Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!  (Read 58406 times)

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2009, 10:38:27 am »

Will you make some kind of Legendary summary for players to be able to 'get in' to the world faster? (so that you can quickly see what is happening in the world right now. helps RPing.)
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2009, 01:09:49 pm »

Currently during world generation, all cultural growth and technological growth remains static. Will we ever be able to start up worlld generation and have the civillizations actually discover and invent new technology, science and magic? Will we be able to, say, run World Gen for 5 years and play with a bunch of cavedwarves, World Gen for 20 years and end up with Viking dwarves, World Gen for 50 and get Dark Age dwarves, World Gen for 100 and get Medieval dwarves and just World Gen for the default 200 and get the current Early-ish Renaissance dwarves? If so, will the different civillizations get different rates of development and develop different cultures?

Will we be able to "re World Gen" after we made a world, like a Fast Forward function? What about going back in World Gen time, a la time travel, and maybe even affecting the history of the future?

As for the doctors, will we be able to place an order for surgery of some dwarf that's injured, and will the doctor be able to do that themselves? If so, will we be able to place surgery/amputation orders for perfectly healthy dwarves?

Will we have a "race selection screen" for Dwarf Mode like in Adventurer Mode, where one can select different races to build settlements with?

Will there ever be a definite fix to the catsplosion bug/feature and the-quite literally-legions of tens of thousands of stones? Will you do something about the Dwarven Atom Smasher bug/feature?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2009, 02:11:49 pm »

If I remember correctly, DF was originally written in C and at some later point updated to C++. What was behind those choices? Have you ever regretted that you didn't chose another language? Do you keep up and sometimes consider how other languages might relate to DF development? Is it likely that at some point in the future DF will be updated to some other, perhaps not yet invented, language? Do you think it is likely that some day C++ will become obsolete for some reason, and what will you do then?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2009, 02:37:35 pm »

Will we be able to "re World Gen" after we made a world, like a Fast Forward function? What about going back in World Gen time, a la time travel, and maybe even affecting the history of the future?[/color]

That's been quoted as an 'eventually' thing timed with when the world keeps running in fortress mode.  (I.E. the world will continue to run while you're in a fort too.)

Will there ever be a definite fix to the catsplosion bug/feature?[/color]

Spay and Neutering in a period appropriate way is an 'eventually goal' as well

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2009, 03:32:55 pm »

I've noticed that traders bring me goods decorated with wood and assorted types of rocks, why can't I do that?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2009, 06:59:26 pm »

wrong thread ;-)

anyhoo

i had a few threads up a while ago postulating on how to run an ai city, and since i find the world gen facinating i would like to ask the question:

how are sites going to affect world gen history (fortified sites vs twonships, combat vs trade) and how do you plan to make sites more interesting?

for example, will the new world gen combat be able to take into account how defensible a site is? will we be able to see towns with elaborate wall sytems and towers? are there plans for worldgen to be able to use player designed constructions?

also, does toady find threads that talk about functinaliy usefull, or does he prefer to think about the implementation of game mechanics/other sugestions on his own?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2009, 04:57:36 am »

If it wasn't answered already somewhere:

Is it known already what release after upcoming one will be all about?

and if it was, link please? ;)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2009, 05:04:25 am »

If it wasn't answered already somewhere:

Is it known already what release after upcoming one will be all about?

and if it was, link please? ;)

Came up in the List thread:

In any case, the idea for the release *after* this next release is going to be to tackle one of the main army issues (improved sieges or sending out armies) as well as to take honest stabs at the top 10 or so entries from eternal suggestions (farming is currently among them), and there will probably be another item or two from dev_next that isn't from the Army Arc, though what we want to do from among those constantly shifts.

And also in the first DF Talk:

Quote from: DF Talk 1 Transcript
This also turned out, as far as the timing of 'when are we going to see this kind of thing', there's the return of the guilds, or I don't remember exactly what it's called, up in the eternal suggestions voting up on the suggestions list and it's doing pretty well. I said I'd take a look at the top ones there for next time - now by next time I mean the next series of releases because I really hope I never have a release this long again, it's going to be over a year - so in the short term we're going to be looking at this stuff, it's not like it's just something I'm talking about; we're going to look at this along with the adventurer's skills stuff and the improved sieges; job priorities; improved hauling; I don't remember if improved farming is up there; increased tile support for graphics ... whatever things were up there that people wanted we're going to be looking at.

So, in summary: improved sieges, adventurer skills, and the top 10 entries on Eternal Suggestion Voting, which are currently:
  • Improved Hauling
  • Standing production orders
  • Workshop Material Selection
  • Improved (Speed Up) Pathfinder
  • Job Priorities
  • Improved Mechanics
  • Full graphics support
  • Return of the Guild Masters
  • Auto-mining
  • Farming Improvements

Note that the ESV entries will be considered for implementation -- no guarantees.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 05:14:38 am by Footkerchief »

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2009, 06:27:51 am »

Thanks, that's pretty awesome!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2009, 12:13:12 pm »

How do you see the balance of simulation versus gameplay playing out in adventure mode?

Specifically, what sorts of 'cheats' to make things more interesting do you plan?

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2009, 09:36:34 pm »

Question regarding the Dwarf Fortress in general:

What level of detail do you plan to put into Dwarf Fortress before it is finished? I'll give an example regarding fingernails and toenails. In real life, uncut toenails tend to damage socks. If they are left uncut, and continue to grow, they become a serious health hazard when playing water polo. Will this sort of thing be modelled? Can we expect to see wrestlers who find it necessary to have massive rock-hard toenails and to never wear shoes? Can we expect to see mother dwarves fixing up the socks of her children because she left her nail clippers at the mountainhomes?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2009, 12:38:46 pm »

Regarding the "plaster casts" in the dev list:

What sort of plaster will the casts be made out of, exactly? I've read a tiny amount on the subject and the closest thing to Medieval plaster casts I could find were made from stuff like egg and flour, whereas gypsum-style plaster is from the early 19th century or so.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:40:38 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2009, 01:19:16 pm »

Is there ever going to be anything added(beyond garbage dumps) to help deal with clutter such as clothing and armor left by goblins in traps?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2009, 01:25:32 pm »

Is there ever going to be anything added(beyond garbage dumps) to help deal with clutter such as clothing and armor left by goblins in traps?

An addendum;

Currently, the dropped loot of Goblin invaders adds to your fortress' imported wealth, even if you leave it all unclaimed on the battlefield. Will the new corpse-container system help alleviate this problem , and/or will GCS silk be more limited to prevent inflation?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2009, 03:01:53 pm »

Regarding the "plaster casts" in the dev list:

What sort of plaster will the casts be made out of, exactly? I've read a tiny amount on the subject and the closest thing to Medieval plaster casts I could find were made from stuff like egg and flour, whereas gypsum-style plaster is from the early 19th century or so.

Do you think it'd be cheating to give the dorfs rock castes a few centuries early?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14