Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: SquirrelWizard's Questions  (Read 3049 times)

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SquirrelWizard's Questions
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:23:02 am »

I've read all about the dwarven atomsmasher, and the various exit lounges for eccentric nobles. I have some questions regarding the placement of items/people in regards to mobile constructs.

A) How does one set up a dwarven atomsmasher to destroy junk? do you make a stockpile then build the bridge? is there a way to move specific items to the smasher for disposal?

B) apart from conscripting dwarves into the military and having them put on active duty under the bridge, how does one get non military (read as the filthy lazy ass nobles) to take their posistion under a smasher/other exit device?

C) I've read all about the energetic reaction regarding a lignite block and an iron bin. I want to try this out, but I'm still puzzeling over how to do this. From what I heard is that once a bin is lit on fire, it burns anything too close to it. I typically try to avoid unrequired deaths amongst my dwarven population, so my question is how does one set up a firebox to drop into the ocean? via retracting bridge? do you pour the magma on site, or is there a way to transport it?

D) I've heard that catapults can move stuff around, some of the stuff I've heard is vague, so I was wondering if you could shoot stuff other than raw stone with them. I understand that the ammo has to drop at least 1 z level to avoid being destroyed, and that typically a raised bridge with a channel is done to facilitate this. also, how do you target stuff with the catapult so that it aims at teh end target?

Edit: renamed the post to update its topic.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:20:00 pm by SquirrelWizard »
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Item placement questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:52:22 am »

A) You can use "i" to make a "Garbage Dump Zone", then designate items for dumping. Much better than stockpiles. ;)

B) A frequent method of getting a specific non-military type to go somewhere is a lever where the "Building Profile" is set to only allow a specific dwarf. Pulling levers is high priority. Set on repeat - they'll stay right there awhile. But... you can't put buildings actually under the smasher. You can put them "on the far side" of the smasher such that the noble has to walk under the smasher to get to and from "work."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:22:55 am »

A) You can use "i" to make a "Garbage Dump Zone", then designate items for dumping. Much better than stockpiles. ;)

In fact, for an atom smasher, a garbage dump zone is required since you cannot place a stockpile in the same location as a bridge.

Regarding the OP:

C) Retracting bridge, pumping magma directly onto it. You'll likely also want an extra pump above the bin to remove the magma after ignition, otherwise it'll probably drop into the ocean and create a tile of obsidian which will reduce the bin's effectiveness. See this movie for a demonstration.

D) Catapults can only shoot stone, and they only shoot noneconomic stones (so they won't do something stupid like fire chunks of native aluminum at your enemies, just the piles of granite lying around everywhere). Catapult operators automatically determine the best target, though the chances of them actually hitting it are somewhat rare unless the catapult is built from high quality parts.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:28:22 pm »

I also have a question about the magic box of fire thing.

How do you get it specifically in an iron bin?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 05:38:31 pm »

I'm thinking you make a mason's shop next to a special bar/block stockpile, and lock the mason in there till he finishes the block. He'd then default it to the nearest accessable stockpile which is in the same room.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 05:51:00 pm »

Better yet, put a forge and a blacksmith in that room too so he can make the iron bin.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 06:25:10 pm »

Alternatively, you could remove the blocks from their bin, then forbid every bin in the fortress except for your desired iron bin, then wait for it to be stored. Of course, make sure there aren't any other active "store item in bin" jobs first.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 07:18:17 pm »

D) Are you thinking of "bridgeapults" when you say they can move stuff about?

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 07:22:08 pm »

its likely that I was wonderin gif there was a reliable way to fling things other than stones effectively and accurately.

And thanks for the information its helping out greatly.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:00:08 pm »

along the lines of the launching dwarves through the air train of thought. I've read that some people like to make suicide chambers which consist of a cistern/pool/moat or an extreme drop where melancholy dwarves throw themselves into. How deep does a pit need to be for a suicide pit (I'd prefer a pit not a pool, makes corpse retrieval easier.)

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 11:07:13 pm »

How deep does a pit need to be for a suicide pit (I'd prefer a pit not a pool, makes corpse retrieval easier.)
10 or more z-levels if you want to be sure they'll be dead, no matter what. 5 z-levels either kills them outright or allows them to die rather quickly from rather severe wounds. This is from what I remember another forum-goer did with goblin prisoners. 8 z-levels will probably be enough in most cases.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 09:14:48 am »

okay another question (I'm just full of these)

I've got 7 dwarves I'm trying to train as marksdwarves.

They're all equipped with crossbows, there is at least 1 target per dwarf set as a range with the appropriate firing direction, I've got 75 wooden bolts for training purposes, adequate food and booze stores, and they are set to off duty. I could understand if they were on break, but they've been on break for about a season or so.

yet none of them train. They just sit in my dining room, and there is no party going on at the moment.

any suggestions?

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 12:44:25 pm »

Well, even if they're set to use crossbows they should spar occasionally, unless they have spinal wounds.

One common problem is that they still have something held in their hands after sparring, such as a boot, that prevents them from using a crossbow and buckler correctly. You can either set the offending item to be dumped or tell the dwarves to strip down to clothes and then put the armour and weapons back on.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 01:53:14 pm »

It really seems to save a ridiculous amount of hassle to just use naked marksdwarves with 'zero rations' and no water carried.

Keeping track of whether that "Right Iron Gauntlet" is -on- the right hand, or just -in- the right hand... or whether it's the other one that's the problem is excruciating.

Make a moat such that the invaders can't come within three squares of your wall. Build or carve fortifications up one level on the wall. At that point, it really doesn't matter what your marksdwarves are wearing.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SquirrelWizard's Questions
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 04:40:15 pm »

I have another question regarding ocean forts

Lets say I embark on an ocean front. the ocean is about 4-5 z levels deep with further z levels of stone under it. now if I were to hollow out the ocean to make it bigger, would the water level on teh ocean drop, or would more water flow in from the side of the map to fill the extra space?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4