Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 251

Author Topic: Bay12's Desktops  (Read 388889 times)

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12's Desktops
« Reply #825 on: July 12, 2010, 02:09:10 am »

Double post, sorry. I miss-clicked 'quote' instead of 'modify' to add a period. Where is this coveted Delete button the help talks about so explicitly?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:18:11 am by Azrathud »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 12, 2010, 04:02:00 am »

I personally like to use My Documents rather than spewing everything on my desktop. :P

Spoiler: Desktop (click to show/hide)

Same.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 12, 2010, 04:12:04 am »

I personally like to use My Documents rather than spewing everything on my desktop. :P

Pah.  I used to do that, a few years ago.  Then I got all paranoid about backing up files, while not wanting to duplicate effort and back things up twice (which is kinda the point of backups, but whatever).  So I used my desktop as a staging area for all new files, to be placed in more appropriate locations later.  "Later" being the next time I conducted a system-wide backup, because I'm OCD like a motherfucker and don't want to move anything out of wherever I originally dropped it.  Especially since leaving everything to que up on the desktop makes an interesting, if mildly disturbing, timeline of my activities.

Anyway, my latest desktop.  I reformatted lately, and just left the background system-default teal.  Since about 2003, I've been using various Sonic the Hedgehog shots and promos for desktop art, for no particular reason beyond them being kinda cool to look at, and I find a new one every other year or so.  This was the first time I went looking for one, just on principle.
Spoiler: I found this. (click to show/hide)

Searching DeviantArt for anything "sonic" related yields a lot of awful results, but this at least is clean, spacious, and fairly easy to look at.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 12, 2010, 05:13:39 am »

What did Bangladesh do wrong?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 12, 2010, 05:16:44 am »

Whatever it was, Jordan and the UAE must be complicit.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 12, 2010, 05:20:08 am »

Same.

Me too, kinda. I put everyhting in c:/Users/me/, and went all 'burn it' on my desktop cluttering icons. And I finally tried rainmeter. The icon under the date is the only shortcut, it took me a while to find an icon that didn't look to bad and I had to trick windows into using a hardspace as file name, but I managed to fit it in.

Spoiler: big picture (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 12, 2010, 05:44:36 am »

What did Bangladesh do wrong?
I'd like to see you squeeze the text "Bangladesh" in there! ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #832 on: July 12, 2010, 06:02:43 am »

But what about the UAE? That's short enough to fit in there.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 12, 2010, 06:15:22 am »

Over 16 hundred folders? How do you navigate through all that without getting lost?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 12, 2010, 06:20:01 am »

Over 16 hundred folders? How do you navigate through all that without getting lost?
Depending on layout, it could be very organized...

media/music/artist/album/

That's 4 folders, but it's in a very organized manner to make it easy to find what you want.

media/pictures/vacation/grandcanyon/

etc...  (edit: this is how I organize my folders... and it's one of my biggest gripes with Linux Applications that like to store their settings in any one of a million different ways.  I wish I could get them all to agree to put their settings folders in $settings/appname/ or something similar.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:22:56 am by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #835 on: July 12, 2010, 06:21:33 am »

More likely it's a bunch of stuff created by various programs for storing metadata and such.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 12, 2010, 08:15:41 am »

I just dump everything on my desktop, but hide the icons.

this is what it looks like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I took the picture myself.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #837 on: July 12, 2010, 11:20:50 am »

Which mountain would that be?

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 12, 2010, 11:56:25 am »

More likely it's a bunch of stuff created by various programs for storing metadata and such.

Bingo!

322 folders are from my 9 versions of Dwarf Fortress, 152 folders are from Photoshop Portable CS4 Extended, about the same amount as the latter from my programming projects, and the rest are in small amounts.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 12, 2010, 01:15:11 pm »

I just dump everything on my desktop, but hide the icons.

this is what it looks like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I took the picture myself.
Ha, that's the first time I've seen a Windows 7 with a proper left-to-right interface. I shall cherish this moment for ever and ever.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 251