Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 251

Author Topic: Bay12's Desktops  (Read 388863 times)

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
Re: Bay12's Desktops
« Reply #855 on: August 17, 2010, 07:23:18 pm »

I just got a second monitor, so this is my desktop now:

And this is the only thing I use it for  8)

(I am actually serious, the only thing I use the second monitor for is DF.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:24:56 pm by Volatar »
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 17, 2010, 10:24:17 pm »

I use my second monitor for my steam chat windows and Google talk so I can see when someone messages me while I'm in a game.  Oh, and also the taskbar with the clock. :p

I think your second monitor is being more productive than mine.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 17, 2010, 10:40:37 pm »

How'd you get the taskbar to span across both screens Volatar?

EDIT:
Spoiler: here's mine (click to show/hide)
Found the wallpaper in the Blender gallery

EDIT2: heh, my desktop's the same color as the forum background :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:45:23 pm by SolarShado »
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 17, 2010, 11:07:17 pm »

How'd you get the taskbar to span across both screens Volatar?
I know nVidia had a setting for that... not sure where it's buried now.  The "downside" to it though is that some games recognize the entire width as a single screen so if you load up something in fullscreen it will place your center of focus right where the borders of your monitors are (if they are both the same resolution, etc.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 17, 2010, 11:39:01 pm »

Oh, is that what "TwinView" is? I've heard of it...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #860 on: August 18, 2010, 06:56:21 am »

Actually, my taskbar stretched across both screens because windows has no idea that I have two screens (dual headed graphics card). I actually don't like it that way though, so after I took this picture I went into Control Panel -> Nvidia nView Desktop Manager and disabled that. I also set it so that things can't stretch across the screens (I can hit fullscreen and it fills one screen), and error messages pop up on the left screen, rather than in the middle where I can't read them :)
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 18, 2010, 11:16:45 am »

SO. MANY. ICONS. *weeps*

Could be worse. The store I work at had one customer who literally had more icons and files on the desktop than windows could display even at max resolution. As well as more things running in the system tray than windows would display. It gives up on those at 100 or so.

My home desktop and work desktop are relatively clean. Not spartan but definitely not too bad. At work it's a bunch of PDFs that I need. At home it's mostly shortcuts to games.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:18:31 am by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 18, 2010, 11:38:15 am »

Here's mine at work...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I used to have only Recycle Bin, My Computer, My Network Places, and My Documents and then use the Quick Launch for all of my icons. But now I've decided it's easier to just add the Desktop as a tool bad on the task bar and throw all the icons there. That way I can get to them however I want.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 18, 2010, 11:39:24 am »

I have more icons than my desktop can show, but I have them turned off, since I use the desktop more for a temp space than anything else.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 18, 2010, 01:09:26 pm »

I have more icons than my desktop can show, but I have them turned off, since I use the desktop more for a temp space than anything else.

That probably won't slow windows down then, but if they are all visible then all the stuff gets loaded into memory and slows down the computer. (WAY down if you have thousands of files like the guy I was talking about had, and he had installers and stuff too, not just shortcuts.)

I keep a shortcut to a 'junk' folder on the desktop so I can easily put files there instead. Load on the operating system: 1 shortcut.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 18, 2010, 01:45:07 pm »

SO. MANY. ICONS. *weeps*

Could be worse. The store I work at had one customer who literally had more icons and files on the desktop than windows could display even at max resolution. As well as more things running in the system tray than windows would display. It gives up on those at 100 or so.

My home desktop and work desktop are relatively clean. Not spartan but definitely not too bad. At work it's a bunch of PDFs that I need. At home it's mostly shortcuts to games.
Wait, how do you have more icons than desktop? I thought that couldn't happen.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 18, 2010, 01:58:32 pm »

Just keep saving stuff to the desktop... :D  I don't recommend it though, it slows down windows a fair bit, especially on older machines.

How do you USE icons on the desktop if you can't see them? You can open the desktop folder, it's a directory like any other, except the contents are shown on the desktop.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #867 on: August 18, 2010, 02:51:32 pm »

Just keep saving stuff to the desktop... :D  I don't recommend it though, it slows down windows a fair bit, especially on older machines.

How do you USE icons on the desktop if you can't see them? You can open the desktop folder, it's a directory like any other, except the contents are shown on the desktop.
You can actually change what folder displays on the desktop using the environment variables. I'm not sure what that might screw up though.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 18, 2010, 03:06:32 pm »

Not much if you know what you're doing.

When I was eight I used to think it was cool to have tons of icons, so hit ctrl + a and create shortcut. It wasn't a very pleasant sight. Also, to add more stuff than your desktop can show (and to view it later on) open your desktop in explorer.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 18, 2010, 03:27:18 pm »

The only cool thing in my desktop is the backgrounds. Now only if I could make a program that automatically changed them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The TF2 achievement icons are surprisingly suitable for my taste in desktop backgrounds, simple sleek pictures with few colors.

Taking this picture finally made me delete all the unnecessary shortcuts. Though I left all the flash games made by a friend of mine.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 251