Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: SquirrelWizard's Questions  (Read 3048 times)

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SquirrelWizard's Questions
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 08:39:47 pm »

It will not go faster because magma does not model pressure unless it is being pumped, then all logic goes out the window and acts like slow water.
That's not right. Magma is entirely logical.
Magma does not have the same pressure rule that water does, so indeed its flow rate will not vary much based on where you dig into the pipe.
Pumping does not change the behavior of the magma or cause it to run the pressure rule, but pumps perform their fluid pathfinding and placement independently of what kind of fluid they're pumping, and can move magma through U-bends. Water and magma will be pumped at the same speed, limited only by the flow rate into the pump intake. The magma will not be slower than water, although water pumps can be fed by pressure.

As for the axle-burning question, axles will only catch fire if magma gets into the same tile. It's safe for axles to touch magma pumps. Non-magma-safe gears won't help this much; they'll just melt a bit more slowly than axles burn when submerged in magma. You'll only have problems if you have magma leak onto your power distribution. Power can connect to any tile of a pump, and you are advised to use this fact to built a sealed system that will avoid magma leaks.

See http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32453.0 for further explanation.
Also see this topic: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=42296.0
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 08:59:15 pm »

I did not mean logic was gone, I meant that the magma was acting in a way unintended for it to act. also as shown in your first link I had been trying to say that the magma does not follow rule #2 I just did not do a good job of it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 02:23:39 am »

As for the axle-burning question, axles will only catch fire if magma gets into the same tile. It's safe for axles to touch magma pumps. Non-magma-safe gears won't help this much; they'll just melt a bit more slowly than axles burn when submerged in magma. You'll only have problems if you have magma leak onto your power distribution. Power can connect to any tile of a pump, and you are advised to use this fact to built a sealed system that will avoid magma leaks.

See http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32453.0 for further explanation.
Also see this topic: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=42296.0

Have you (or anyone else) tested that? We know that wooden parts in pumps take heat damage just by being next to magma (without being submerged in it - if they are it's instant burn instead of slow damage over time), so I wouldn't say that wooden axles don't have the same problem without testing it (it'd be logical for them to take damage. Then again, DF isn't always the most logical). Non-magma-safe but fire-safe parts don't have that problem, so unless there's magma actually in the same tile, it would hold without problem.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 01:28:53 pm »

thanks for the info, just a couple more questions regarding pumps.

Does the output of one screwpump = the intake of another? Basically if I have a resevoir which I'm going to have multiple screwpumps pumping out of, and that resevoir is filled by yet another screwpump, do I need to make sure that the # of pumps are equal so as not to empty my resevoir?

does the quality of materials affect the amount pumped?
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 01:42:01 pm »

The pump pulls all the water from the intake square (some say it leave 1/7. So, not sure. Mine dries out the tile tough). Quality does not matter.

And yes, 1 in pump for each 1 out pump so that in=out.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 01:45:32 pm »

If you don't want your reservoir to empty, you don't have to have the same number of input pumps as output pumps, just an input rate faster than what can be exhausted by your output pumps. If your reservoir had a single input pump feeding from a highly pressurized water source (say, the bottom of a lake), you could have a dozen pumps pulling water out of the tank and it'd probably never go empty.

Quality does not affect the operation of screw pumps at all - they move a full tile of liquid every frame (which can potentially mean one hundred 7/7 tiles in a single second if you manage to keep the input tile primed, something which will be nearly impossible without very highly pressurized water).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 11:32:28 pm »

Have you (or anyone else) tested that? We know that wooden parts in pumps take heat damage just by being next to magma (without being submerged in it - if they are it's instant burn instead of slow damage over time), so I wouldn't say that wooden axles don't have the same problem without testing it (it'd be logical for them to take damage. Then again, DF isn't always the most logical). Non-magma-safe but fire-safe parts don't have that problem, so unless there's magma actually in the same tile, it would hold without problem.
I tried to perform an experiment on this, but I had a damnable time just trying to get wooden pumps to ignite. The conditions under which they will or won't burn aren't well-understood.
I'd like to see an experiment that runs a wooden pump right into the input of a magma-safe pump, so magma is never left next to the wood pump; if it burns, then wooden pumps are damaged by the act of pumping magma rather than the state of being adjacent to magma. You could also run magma up against the back of a dummy wooden pump that isn't actually being used for pumping. Closed wooden doors shouldn't have a problem, either. (Although I've seen unlocked stone doors appear to spontaneously open while exposed to magma - this also needs further investigation)

Anyway, the thing is, axles don't have a solid tile like screw pumps, so it's not possible to put an axle next to magma without putting it in a place where the magma can flow onto and submerge it.

I've allowed wooden axles to contact pumps that are actively engaged in magma pumping many times with no ill effects, so I'm inclined to call it safe until someone publishes an experiment showing otherwise.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 05:34:31 pm »

The conditions under which they will or won't burn aren't well-understood.

I've got a theory on this: outside temperature. They seem to burn up if it's hot outside, and they never ignite in a cold environment.

The question to ask then is if this also applies to underground wooden pumps.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2009, 10:06:28 pm »

okay another thing that has been irking me.

my current fortress is litterally run on food. Its basically a McUrist and I trade prepared foods for materials. I have two kitchens set up to process food, but every time I tell them to make a lavish meal I get the error "Urist McCook has canceled prepare Lavish dish, item lost or destroyed." now it would be one thing if my noncooked supplies were dwindling, but they're not, I'm infact overflowing with fruits/veggies/booze that can be cooked. any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 10:29:57 pm »

I'd bet it's your play style.

If you first give the kitchen the order, then go to the z-kitchen menu and manipulate the food, the cook might have already selected the foods (the game tends to do some running even when "paused") - if you turn those off, they're "lost".  Happened to me all the time, so now I always try to do it the other way around - when I think to cook, first I decide what to cook, then I give the order.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 10:41:12 pm »

well I dont think its that.

I kind of have everything set up cooking wise and they do cook some meals, its just that after alittle bit they cancel giving that message. I have all of my alchohol set to cook (as I can brew it like mad when I have the barrels for it) and as of right now I have over 1k drinks available. So its not for lack of materials.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2009, 12:23:25 am »

Somehow, the item is being hijacked between the time the dwarf accepts the job to cook the meal, and s/he tries to access that item.  If you aren't doing it, your dorfs are.  If it's booze, maybe another dwarf is drinking it, or shifting it from the still to a stockpile, or from a main stockpile to a refreshment stand stockpile.  Something like that.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2009, 12:29:20 am »

ugh great... I really wish they wouldn't cancel job upon having an item taken, dwarf chefs are such prima donnas

question regarding pumps even further would this work?

Code: [Select]

W_Xx W
W xX_

Assuming that the exit point of the first pump ends in a resevoir. and at the top of the pump stack it dumps the lava into the resevoir from the top?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:33:46 am by SquirrelWizard »

h45hc0d3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 05:58:37 am »

Flow.

But I wouldn't want to be that one dwarf who cracks that first ocean floor tile.  ::)

Why dig out the tile? Use magma to create obsidian tiles above the ocean floor (which you've mined out under, of course) and then drop it. Watch as you break the ocean.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 05:43:30 pm »

okay assuming the pump is magma safe, and there is not chance of the magma flowing back onto the pump, is it safe to have a dwarf pump magma?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4