Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves killed by boiling rock are frozen to death.  (Read 912 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Dwarves killed by boiling rock are frozen to death.
« on: September 02, 2009, 01:32:58 am »

In the last released version, 0.28.181.40d I think, I got the message "Datan Kuletstizash, Miner has frozen to death". On a non-freezing biome. I paused and zoomed to the body.

He'd been mining sphalerite. He was surrounded by clouds of boiling sphalerite. Checking the raws I found my magma-proofing mod had given sphalerite a boiling point of 1185 not 11185.

The problem is not the boiling rock, of course, but the death message - frozen to death. I've never had it before - when they stand in water as it freezes, they have their "bones encased in ice". Will this be fixed in the next release?

I found a few threads that suggest the same message come from all burning-gas-related deaths:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32294.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23313.msg256434#msg256434

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Dwarves killed by boiling rock are frozen to death.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:09:50 am »

It's possible that the really low boiling point caused the stone to actually spawn at that ridiculously low temperature, lowering the temperature of the surrounding cavern to below absolute zero (since absolute zero is 9508) and instantly freezing your miner to death.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:06:03 pm »

Boiling is a cooling process  ;D
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:38:44 pm »

It's possible that the really low boiling point caused the stone to actually spawn at that ridiculously low temperature, lowering the temperature of the surrounding cavern to below absolute zero (since absolute zero is 9508) and instantly freezing your miner to death.

It's probably something like this, although I doubt it has anything to do with the rock "spawning" since I've also seen this happen with materials that were already sitting around when I altered the boiling point.  More likely there's a bug that resets the material temperature during a phase change.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:11:47 pm »

The act of evaporating increases the energy in the rock, sucking energy out of the environs. This is why e.g. sweating cools you off. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Toady wrote in that heat transfer as part of the temperature sim; then, as your dwarves create sphalerite rocks while mining, those rocks melt and then evaporate, cooling the air around them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:15:09 am »

That is possible.  I assumed he hadn't modeled latent heat etc., but who knows.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 11:33:23 pm »

But then why the big red clouds of boiling sphalerite?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:36:57 pm »

Technically, the air around us is boiling (boiled?).

I believe boiled objects are deadly in all cases, the only difference being that some freeze you while others burn you to death.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 12:19:03 am »

liquid hydrogen boils at a few degrees above AZ boiling is the process of a Liquid changing state to a gas. the clouds of boiling )Whatever) are still at the tempture they boiled at hence he froze do to the air temp drooping rapidly.
Back to Mafia with me!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 11:43:06 am »

liquid hydrogen boils at a few degrees above AZ

20K and some change.