Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 251

Author Topic: Bay12's Desktops  (Read 391430 times)

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12's Desktops
« Reply #3495 on: March 18, 2014, 09:41:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the next five minutes.

Heey, at last a fellow Linux user. Linux Mint LXDE, if I'm not mistaken?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3496 on: March 18, 2014, 12:05:54 pm »

Oh right, in case anyone else wants to do that snazzy desktop thing with Electric Sheep and Rainmeter I described above, in order to run a screensaver or Electric Sheep as a desktop background, here's how to do it:

Make a BAT file in Notepad, and put this in (replace es.scr with whatever screensaver you want; in this case, I have Electric Sheep setup):
Code: [Select]
@echo off
start es.scr /p65552
exit

In order to close the screensaver background, make sure you're in it (clicking the taskbar icon of it or ALT+TAB) and ALT+F4 to quit. Some other screensavers are not so friendly about that, and may require Task Manager or Process Explorer to quit them. That's also why I love using Electric Sheep as the main animating background with Rainmeter. It's easy enough to close down and restore back to regular desktop mode with my icons and such.

I also just realized this, but if you also have a 'Show Desktop' button in your taskbar anywhere, you can access your desktop icons and minimize the screensaver background, and depending on Rainmeter settings, keep that up as you click on whatever shortcut you have on the desktop. I'm liking this setup.

EDIT:
Oh, right, and the screensavers used as backgrounds are still adjustable from the screensaver options you can access regularly.

EDIT EDIT:
Alternatively, I guess you can make a shortcut of the screensaver, and add that addition to the command to the link; prevent the command prompt from coming up before it loads.

Forget it; I tried it out, and it doesn't work as well as I thought.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
I tried foobar once and it was FUBAR :v
FTFY
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:15:47 pm by Itnetlolor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: March 18, 2014, 12:09:50 pm »

I tried foobar once and it was awful :v
Awfully great, you mean.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3498 on: March 18, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »

Got my ES-RM desktop finally made. It's a tad redundant, but I like the setup right now. It's prettier than functional, but at least I now don't have just a regular ol' screensaver anymore; same can be said about the desktop (still able to access shortcuts, and bring back the pretty at the drop of a hat), and now it has stats and a few minor controls added to it while at it.

...And yes, the background is animating the entire time, and it looks AWESOME!!!!

EDIT:
It's a tad buggy at times, but it's still able to serve it's purpose. After reloading the duo, the rest of the toolbar came back.

EDIT EDIT:
A good resource-easy application would be having Electric Sheep operating at 5 FPS (default is 30 FPS, and really neat, resource-hungry, and may cause motion sickness is anywhere above 40 FPS (I dare you to use 60 FPS)). Keeps the processing power reasonable, and still animating at a noticeable rate. I think the Android app does something similar to spare battery power or something.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:59:33 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3499 on: March 18, 2014, 02:09:17 pm »

Well, it's more like doing design stuff and getting back into doing art at a more regular basis; IE- remodeling my old ships and such from my sketchpad into Blender3D models. But if it's a like-within-like, for example, physically working out during a physical job/manual labor is a no-go during work-hours (Only real exception being if I'm doing creative work while cleaning, and physically exercising while doing graphic design work), it doesn't count. That should clarify things a tad.

It's basically a way of preventing me from cheating the system by using work as an excuse of fulfilling the Lent task/sacrifice.

EDIT:
Of course, the mental exercise is continuing to learn programs like Blender, keep rust off of programs like Illustrator and Photoshop, coming up with new ideas and concepts, and applying them/debugging applications of ideas (Like with this new ES-RM thing), and so forth. Games, unless sufficiently challenging may somewhat count, but they have to teach me something new, or refine my skills in the process (like reaction timing and such; Race the Sun could work, to a degree on reactions, but it would have to stick with me to count; but that's giving games an excuse to count, which seems a tad unacceptable, since I'll just be playing games, instead of doing something productive.).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:36:58 pm by Itnetlolor »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: March 18, 2014, 03:49:27 pm »

Got my ES-RM desktop finally made. It's a tad redundant, but I like the setup right now. It's prettier than functional, but at least I now don't have just a regular ol' screensaver anymore; same can be said about the desktop (still able to access shortcuts, and bring back the pretty at the drop of a hat), and now it has stats and a few minor controls added to it while at it.

...And yes, the background is animating the entire time, and it looks AWESOME!!!!

EDIT:
It's a tad buggy at times, but it's still able to serve it's purpose. After reloading the duo, the rest of the toolbar came back.

EDIT EDIT:
A good resource-easy application would be having Electric Sheep operating at 5 FPS (default is 30 FPS, and really neat, resource-hungry, and may cause motion sickness is anywhere above 40 FPS (I dare you to use 60 FPS)). Keeps the processing power reasonable, and still animating at a noticeable rate. I think the Android app does something similar to spare battery power or something.

That looks awesome.
It also kinda looks like information overload... Way to busy for me to actually use.
But still Awesome. I applaud you, sir.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3501 on: March 18, 2014, 08:21:00 pm »

I have the option to have a taskbar/sidebar background. I just choose not to use them since it cuts down on the background (even with transparency, it kinda cuts away a tad), which is the main feature. Plus, most info I put up is mostly "At a glance" kind of information. Good for letting my machine idle out while I'm away, but don't quite want the screensaver all the way on (being away for 15-odd minutes or something).

Kinda a pseudo-screensaver with info as I see fit. The BAT file and the time it takes to load up both programs is really quick, and quitting them is just as quick and easy. I just have to remember to shut it/keep it off if I start doing any gaming-related stuff, or anything more intense.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: March 18, 2014, 08:34:53 pm »

Spoiler: The Desktop (click to show/hide)

The painting is The Fighting Temeraire.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: March 18, 2014, 11:41:26 pm »

I just have to remember to shut it/keep it off if I start doing any gaming-related stuff, or anything more intense.
Suggestion: Since Rainmeter obviously has access to various data like CPU usage, code it to automatically shut off when it detects relatively high CPU usage for several seconds or so.

AndClayton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: March 19, 2014, 06:00:09 am »

What would someone Google seearch to be pointed in the right direction of those sweet ass desktop informational widgets?

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: March 19, 2014, 06:37:35 am »

"Rainmeter"
If you're on Windows, that is.
Most of what Itnetlolor has seems to be the standard included widgetry, please correct me if I'm wrong. But it's relatively easy, depending on your coding/scripting skills, to create your own stuff.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: March 19, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »

This is my current desktop.  I made a few of the widgets myself and heavily modified the Enigma theme to make my own custom BordersAndBlocks theme.  I quite like it.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: March 19, 2014, 10:28:28 pm »

This is my current desktop.  I made a few of the widgets myself and heavily modified the Enigma theme to make my own custom BordersAndBlocks theme.  I quite like it.

That wallpaper.
Is epic.

Where's it from?
* SolarShado crosses fingers hoping for a devArt link

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: March 19, 2014, 10:57:18 pm »

Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: March 20, 2014, 12:08:35 am »

* SolarShado crosses fingers hoping for a devArt link

http://real-fiduciose.deviantart.com/art/The-conductor-70376021

Yay!
Was hoping for more robots in the same style, but still some cool stuff.

WALLPAPERS FOR THE WALLPAPER... uh... FOLDER!
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 251