Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 251

Author Topic: Bay12's Desktops  (Read 388980 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12's Desktops
« Reply #2265 on: February 12, 2012, 02:50:03 pm »

Fuck yeah scooters.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: February 12, 2012, 04:42:41 pm »

Also, fuck yeah minimalist icon use. I can't stand a single icon more. Ever.

I cannot tolerate icons on my desktop at all.

For some reason, having absolutely no icons creeps me out. It just makes my desktop feel... I duno, like a static picture or screensaver or something (Especially since I set the taskbar to autohide too). So I keep the absolute minimal amount of icons, with appropriate style to match the background, to make it feel like an actual desktop.

Though I've been toying with the idea of having one single icon right in the middle of this background, called "Everything" or somesuch.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: February 12, 2012, 05:07:48 pm »

Also, fuck yeah minimalist icon use. I can't stand a single icon more. Ever.

I cannot tolerate icons on my desktop at all.

For some reason, having absolutely no icons creeps me out. It just makes my desktop feel... I duno, like a static picture or screensaver or something (Especially since I set the taskbar to autohide too). So I keep the absolute minimal amount of icons, with appropriate style to match the background, to make it feel like an actual desktop.

Though I've been toying with the idea of having one single icon right in the middle of this background, called "Everything" or somesuch.
This, If I wanted a picture, I'd by a damned pictureframe :P
*Hugs*

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: February 12, 2012, 10:18:55 pm »

I've grown quite fond of the 'no icons' look.

On Linux (Arch) I've got a sidebar on the right with clock, tray, etc. (Including custom ASCII art)

On Windows (7) I have the taskbar on the same side, with about 6 pinned apps, and a toolbar pointed at my desktop folder. All the convenience, none of the clutter!

Now that I think about it... I guess it's been a little over a year since I've had any icons on my desktop...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: February 12, 2012, 11:12:06 pm »

I horribly abuse my start menu and taskbar.

This. If I'm gonna have a purdy desktop, I'd like to be able to see it. Having it cluttered up with icons is like buying a picture and putting it behind my CD collection.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: February 12, 2012, 11:42:44 pm »

If I want minimal icons, i can double click and let Fences hide most of them for awhile, then bring them right back up later. But other than that, the only limit to how many are on my desktop is my refusing to make the fences groups any bigger than currently (41 icons in 5 sections). my desktop hasn't changed though, so no need to repost it again in here to show that I think.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: February 13, 2012, 08:16:05 am »

I'm the minimal desktop type.  First, because I love my wallpapers.  Second, because having a neat arrangement of auto-hiding docked menus is far more convenient than a crazy mess of icons vomited onto the screen.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: February 13, 2012, 08:52:00 am »

I use my desktop as it's intended to be used, not as some Liberal arts showcase to myself. The background is called a background for a reason, it's the background of the foreground.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: February 13, 2012, 09:40:02 am »

Exactly! The wallpaper is the background, the little animated ponies are the foreground!

Can't say I agree with you there. At least in my case, it is basically a line between 'no icons at all' or 'screen covered in icons', and given that I have a sort of obsession with that type of order, combined with a desire to actually see my wallpaper, I go with the former.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:55 am »

I use my desktop as it's intended to be used, not as some Liberal arts showcase to myself. The background is called a background for a reason, it's the background of the foreground.
Is it a showcase to myself if I have no icons and a black background... because I rarely see the stupid thing anyway.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: February 13, 2012, 05:56:19 pm »

Swanky. I just have the default gray of X11 without anything on it.

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #2276 on: February 13, 2012, 06:16:25 pm »

[
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I used to have a Rainmeter news text-feed on there, but I found it to be too distracting; couldn't work properly with it there.

Nice, '10cm Per Second' ya?
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 17, 2012, 12:54:53 am »

I'm one of those who is firmly in the icon minimalist camp.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: February 17, 2012, 01:37:52 am »

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:56 am »

Quote from: Alastar
Swanky. I just have the default gray of X11 without anything on it.

Dude, that is hardcore. Like, wow.

Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 251