Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: when does a miner walk through water to get to the other side?  (Read 960 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
when does a miner walk through water to get to the other side?
« on: September 01, 2009, 10:49:22 pm »

while digging out the aquifer-moat for my barracks, with every ramp dug, the miner ran diagonally through the water, around to the other side, to do something?
then walks around the dry edge to another ramp spot and repeats the proccess.

[IMG]

He's only a dabbling swimmer.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: when does a miner walk through water to get to the other side?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:39:39 pm »

How deep is the water?  If it's less than 4 (I think), they can walk through it normally and it's probably just the usual goofiness with how they dig in inefficient ways.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 09:19:44 am »

Yea, I get similar behavior when I have two rows of channel designations on both sides of a channel, the dwarves will do one, go around and do one on the other side, go back, dig the next one, rinse and repeat.

They can be horribly inefficient at times, not mention that they have a tendency to start on the left and go rightwards when possible. They do break that left-right tendency sometimes (unless it's a small area), but will do it given the chance.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:54:08 pm »

When posting future screenshots, you might want to use the direct link, it's cleaner.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5205/swimmingminer.png

Back on topic, did you say that moat goes around your barracks? That might be a bad idea, sparring soldiers tend to shove each other around and dodge into wet places.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:06:57 pm »

When posting future screenshots, you might want to use the direct link, it's cleaner.

Back on topic, did you say that moat goes around your barracks? That might be a bad idea, sparring soldiers tend to shove each other around and dodge into wet places.

Ahh but thats the whole point;
I want them to learn to swim.

Of course, considering all of the water on the map is a bunch of pools that dried out, it's probably more hazardous than useful.

Also, the moat is filled by an aquifer-but for like a half second the ramp is completely dry.