Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [40d] World changing unexpectedly  (Read 2648 times)

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
[40d] World changing unexpectedly
« on: September 03, 2009, 02:26:03 am »

I've noticed two problems on a near-vanilla copy of DF.

Download link:(my entire folder)
Known modifications: I've changed megabeast size to 200 and GCS frequency to 100.

Symptoms:

1)I've found worlds I liked, exported their seeds during worldgen, and had the game create a different world when using them.  Always the same different world every time- I've re-exported the seeds and everything, and it's always the same world.  Always wrong.  Note that this is a fully-painted world.

2)I've embarked on a site in a particular region, abandoned, and come back to the region block, only to find it's been regenerated.  In the screenshots below, I embarked on a(n awesome) site with a magma pipe, but looking at the same region, it now shows another magma pipe outside.  Interestingly, if I load the original world (before embarcation) into another copy of Dwarf Fortress, this region block will look like the post-embark version on the initial Dwarf Fortress copy.

The first image shows the magma pipe circled in yellow on Visualfortress.

The second shows that same site abandoned- and a new magma pipe.

The world is regionX.  But when you load it up you'll see that it matches the second picture, and not the first.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 02:40:25 am by Bjiip »

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
Re: World changing unexpectedly
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 02:39:47 am »

Caught in the act: two versions of Dwarf Fortress, looking at the same region.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] World changing unexpectedly
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 09:23:01 am »

I don't know if it's related, but a long while ago, I had a worldgen that I wanted, but somehow removed it (accidentially), but I had saved the worldgen param. When I regenned it, for some reason the good desert region had turned evil, I tried to get it the way it was before, but gave up.

Still, since your world is heavily modified, strange behavior could pop up.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:39:13 pm »

1)I've found worlds I liked, exported their seeds during worldgen, and had the game create a different world when using them.  Always the same different world every time- I've re-exported the seeds and everything, and it's always the same world.  Always wrong.  Note that this is a fully-painted world.

I haven't used the painter ever, so this might be ignorance talking, but I don't think the seed is meant to encode custom painted stuff.  In other words, an exported seed is probably not sufficient to reconstruct a custom painted world.

2)I've embarked on a site in a particular region, abandoned, and come back to the region block, only to find it's been regenerated.  In the screenshots below, I embarked on a(n awesome) site with a magma pipe, but looking at the same region, it now shows another magma pipe outside.  Interestingly, if I load the original world (before embarcation) into another copy of Dwarf Fortress, this region block will look like the post-embark version on the initial Dwarf Fortress copy.

Are you sure this wasn't just due to the new init parameters that allow you to see map features at embark?  That feature was added in 39d and it would definitely cause discrepancies in whether the magma pipe is displayed.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:28:21 pm »

I haven't used the painter ever, so this might be ignorance talking, but I don't think the seed is meant to encode custom painted stuff.  In other words, an exported seed is probably not sufficient to reconstruct a custom painted world.

It is, actually, most of the time.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 07:53:15 pm »

Please elaborate?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:43:06 pm »

He says SOMETIMES it kinks up with painted worlds.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 09:51:00 pm »

I got that, but is it random or does it happen under certain circumstances?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 12:02:56 am »

I've been experimenting with World Gen lately, and I think I have an answer:

When you change small factors in the world (for instance, I changed both Max and Min temperature 1 degree up or down), but keep all the Seeds and Raws the same, the world will generate the same way, with the same terrain types and such, but it tends to cause certain aspects of the map to change.

Notably, I noticed Evil/Good subregions change, though the terrain types were still the same. I'd assume the same could happen with certain map features, such as Underground Rivers or Magma Vents. (Sadly, I can't get site features to display anymore when I gen maps, even though they're set to Always Show, but thats another problem :P).

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 05:15:07 am »

the painted data is exported with the rest of the worldgen params.

It has been remarked that small raw changes will screw with good/e'il and feature placement when not noticeably disturbing other things.

Did you copy the folder o'er or what for that latter pic?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 09:39:22 pm »

Yeah, the second picture shows the same world, already generated, being played on two different copies of Dwarf Fortress (with only the creature mods, mentioned above, different between the two).

That's the weirdest part.  Even after the world has been generated, you see two different versions of the terrain.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 01:41:02 am »

Yeah, the second picture shows the same world, already generated, being played on two different copies of Dwarf Fortress (with only the creature mods, mentioned above, different between the two).

You're absolutely positive you didn't make any changes to the init file?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 01:58:39 am »

the magma pipe and pool are shown in both. The magma pipe is two squares west of the embark region in the second picture. It's quite hard to see, but it's dkred instead of black doubletilde. (One of my gripes: finding magma pipes in deserts.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 02:27:55 am »

Ah, yeah, you're right, that doesn't look coincidental.  Thanks for the info about the world painter by the way.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 04:18:08 pm »

The fortress still being there is normal, it always is. Kind of like ruins. And where the fortress is, Does it have a strange letter 'u' or backwards 'y' looking thing at all? If it does, it's a ruin and it's normal. I agree with Solifuge.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:51:38 pm by dragon1423 »
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.
Pages: [1] 2