Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: SquirrelWizard's Questions  (Read 3050 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: SquirrelWizard's Questions
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 08:00:57 pm »

Safe? Absolutely.  Not as reliable as a lever and power. (They always get tired at exactly the worst possible moment.)

Just remember that only that exit tile is "impassable", and that magma can travel diagonally (on the same level, never "diagonally" across levels.)  I prefer use a combo of walls and (locked) doors to contain the outflow - doors are faster to install/tear down and allow access if and when needed. (The doors only need to be "fire-safe", not magma-safe, since they're not submersed.)

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 08:56:14 pm »

Okay the wiki is down and the search feature didn't really answer my question...

Hospital beds are any beds that have been constructed, but not turned into a room, or converted to a barracks. Now with hospital beds, do dwarves heal faster than normal? Also, if a dwarf has a room of his own, will he prefer the hospital bed to his own bed when it comes to injuries?

edit: okay apparently the wiki is up, I thought it was down for the day. the only question I need answered then is the question regarding preferance to room over hospital bed for injuries. Also if anybody can verify wether dwarves heal faster in hospital beds opposed to their own, I'd much appreciate it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:07:10 pm by SquirrelWizard »
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2009, 09:08:03 pm »

Wiki:

Wilst hospital 'rooms' can not currently be defined, Toady has stated that beds which are not in any defined room are considered hospital beds. Dwarves will recover faster when sleeping on them.

As injured dwarves require watering and feeding, hospital beds are best placed near a water source; preferably a well.

Gah, ninjaed
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2009, 11:46:53 pm »

Alright thanks for the info. A design question now.

When it comes to waterfalls and magma falls, is there any rhyme or reason to how they spread out? do they have a specific pattern that you can design around or do you just end up having to eyeball the space?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2009, 11:52:57 pm »

You can control where water falls by limiting the amount of open spaces at the top of your fall.

For example,

Code: [Select]
==O
++
==O

Will have the water falling only down that empty space, and the only place it has potential to splash around is when it hits water at the bottom of the fall.

There's ways to avoid that, too, by just lowering where the water lands a level or expanding grate coverage.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2009, 03:10:57 am »

It's random, but it spreads with a simple logic - a greater depth will flow "out" to a lower adjacent tile, and a 1/7 will not flow further.  If the flow is in a closed space, it's going to overflow the moment it has somewhere to flow to. 

In the case of "falls", you are putting a 7/7 depth below the "drain" tile - what it does then follows the above rules.  If you have that centered on a 3x3 drain system (with grates or floor bars, typically), then that one central tile can't spread further than you have covered with your drain system.  (Unless that system fills to 7/7, even momentarily - but...)

However...

If you pump the fluid, it pumps (much!) faster than a single tile can drain.  If your 3x3 catch-system is counting on 1 or even 2 tiles of "down" to carry the liquid off, it might not keep up with the in-flow.  (It can if you pump it "out" tho'.)

The trick I've found with pumps is to divert the majority of the flow off somewhere else, perhaps to recycle, perhaps down a chasm, whatever, and let about 1/3-1/5 of the pumped output route itself to the falls.  I do this by offering the main "flow" other options, so only a bit ends up going down that drain system - the rest is never gets a chance to overflow the falls drain system.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2009, 10:33:57 pm »

okay I have a question, I have a dragon at my fortress. He came from the edge of the map, and ran over to one of my ambush collectors.

now I assumed he'd try to make a snack of the tasty kitten in the collector, which it looks like thats his plan.... except he's some sort of "special" dragon who sits and stares at walls rather than go down an open path. He's unmoving in this regard, he just stares at the wall, with the succulent kittenflesh on the other side. Will he eventually snap out of this? Or do I need to go poke him with a stick/

no wait! he moved! I guess he discovered that the wall wasn't budging, he's now trying the same tactic from a different angle....

I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to tame this guy... he might pass the stupid genes on to his kids...

finally he moved into the entrance (and got trapped) is this normal dragon behavior?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:45:02 pm by SquirrelWizard »

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2009, 11:31:18 pm »

You can't breed dragon's unfortunately.  Don't try to animals that have tasted dwarfflesh.  They'll become tame in that dwarfs won't be afraid of them and they're immune to traps but they'll still attack everyone.  There is a high chance of friendly fire with a dragon even if everything else works.  But go for it, I'm sure it will be Fun. 

Also, about hospital beds, The beds have to be built to be used at all.  My dwarfs seem to prefer their rooms to hospital beds.  From the [m]ilitary menu I have selected the 'dwarfs sleep in own rooms option'.  On the other had I've had few (non-fatal) injuries so I'm not too sure yet.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2009, 02:00:31 pm »

I have a question regarding magma

lets say i've got a resevoir that is shaped like a cup (in that its closed on all sides except for the top)

what would this screw pump setup cause?

W~~~~W
W~~~~W
W~~~~W
W~~~~Xx
WWWWWWW~

would the magma just not pump, cause the magma to over flow on teh top?

also, will creatures with the building destroyer tag destroy grates opposed to walking over them? Assuming there is a clear path into my fort?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:39:19 pm by SquirrelWizard »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2009, 08:08:55 pm »

lets say i've got a resevoir that is shaped like a cup (in that its closed on all sides except for the top)

what would this screw pump setup cause?

W~~~~W
W~~~~W
W~~~~W
W~~~~Xx
WWWWWWW~

would the magma just not pump, cause the magma to over flow on teh top?
Only the bottom layer of the cup would fill. Pumps do not fill spaces above them.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2009, 08:40:32 pm »

okay and what if the resevoir is already filled? or mostly filled? My plan is to have a magma fall feed from teh top of the resevoir and drain back into the resevoir at the bottom.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2009, 08:52:45 pm »

Is the drain one level below the bottom of the cup or on the side of the bottom laterlayer?

Actually, never mind, I don't think that matters very much.

The way fluids work, with the pump the bottom layer would remain mostly full while the layers above it would drain quickly.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:08:12 pm by Ziusudra »

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2009, 09:00:34 pm »

its gonna be on the side. like this

W~~~~~WWWWWW
W~~~~~~~~~~W
W~~~~~WWWW~W
W~~~~~WWWW~W
W~~~~~WWWW~
W~~~~~Xx W~W
W~~~~~WW~~~W

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2009, 09:33:20 pm »

The pump would keep the layers at or below it full. The fall would keep the layers below the drain full. The layer with the drain would drain slower than those above. With a single pump stack driving the magma fall, I really doubt the 'cup' would overflow.

EDIT: Note, a wider drain would increase the drain rate of the drain layer but not the layers above.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:38:33 pm by Ziusudra »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]