Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving parts of items  (Read 994 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Engraving parts of items
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:46:10 pm »

Sorry if it's been suggested before, a search didn't get anything QUITE like this...

The main idea of this suggestion is that items would have parts which could be engraved (and exist for no other purpose). This would be as an alternative to 'on the item is...', instead it would be 'on the _____ is...'. Any item (cabinet, weapon, armor) would have any number of 'parts' that work like prefstring tags. In example:

If a sword was given [PART:HILT][PART:BLADE][PART:SHEATH]
Then the engravings might look like:
"On the blade is an engraving of a fire imp in bauxite. On the hilt is an engraving of an elf in microcline. The elf is melting. On sheath is an engraving of a pump in Tigereye."

And so on and so forth, including things that aren't in the raws (cabinets have drawers, sides, tops and backs, so forth).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving parts of items
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 05:55:31 am »

Just had an idea, if 'parts' are implemented, mod the blade to be [HOMOTHERM:1000000000000] and the handle to be safe, so you can hold it and burn things with it.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 11:02:30 am »

A sword made of fire?
Oooooow-ee

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:26:25 am »

Objects will end up looking exceedingly tacky if every last part is engraved with something stupid like socks and elves. Patterns make more sense.  Engraving a serpent on your blade would probably unbalance it too. Now, I have nothing against ceremonial swords in the shape of sea serpents but excessive decoration should have an effect on the performance, perhaps to the point decorative equipment is a separate item class entirely. Dragon head hammers might not be very good in battle but the royal guard is about looking snazzy, not being effective so they'd still have a purpose

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 03:19:00 am »

Sorry if it's been suggested before, a search didn't get anything QUITE like this...

The main idea of this suggestion is that items would have parts which could be engraved (and exist for no other purpose). This would be as an alternative to 'on the item is...', instead it would be 'on the _____ is...'. Any item (cabinet, weapon, armor) would have any number of 'parts' that work like prefstring tags. In example:

If a sword was given [PART:HILT][PART:BLADE][PART:SHEATH]
Then the engravings might look like:
"On the blade is an engraving of a fire imp in bauxite. On the hilt is an engraving of an elf in microcline. The elf is melting. On sheath is an engraving of a pump in Tigereye."

And so on and so forth, including things that aren't in the raws (cabinets have drawers, sides, tops and backs, so forth).
A steel weapon or armor engraved with any other metal (choosable not random) or gems would be fine, how ever I am not so sure about the whole stone or wood adding thing.

To add a little to your idea  I would like to be able to choose my carving/engravings before or after construction of the item.
Also a new (o)rder command that enables you to allow the use of additional metal for the carving/engraving or not.
Allowing to add causes : no damage loss for weapons or increased damage taken for armor due to extra used material, 0.1-0.5 bar/stone/block or 1 gem per item.
Not allowing to add causes : slight reduction of damage of weapons and slight reduction of damage absorbed by armor due to the carvings.

Also I would like to see added to the (z) screen a screen were we are allowed to choose which materials (stone?, metal, gems, wood?) are to be used for the engraving of equipment similar to the way we are allowed to select usable stones.

I however don’t want the carvings on the items to be random. I want to choose carvings for weapons and armor, so that I could give all those in for example the Royal Guard similar armor and weapons as a sign of their job. Maybe even a happy thought for the members because they all wear the same nicely engraved/carved armor and weapons.

The carvings to choose from should in my opinion be randomly chosen by the game due to specific world events or due to diversity of animals and mega-beasts either alive or extinct as long as the players fortress or home civilization had dealings with them in the present or past.

Just had an idea, if 'parts' are implemented, mod the blade to be [HOMOTHERM:1000000000000] and the handle to be safe, so you can hold it and burn things with it.
You do understand that you also burn to a crisp when the burning creature touches or comes to close to you and considering that a burning dwarf likes to run through the entire fortress before finally dying a lot more casualties will probably be reported. Isn’t the wealth increase enough?  :P

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 06:36:23 pm »

Like I said, the major difference here would be syntax, it explains where on the object an engraving is.

The other stuff has been suggested before, I think.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei