Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!  (Read 58392 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2009, 03:24:53 pm »

corvvs: sounds likeyou disco'eredthe real,more e'il rock.  :D

The (aquatic/flying/amphibious) race issue is more one of that at present, the pathfinding system does not work with differently-able creatures well, at least long-range (the short-range attack pf is probably jury-rigged atm to work with eagles, imps, usw.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2009, 06:19:41 pm »

I'd like to know exactly how much customization will be offered by the Caste system. Are there any restrictions on things you can change in castes? Can two castes live in different biomes?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2009, 06:23:15 pm »

I'd like to know exactly how much customization will be offered by the Caste system. Are there any restrictions on things you can change in castes? Can two castes live in different biomes?

The biomes thing is a no-go:

Quote from: Toady One
So, we are just wondering about the possible differences between the castes.  Is it possible that a caste has totally different creature tokes than other castes?

Yeah, most of the tokens work that way.  A few that interact with populations (like biome tokens and frequency) are still creature tokens.

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Trades: Brewing
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2009, 07:20:51 pm »

Like one of your co-hosts, I recently made my own beer. This required boiling about 3 gallons of water with malt and grain, then pouring that mixture into another 2 gallons of cold water for cooling, for a 5 gallon batch. And yet the inhabitants of my current fortress, with no access to any water at all, churn out barrel after barrel of beer using only grain.

How do dwarves make beer without water or heat?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2009, 07:25:57 pm »

How do dwarves make beer without water or heat?

Quote from: eduren
Are there plans to change booze production to need a water source?

Yeah, I don't remember if this is up on dev or just something that has come up before.  It's kind of in the same category of making pets eat again.  It needs some peripheral work to make it feasible.  In this case, I'm just a little worried most about having more ways to get water, especially on maps where there would be some reasonable ways to get water that you can't exploit (ice/rain/etc.), and booze is currently your only anti-thirst measure, as wrong as that is.  Ideally, yeah, you'd want them to use some water.

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Players' spiritual epiphanies
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2009, 07:59:06 pm »

Thanks, Foot!

I have to admit to being intrigued by the description of the weirdest email Toady One has received. I have likewise felt close at times to a profound realization afforded by operating from the perspective a pseudo-god. But I can't say I've been able to bring that sense to completion.

Can you tell us anything more about the insights that person derived from DF? Failing that, have you received other such emails, and is there a pattern to the ideas they describe? And if not, would you care to share anything further regarding your own cynicism, to which you alluded?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2009, 02:06:06 pm »

Is there a plan to put in the ability to fill areas - like dropping [matter] into a river to dam it or a dock in the ocean?

This was discussed in some detail in the last interview:

Quote from: DF Talk 2 transcript
Rainseeker:   I think it that it'd be neat if you allowed us to restore walls - like they're caving in little segments of wall - so that once the siege is gone you could restore your fortress to its former beauty, you know for the people that are annoyed by the digging.
Toady:   Yeah, there's revealed tiles ... I think someone suggested being able to unreveal tiles which I've got no problem with because it's not like that's giving you any benefit, it's just an aesthetic thing. As far as rebuilding walls ... it's sort of weird to be able to rebuild something like an ore vein, like put the crystals back or something ...
Capntastic:   The dwarves are really good ...
Toady:   Yeah, that's the thing ... dwarves are talented. It's something that could be ... It's strange, I'd have to think about how does that work, what are they doing, are they just tying it together with special dwarf beard hair or something like that that makes it work or ...
Rainseeker:   They could just be packing [...] the rocks back in, you know the default rocks that are there.
Toady:   It's not like it's the end of the world for me if someone has a wall that looks how they want it to look, right? I shouldn't care about that, but there's just this kind of strangeness to being able to create a perfect rock wall, in terms of the fact that people that are attacking you that mine through it would then have as much trouble as if they were mining through a wall unless there's some kind of flag that says 'this is actually just a rebuilt pile of crap' or something, right? It still bears some thinking about but I'm definitely aware of the aesthetic side of things and I think it's important that a game mechanic just doesn't destroy that for people, especially people that care, and if we can preserve sieges at the same time, like full fully functional sieges that can dig through things, even for people that care more about the aesthetics of their fortress, that would be the best way to do it, but at the same time I don't want to add a really weird mechanic that might screw something else up or just screw the overall feel of things, so it bears some thinking about.
No, that doesn't answer my question at all. They are talking about rebuilding areas to look like they once were. I'm talking about creating dams and docks in a feasible way. Currently, you have to drain the river, put in the dam, then stop draining it. I want to drop fill into the river till it is blocked. It's a common thing done for years, mostly with garbage.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2009, 02:28:19 pm »

Oops, yeah, my bad.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2009, 02:30:53 pm »

There WAS a bit talking about that, though

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2009, 02:29:21 am »

What are the plans on carrying/transporting other creatures in adventure mode? Could someone do something like carry a ratman in their backpack which they take out and squeeze every so often for wrestling practice?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2009, 02:53:14 am »

Why is it Bay 12? What about Bay 13 and Bay 11?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2009, 03:12:33 am »

Why is it Bay 12? What about Bay 13 and Bay 11?

It's a reference to Aliens.  While Ripley is operating the loader at the beginning, the sergeant tells her to put something in "Bay 12 please!"

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2009, 09:07:25 am »

What about some additional tools for mining? Like hand-barrow for quick hauling of all this stone lying around?
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2009, 09:58:33 am »

Will it be possible to start own fortress in Adventure Mode (having adventure as a leader) and/or doing stuff you usually do in Fortress mode (like digging/building)?

Will 'Player' be represented as a single dwarf in Fortress Mode?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:47:48 am by Kiberkiller »
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2009, 10:23:50 am »

Will there be more build-in music?
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14