Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 251

Author Topic: Bay12's Desktops  (Read 389096 times)

Benevolence

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12's Desktops
« Reply #1680 on: June 18, 2011, 10:43:38 am »

Got a laptop through the university I'll be going to recently, so it gets a new desktop image.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It leaves a bunch of black space on all sides, but I don't mind since I can just put all the icons there without obscuring the picture. /o/

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: June 18, 2011, 11:14:48 am »

I was using GIMP to take the screenshot, but I did not want it to get in the way. I am not really sure why I not think to just get a screenshot utility from the repositories.
Are you using some terrible 'nix distro that doesn't include the print screen button functionality?
Or are you just over-complicating the act of printing your screen?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 18, 2011, 11:35:40 am »

Are you using some terrible 'nix distro that doesn't include the print screen button functionality?
Or are you just over-complicating the act of printing your screen?

If I am running a Linux distribution, I think it is fair to assume that I have enough familiarity with a keyboard to be aware of the Print Screen button. The answer is the first one, but Arch Linux is not terrible. I never needed to use it until now, so I never bother to do anything about it.

I shall not be using this distribution much longer anyway.

wad67

• Bay Watcher
  • HI :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 18, 2011, 07:44:19 pm »

Windows Vista FOR THE WIN
YAY!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 18, 2011, 07:49:39 pm »

ME PEACHA
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 19, 2011, 12:02:08 am »

NO. GET RID OF IT RIGHT NOW.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: June 19, 2011, 02:57:35 am »

If I am running a Linux distribution, I think it is fair to assume that I have enough familiarity with a keyboard to be aware of the Print Screen button. The answer is the first one, but Arch Linux is not terrible. I never needed to use it until now, so I never bother to do anything about it.

$ pacman -S scrot
$ (sleep 5 ; scrot Desk.png) & exit

backgrounds a subshell to take the shot and closes the term; nice and clean :)

??? mind if I ask why? Arch is awesome (even if I don't know of a way to make the printscreen key work outside of gnome/kde/xfce :P)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: June 19, 2011, 04:46:26 am »

Openbox has a way of working keyboard shortcuts, you just need to know the "name" of the print screen key.

e,
Code: (../openbox/rc.xml) [Select]
  <keybind key="Print">
    <action name="Execute"><execute>scrot Desk.png</execute></action>
  </keybind>
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:55:23 am by ILikePie »

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: June 19, 2011, 05:16:53 am »

$ pacman -S scrot
$ (sleep 5 ; scrot Desk.png) & exit

backgrounds a subshell to take the shot and closes the term; nice and clean :)

??? mind if I ask why? Arch is awesome (even if I don't know of a way to make the printscreen key work outside of gnome/kde/xfce :P)
I'd probably use arch, but the lack of package signing is a dealbreaker for me.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: June 19, 2011, 10:46:53 am »

Package signing?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: June 19, 2011, 11:15:47 am »

I have no complaints with Arch; it is an excellent distribution. I wish to become more knowledgeable about Linux, and, to that end, I have decided to use the Linux From Scratch guide to build my own system, and there is little reason for me to use anything but the result, as it will be a system entirely customized for myself.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: June 19, 2011, 01:15:39 pm »

Package signing?
In brief, it's a way to verify that the package hasn't been tampered with since the developer pushed it onto the official repos.  In the event a mirror gets compromised and someone puts modified packages up,  a package manager that uses package signing will tell you and not install the package (unless you REALLY want to install it).  With arch, if a mirror gets compromised you'll have no way of knowing until someone catches it.  Someone could hack a mirror, or even offer the developers their services as a mirror, and then upload malicious packages.  If you're using that mirror, you're screwed.

For an example of the kind of thing that this will allow, see http://forums.unrealircd.com/viewtopic.php?t=6562  It isn't a linux distro, but it shows how hacked mirrors can cause huge security problems.

http://lwn.net/Articles/434990/ for more information about arch's lack of package signing.  I don't really care about all the politics, but I will need package signing before I install arch again. 

It really is a pity, I love pretty much everything else about arch, but I can't put myself at risk like that.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: June 19, 2011, 01:26:22 pm »

Where? How? How may I acquire this godly wallpaper?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: June 19, 2011, 02:00:56 pm »

[...]
If you like the idea behind Arch, give Gentoo a try. It has you compile packages instead of letting you download binaries, but otherwise it's the same (Maybe Debian unstable too, I think it's called Sid nowadays.).

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: June 19, 2011, 02:04:29 pm »

[...]
If you like the idea behind Arch, give Gentoo a try. It has you compile packages instead of letting you download binaries, but otherwise it's the same (Maybe Debian unstable too, I think it's called Sid nowadays.).
I've done the gentoo thing, but running a gentoo system is too much a pain the in the ass.  Love the concept though.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 251