Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: SquirrelWizard's Questions  (Read 3047 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: SquirrelWizard's Questions
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 06:07:34 pm »

Flow.

But I wouldn't want to be that one dwarf who cracks that first ocean floor tile.  ::)

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 02:59:46 am »

hehe yeah... 5 levels of ocean breached at the bottom = 1fps and instant flood from what i have heard. Fun

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 07:07:17 pm »

What is with the dragon's fixation on screw pumps? this is the second fortress I've had where a dragon appeared, charged for the fortress, and stood mesmerized by a screw pump. obviously if I run out there and poke at it it gets angry and kills my dwarves, and then goes back to the screw pump.

As far as I can tell tehre is no pathing through the screw, and there was another opening available.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 11:59:57 pm »

another question.

I'm looking for an embark site, and the area I just came across has a chasm open to the surface. its full of all sorts of fun creatures, but I noticed some Giant Cave Spider Webs. Now on my unit list I dont see a Giant Cave Spider there, Do they show up on the list or do you ahve to discover them?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 03:13:40 am »

another question.

I'm looking for an embark site, and the area I just came across has a chasm open to the surface. its full of all sorts of fun creatures, but I noticed some Giant Cave Spider Webs. Now on my unit list I dont see a Giant Cave Spider there, Do they show up on the list or do you ahve to discover them?

They're hidden on the list until they ambush you. They might even have a second hidden web in a different place from where you found the first ones.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 03:27:17 am »

The GCS webs... do they spawn like CS webs? Or only by attacks?

It'll be rather fun to tame one, and get the GCS webs without having to build some system to web a chained goblin.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 03:54:25 am »

I haven't have much experience with teh cave spiders, this is my first chasm ever.

But these webs are strewn about the chasm (not in a web pattern, just bits and pieces) and they're labled giant cave spider webs.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 08:57:11 am »

Webs only spawn in the presence of the spider. As for GSC, you only get the scattered silk GSC webs spawned at embark if a GSC is present, the web where the GSC actually hides (which you will probably find actually making up a web), and the webbing that the GSC shoots out to attack.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 03:01:36 pm »

There are two times when "webs" show up.  The most common is any time you have open/dug tiles near a cavern biome where cs, pcs or gcs live.  These are just there for you to collect.  And, since cs and pcs are vermin, and gcs are invisible until in combat, you don't have to see the spiders themselves to see signs of them being around.

The other time is when a gcs (only) "shoots" webs at targets.  This is an attack, and very dangerous.  It usually appears as long lines of those same webs (and can be collected the same... by anyone who survives the attempt.)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 03:16:23 pm »

Actually, there's four times when webs show up:

1. When you embark, a number of cave spider webs will already be present in the bottomless pit or chasm if there are cave spiders present. If there's a giant cave spider, there'll be giant cave spider webs (either in addition to or instead of normal webs). Some webs will actually be stacked on top of each other.

2. When you embark, if there's a giant cave spider, a very large web will be present on the level where the spider itself resides, and it will be hidden until an unlucky dwarf steps into it.

3. As normal vermin cave spiders walk around, they spin webs on the floor as long as there aren't any rocks or other items in the way.

4. "How do I shot web" - ask the giant cave spider.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 03:29:51 pm »

C
first of all you don't need an iron bin, any magma proof bin works. also unless you plan to drop it in water you don't need the bin at all. all the bin does is protect it from the water.

next the to drop in an ocean you only need to get a little bit of lava to the box but it tends to be easier to just get alot to it. for ocean dropping here is the video of the experiment I did for the thread that started it.
dropping into deep ocean and here is the map

also If you build the burning block into something like a wall it will suffer no further damage and when you deconstruct the wall it will still be burning though the wall it was made of would not cause burning death itself.
here is the video of a wall being deconstructed. the secret to making the wall is that the block needs to be selected to build the wall before you set it aflame.

edit: found map to first movie
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:33:32 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 03:59:30 pm »

first of all you don't need an iron bin, any magma proof bin works. also unless you plan to drop it in water you don't need the bin at all. all the bin does is protect it from the water.

Yeah, as the originator of this technique I like to step into threads and remind everyone that you just need any flammable block in any magma-safe bin. Graphite blocks or charcoal would work fine.
It's just that the first time I did it, I happened to be playing with lignite and iron.

You might even be able to do it with diamonds; I've heard they're flammable but haven't ever tried it.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 04:08:32 pm »

and don't forget that it will eventually burnout so don't use it as a permanent drainage solution.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 04:29:08 pm »

Okay some more questions dealing with flamable stuff.

my current project is going to involve the movement of alot of magma.

I've heard people talk about pumping magma through screw pumps sometimes results in a connecting wooden axle burning causing whatever control system in place to come to a grinding halt. What is the hard facts with this? how close can an axle get to a pump before it burns? If I use a gear to attach the axle to the pump will it prevent this?

More on axles, does the power have to connect to the solid tile, or can it attach to the operator tile?

If I run a tube away from a resevoir of magma, will the magma flow into the tube faster if its at the bottom of the magma pipe rather than being higher up? If a screwpump is attached to a 1x1 channel of magma that isn't pressurized by another screw pump will it empty out the channel faster than the magma flows in, assuming that the magma in the channel is at 7/7?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 07:35:13 pm »

It will not go faster because magma does not model pressure unless it is being pumped, then all logic goes out the window and acts like slow water.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4