Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!  (Read 58363 times)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Your Questions!
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2009, 06:56:06 pm »

I am a question MACHINE.

If Bay 12 Games could suddenly and mysteriously acquire any existing games franchise, with full rights to develop sequels or remakes as you see fit, what franchise would you choose?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2009, 07:01:59 pm »

I fell of my bike today and had trouble finding some hydrogen peroxide. That inspired THIS question!

Will medicines/medical supplies come into play, since venom effects are going in? I.E. numbing drugs for surgery, with an option to do it without them? Might the Alchemist's Workshop be relevant here?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2009, 07:54:00 pm »

Coming from a fellow coder, How do you motivate yourself to get to work in the morning?
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2009, 08:55:08 pm »

Coming from a fellow coder, How do you motivate yourself to get to work through the night?

Fixed.  ;D

That might answer your question too, heh.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2009, 09:42:56 pm »

Coming from a fellow coder, How do you motivate yourself to get to work through the night?

Fixed.  ;D

That might answer your question too, heh.

Right you are. :P
Coffee is a godsend.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2009, 09:48:51 pm »

Why did you resctict yourself to 16 colors and just the ASCII character set?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:21 am »

Roguelike standard, I assume.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2009, 12:45:29 am »

Dyes can be 16m colors.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2009, 01:57:24 am »

How long will it be before the game's pathfinding supports aquatic and flying races in fortress mode?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2009, 07:40:25 am »

Will there ever be an option to switch Adventurers over to the AI so that they can wander around generating legends and changing the world while you play Fortress mode?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2009, 10:39:55 am »

Edit: "Question" removed.

Yeah, my bad - the "underground" aspect of the voting made me think of it. And I also didn't realize there wasn't a previous bug report for it, I just assumed there would be one. So yeah, confusion of two totally different things in my head resulted in a post somewhere I shouldn't have. My bad!

In other news I posted a bug report for it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:46:21 pm by corvvs »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2009, 12:12:17 pm »

With the talk of various technologies and the thread on the progression of technology, what are your thoughts on it? Right now all races start off at a given tech level and just stay there. Are we going to see some sort of technological progression of races during world-gen at some point?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2009, 12:23:38 pm »

corvvs:  That sounds more like a bug report than an interview question...

Technology in a time, space:  Obviously dwarves have steel and other races don't.  How do you see support for differing tech levels among different entities(civs), races and times behaving?   Do you want to (eventually) support tech evolution on a worldgen timeline?  How much granularity in tech levels do you plan? (Tribal underground animalmen to highly industrial dwarves being the minimum range)  If dwarves can make steel and humans can't, how does that work on a civ level?  Does a dwarf living with humans keep the ability?  A human living with dwarves?

Medicine: There's a lot of talk about new medicine, and even a few comparisons with veterinary medicine.  How do you see the medical profession working in a world with at least 5 intelligent races?  Does it make sense to differentiate Vet medicine from normal Doctors past the point of different races?  Keeping in mind that grapes and chocolate are poisonous to dogs, will medicines even work cross species?  This seems like a good reason for magic to be popular...

Bolded the real questions, drawn out stuff left normal.
A bit ninja'd by Meph, but I'll leave mine as is

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2009, 01:41:55 pm »

Is there a plan to put in the ability to fill areas - like dropping [matter] into a river to dam it or a dock in the ocean?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2009, 01:43:54 pm »

Is there a plan to put in the ability to fill areas - like dropping [matter] into a river to dam it or a dock in the ocean?

This was discussed in some detail in the last interview:

Quote from: DF Talk 2 transcript
Rainseeker:   I think it that it'd be neat if you allowed us to restore walls - like they're caving in little segments of wall - so that once the siege is gone you could restore your fortress to its former beauty, you know for the people that are annoyed by the digging.
Toady:   Yeah, there's revealed tiles ... I think someone suggested being able to unreveal tiles which I've got no problem with because it's not like that's giving you any benefit, it's just an aesthetic thing. As far as rebuilding walls ... it's sort of weird to be able to rebuild something like an ore vein, like put the crystals back or something ...
Capntastic:   The dwarves are really good ...
Toady:   Yeah, that's the thing ... dwarves are talented. It's something that could be ... It's strange, I'd have to think about how does that work, what are they doing, are they just tying it together with special dwarf beard hair or something like that that makes it work or ...
Rainseeker:   They could just be packing [...] the rocks back in, you know the default rocks that are there.
Toady:   It's not like it's the end of the world for me if someone has a wall that looks how they want it to look, right? I shouldn't care about that, but there's just this kind of strangeness to being able to create a perfect rock wall, in terms of the fact that people that are attacking you that mine through it would then have as much trouble as if they were mining through a wall unless there's some kind of flag that says 'this is actually just a rebuilt pile of crap' or something, right? It still bears some thinking about but I'm definitely aware of the aesthetic side of things and I think it's important that a game mechanic just doesn't destroy that for people, especially people that care, and if we can preserve sieges at the same time, like full fully functional sieges that can dig through things, even for people that care more about the aesthetics of their fortress, that would be the best way to do it, but at the same time I don't want to add a really weird mechanic that might screw something else up or just screw the overall feel of things, so it bears some thinking about.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14