02:42:00 am by Killas[SiN] »
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Varied Reclamation Teams
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:47:49 am »

I have never reclaimed (never seem to get interesting sites); but...

Why can't those two be the same?  Just give the player more points and more dwarves at the beginning.  There could also be an economic/nationalistic interest in a region that could make the mountainhome volunteer more immigrants, like if you discovered large iron deposits or embark on a location close to the borders.  Or, how about some temporary, battle-hardened soldiers to clear the place out, and they leave after a certain amount of time.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 09:58:02 am »

Reclaiming for me always has different dwarves depending on why I lost my fortress. One time it was destroyed by a dragon, so the game gave me military dwarves to kill the dragon. Next time, I had to abandon due to lack of food, so the game gave me hunters.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:22:54 pm »

Reclaiming for me always has different dwarves depending on why I lost my fortress. One time it was destroyed by a dragon, so the game gave me military dwarves to kill the dragon. Next time, I had to abandon due to lack of food, so the game gave me hunters.

Really? That has never happened to me. I always seem to get useless guys...
DF has left the game.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:51:01 pm »

You know you can alter their skills right?

I had to abandon and reclaim and I was able to take the 3 miners, mason, trader, mechanic, and grower that I wanted.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 12:46:53 am »

You know you can alter their skills right?

I had to abandon and reclaim and I was able to take the 3 miners, mason, trader, mechanic, and grower that I wanted.

Yeah, I know. But they are actually really useless.
DF has left the game.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 10:20:41 am »

Having just gone through a reclaim myself(playing CivForge; bugbear attack fell to my cage traps, but chaos dwarves... I did not wait for the carnage), there is merit to be had here.

The problem is that the skills your reclaimers start with are sharply limited. It might be nice if you could make a given dwarf ONLY military, or ONLY civilian, rather than the half-and-half there is now. Do this, and they get higher grade skills in their respective professions. And give an option to delay the civilian reinforcements by, say, a season - essentially, your support team arrives as a special wave of migrants.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.