Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 251

Author Topic: Bay12's Desktops  (Read 376553 times)

axeman157

• Bay Watcher
  • ...And my Mi-Go!
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12's Desktops
« Reply #2460 on: July 14, 2012, 07:54:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is what my desktop looks like. Pay no (or all) attention to my wallpaper.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: July 14, 2012, 07:59:47 pm »

Har har! Icon-laden desktops tremble before the might of the tiling window manager! Currently using Arch Linux with XMonad.

Spoiler: 1920x1080 (click to show/hide)

I actually have a second, 1680x1050 screen to the left, but I cut that part out because unless it has stuff on it, it looks just like the main one minus the title bar. I usually mess about on the main screen and browse the web on the other. It's also very convenient when playing Dwarf Fortress, as I can, for instance, put DF in fullscreen on the primary screen and DT, DFHack, and Soundsense on the secondary one.

(For all those interested or technically inclined, my title bar consists of two dzen2 instances, one on the left and one on the right. The left one takes workspace input piped from XMonad, while Conky pipes to the right one. Features on the right bar are, from left to right: MPD status [Playing/paused, current song's author and title], CPU use, RAM use, GPU temperature, ALSA master volume, and date and time.)

On a somewhat related note, the seemingly Arch-centric fad of having the entire right side of the desktop consumed by Conky output is, to me, equivalent to icon clutter. Who actually needs to know their individual CPU temperatures, anyway? I'm thinking of making the right side have a drop-down menu for the extra stuff, just in case.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:06:49 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: July 14, 2012, 08:08:25 pm »

Why do you guys even have desktops if you're not going to use them?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: July 14, 2012, 08:21:15 pm »

Yeah. Might as well just get a digital picture frame or something, it'd be a lot cheaper.
*Hugs*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: July 14, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »

I want a picture frame that can play Dwarf Fortress.    :o
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: July 14, 2012, 08:43:38 pm »

I want a picture frame that can play Dwarf Fortress.    :o

+1

Point of fact, my literal Desk Top is clean of anything- all my stuff is in the drawers, and I pull it out as needed. My computer desktop has the advantage of being pretty.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: July 14, 2012, 10:41:28 pm »

Why do you guys even have desktops if you're not going to use them?

I don't use my desktop for icons, because I don't feel that they help my computing, but I do display information on it that is likely to be useful to me at all times (see the top bar-- I'm also considering using some of the extra space below it to place relevant RSS feeds, e.g. the Arch Linux release news, which one should check before each update). I actually find the use of desktop icons to be a hindrance because they tend to be covered by windows, so I have to move my work aside to click on them. Instead, I use either shortcut keys (for very common applications), or dmenu, which is itself bound to a shortcut key and can launch virtually any program with a few keystrokes due to its autocompletion.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:03:47 am by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:18 am »

A glimpse into my soul...
Why not just have three tab groups in firefox instead of three windows? It would save some taskbar space.

Can I do that in Windows XP? :P

That and I hate learning new interfaces, which is ironic coming from someone who intentionally blasts his mind into unrecognizable states of weirdness.

Either way, I like to be a LITTLE space-efficient, but not too efficient. If I really wanted to be tidy, I could have a folder called Links where all those links to other folders could be put... But I don't. I want it all right where I can see it.

As for tabs and firefox, having 2 windows with 36 tabs between them, plus one window I closed right after using it, was my compromise after they introduced tabs and I decided to go along with it.

:P Tab groups, let's see how long I can hold off on that new fangled technology. I managed to avoid getting a cellphone until 2007, and I'm still using Windows XP on my desktop machine. I'm only just now considering updating to Windows 7, and only because of the hardware limits I've run into regarding RAM and disk space. I hate the operating system itself.

Speaking of not saving space... I have a dual boot with Linux and I love being able to switch between multiple desktops loaded with whatever junk I want on each of them. Why simplify your interface when you can add dimensions? :P (Edit: Ubuntu to be specific...)
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: July 15, 2012, 09:23:35 am »

If you have FF4 or higher, yes. Go to customize toolbar, and there should be a tab groups button. Stick it somewhere, click it, and you get a window that you can drag tabs between groups, make new ones by dragging them out of a group, or close entire groups at once.

Also, change tabs on top off if you want and reactivate the menu bar if you don't want the Giant Orange Button.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: July 15, 2012, 09:50:27 am »

Okay I tried it. :P

I still prefer separate windows. Easier to access, and I can see titles immediately on my desktop without entering a menu that covers everything I was looking at before.

I prefer just single-clicking a title in the taskbar to switch windows.

I already have a habit of forgetting I've got a whole bunch of tabs of one topic of other open... Let's not make it worse by hiding extra groups in an invisible space. :P
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: July 15, 2012, 09:52:28 am »

Well, you tried, thats more than I can say about a lot of people.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: July 15, 2012, 06:11:40 pm »

Tab groups in XP are pretty bad to be honest, they hide necessary information without giving much back in return (unless you have like 20 windows open), they get MUCH better in windows 7 however.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: July 15, 2012, 06:28:24 pm »

Finally got around to trying Linux. I am enjoying it immensely.
[/post]

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: July 15, 2012, 07:24:36 pm »

Finally got around to trying Linux. I am enjoying it immensely.

Yay, one more convert!
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: July 15, 2012, 07:33:03 pm »

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 251