Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!  (Read 58354 times)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2009, 07:36:34 pm »

There will be so much new fortress mode stuff in the upcoming version which will radically change the playstyle, but:
How much is Adventure Mode going to be different in this release? For example: Will traps finally work?
Seriously, though, that's the one thing in Adventure Mode that really bugged me. Especially because there's an init option for that. It just doesn't work.
Also: Did you ever think about abandoning the Dwarf Fortress project?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2009, 08:48:07 pm »

Do you like narwhals?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2009, 01:51:31 am »

(disclaimer:answers provided not necessarily indicating unsuitable question. Not to be used for the other use.)
If various civs can have members of other races in them (via slavery, kidnapping, adoption, conquering, subjugation, etc) will a dwarf mode fort ever have the chance to have, say, an adopted human come in with an immigrant wave?
appears to be yes: Req469, HUMAN MIGRANT ISSUES, (Future): In the limited test I did of human migrants in a dwarf fortress, there were several issues, including the humans being treated like tame beasts.
1. Will there be drugs, such as Dwarven LSD, Dwarven Cocaine and other drugs? If so will dwarves start having their own black market operations that could be going on under your nose?
I see what you  did there. Also, hashish and opium and related would be more time-appropriate.
What are your plans for giving a use to extracts and soap?
Soap is in next version for sanitation, I keep hearing.

What new spheres do you think you'll add? Could you go into some of what you think sphere-curses would be like?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2009, 02:34:01 am »

What new spheres do you think you'll add? Could you go into some of what you think sphere-curses would be like?

Sphere curses did come up in the last DF Talk, in case you missed it:

Rainseeker:   [3]Let's talk about spheres for a second. Are the zombies, skeletons, undead and such; are they going to appear only in the undead region sphere now? Or will they come in other areas too.
Toady:   It depends on one of those things we were talking about, like do undead have souls, and what is the undead? If it's somebody combing partially back to life then it could be any sphere that's related to death or rebirth even; it's kind of weird to have the sphere of rebirth have undead things but it's possible.
Rainseeker:   They're good zombies, maybe.
Toady:   Yeah, they're good zombies, with little fairy hats and stuff ... whatever a fairy hat is. But then there's the notion of just animating a corpse, and that's the purview of death or if brooms and stuff are also moving around then it's more of a regular magical thing. But there's also the notion of having some kind of spirits from the underworld populate the body, then that could be any kind of evil.
Ampersand:   There's also another concept of it being a disease that is passed between individuals.
Toady:   Yeah, there's the viral zombie model ... [and] there's also the radiation zombie model I guess. So the viral thing, I don't know ... are they dead? Or are they ...
Capntastic:   Their brain's just messed up by like ...
Toady:   Yeah, viruses. I guess what the 28 Days Later model is it's just sort of a viral rage thing, but they aren't actually dead; is that correct? And then they starve to death. So any of those is fair game as they come up. Now, the undead that'll come in at first; I still have evil regions in this release so things will probably be the same as they were before, and then as I move over to sphere-based regions then at first it's going to be just kind of a death thing I guess, and to make them fairly common those will just be common areas. The whole idea of undead in general is going to be generalised to the notion of a curse, and that could just be some random sphere thing: there could just be a bunch of fire dear, and fire elk, and fire chipmunks and the fire man; that's kind of the cheesy thing that you'd expect out of the game after a while. Of course we can get more sophisticated but you don't start there. Then there's these notions of things like infectious diseases and so on, which we were going to do - not as undead or anything - but just the notion of an infectious disease was going to be part of this release with the venoms, but it was one of those things I had to red out on the list, that I couldn't do diseases because I don't have the time. But anything that's red on that list is pretty much fair game on the short term so I'm not sure what's going on after this. But you can start to move to more and more sophisticated disease models - not just models of their spread which aren't ever going to be that sophisticated in Dwarf Fortress - but just their effects, as we get more and more venom effects and so on; that could actually ... like if you had a venom that can alter your behaviour then you can have a disease that can alter your behaviour. We already have berserker dwarves, so it wouldn't be that far of a step to have a venom and then an infectious disease that can make you berserk, and then you've essentially arrived at the 28 Days Later model.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2009, 03:00:12 am »

Will we be doing anything to have less renditions of engravings of cheese? How about solving the recursive microscopic engraving loop?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2009, 11:56:56 am »

What would happen to the game if you were to, say, die unexpectedly?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2009, 01:12:21 pm »

Are there any plans to add Naga into DF? As my favorite fantasy race, I'd love it if they were in.

They sorta already are: Snakemen.

I refuse to acknowledge this half-inclusion.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2009, 02:14:52 pm »

What would happen to the game if you were to, say, die unexpectedly?

Yeah, we've mentioned my untimely demise before, most recently because this town has lots of drunks and meth and some of the stupidest ass people that yell at you from vehicles as you might ever encounter (despite warnings from well-meaning people with misgivings about Texas, nothing ever happened down there, whereas up here in Silverdale I've been yelled at or had crap thrown at me or whatever no fewer than fifteen times while shopping, etc., even though I walked more down there), and the idea was to release everything.  I should amend that though -- if there are suspicions of foul play, and the preponderance of the evidence suggests that the death was related to getting the source released, then, well, no source then.  Yes, you will be punished for the wrongdoings of others, so pray for my safety!  No killing for the source!

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2009, 05:50:24 pm »

How would you (Toady) feel if someone made a Dwarf Fortress ripoff? Would it encourage you to work harder or depress you? Do you think your donations would fall?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2009, 06:58:45 pm »

I refuse to acknowledge this half-inclusion

Not too much of a difference between Snakemen and Naga except you know... a lot of other things. (Namely that Naga are supernatural creatures)

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2009, 07:50:01 pm »

On running multiple fortresses and/or adventurers in the same universe at the same time:

Have you given the idea of running multiple forts at once much thought? Do you expect this to be possible from the whole "run the entire civilisation" thing you were talking about before, or do you expect to use a different mechanic?

Will the player be able to visit a functioning version of his fortress in adventure mode, instead of being restricted to only visiting abandoned fortresses? Perhaps the player will be able to temporarily resign the controll of the fortress? Or might this also somehow be covered in the "run the entire civilisation" mechanic?

Regarding the idea of the player being able to access a quasi-legends-mode while in Fortress or Adventurer mode:

Will the player be able to easily see the state of the world and all it's wars and so on while playing, and perhaps before embarking? For example, I've heard that while WWII was being fought the papers regulaly had little maps showing where the current frount-lines were and so on. I just think it would be rather cool to be able to have a look at where a war is currently being fought, and then deliberatley go and place a fort just behind the lines, to support the army perhaps. That would give the fort a more "real" purpose, because I doubt that the mountainhomes would, in reality, tell a bunch of dwarves to go out to a random spot for no reason at all.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2009, 08:25:03 pm »

It strikes me - is it rude to simply make a new post whenever I think of a question every few days, or should I just edit / amend my previous post(s)? Anyway.

With the introduction of Castes and genetic traits - hair colour, eye colour, and the like - will we see an overhaul of the reproduction system in Dwarf Fortress? Currently I believe the only checks the game makes is 1) Is it the same species? 2) Will they let me? and 3) Is it female? It's up in Eternal Suggestions with a few votes, but it'd be interesting to hear a bit of discussion on it from the developer. Will we see a system where hybrids - such as mules or Ligers (obviously bred for their skills in magic) - be possible? And, through magical or godly means, hybrids between sentient humanoids and Animals (much like the Tiger- or Snailmen, for instance)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:35:40 pm by Dasleah »
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2009, 08:32:11 pm »

^^^ There's a dev item that would probably address some of that, although it's pretty open-ended.  A pessimist might even call it deliberately vague:

# Bloat46, PROPER PREGNANCY, (Future): Currently creatures become pregnant from a distance, although it does do a gender check at least.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2009, 08:36:31 pm »

^^^ There's a dev item that would probably address some of that, although it's pretty open-ended.  A pessimist might even call it deliberately vague:

# Bloat46, PROPER PREGNANCY, (Future): Currently creatures become pregnant from a distance, although it does do a gender check at least.

Well, to be fair, there's a Bloat for damn near everything.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2009, 01:20:19 pm »

Do you and Zach often have conflicting ideas regarding DF's features?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14