Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Companion under Linux?  (Read 983 times)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Companion under Linux?
« on: September 02, 2009, 11:25:20 pm »

I'm trying to run Dwarf Companion under Ubuntu (Jaunty), and I'm not sure what's going wrong here.

Dwarf Fortress (40d16) works just fine, no problems. But if I try to run Companion, I get the following:

Code: [Select]
./dfcompanion_prototype.py: line 1: import: command not found
./dfcompanion_prototype.py: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token `'./pygtk''

I've looked through Synaptic. I have python-gtk2, python-gobject, and python-cairo all installed, as well as, of course, Python itself(2.6). There is no package just called "pygtk" etc.

Help? :-[
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

jupotter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Companion under Linux?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:53:47 am »

Just chek the wiki page of Dwarf companion:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/User:Bartavelle/DwarfCompanion#How
You should go on the pyGTK site to download the modules:
www.pygtk.org
But I'm not sure that it will work with the linux version of DF. You should try under wine if it don't work, with the windows version of the game.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 05:09:22 am »

Ahem.

I've looked through Synaptic. I have python-gtk2, python-gobject, and python-cairo all installed, ...

That would be the local equivalents of PyGTK, PyGObject, PyCairo.

The only difference I can see is the GTK version - and trying to install a whole major version of GTK just to maybe get this one thing to work is... not appealing.

My laptop is pretty marginal with DF as it is(desktop is currently dead - motherboard wore out). Trying to install the Windows version of DF, GTK, Python, and all three auxilliary libraries, AND run all of that through WINE...

I'd probably be lucky if I could get 5 FPS.

I'd sooner poke at the scripts than do that. But, not being a good programmer(I never got far with Python and have forgotten pretty much all of what I did know), I can't do that on my own.

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

jupotter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 06:48:39 am »

Oh, sorry, I haven't read very well ^^;
Hmm, I searched a little bit and found that you must add #!/usr/bin/env python at the beginning of your dfcompagnion_prototype.py file, otherwise it is used as a bash script.
There are others problems which are solved on the talk page, some changes to make on the scripts. I tryied it, but I'm stuck on init after the script launch :/

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:36:31 am »

Huh. I scanned the talk page, but I didn't see that. I'll have to look harder.

I thought it was calling Python, but I could well be mistaken. Thanks!

Edit - well, got past that error only for it to say it can't find Dwarf Fortress. Guessing that's a version issue. Ah well, it was worth a shot; perhaps further reading there will hep.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:46:59 am by Shurhaian »

jupotter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:07:47 pm »

You have been to this page?
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/User_talk:Bartavelle/DwarfCompanion

There is a part with to code block, where it is say how to resolve this errors and an other one wich come just after. I was hable to have no error on 40d2, not on 40d14 I have a timestamp error), but the only thing I got is an "init" and nothing else :/

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 01:45:48 pm »

The first patch has already been applied, in the version of Companion I downloaded, and that's the one that should affect finding DF.

It doesn't. Not even if I go in and put the second patch, just to be sure.

I'm guessing it's a version issue, and Companion might not know how to find 40d16...