Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 251

Author Topic: Bay12's Desktops  (Read 389175 times)

Urist McMalaclypse

• Bay Watcher
  • Physician of Philosophy
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12's Desktops
« Reply #1125 on: January 02, 2011, 08:55:27 am »

Backtrack Linux 4. I was looking for something to run a USB flash drive, and I just happened to find this little sucker. It's got everything from your standard gnu toolchain and editors to disassemblers and dehashing tools. A bit to heavy for my tastes, I also don't like the fact that it runs KDE (The lack of keyboard shortcuts can drive a guy insane :-P.). It's great and all, but I think I'd be better off putting together my own set of tools using Slackware. I'll give it a shot later this week.

Slackware's nice, especially on a desktop; I have it running on my laptop, but it took some significant doing to make everything work with some of the more obscure hardware.

Backtrack is also nice, but be careful where you use it if you like to run it on other people's machines, especially around schools or businesses; since Backtrack is primarily a security tool, it could get you in trouble.
After a long time of fleeing unsuccessfully, she did what any cornered dwarf would do:  she sucker punched her own baby and then kept running.
Good god man, cats training cats? That's like how every robot apocalypse starts. But with cats.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 08, 2011, 12:21:26 pm »

Meh, Backtrack creeps me out. Anyway, I promised I'd get something running on my usb drive, and so I did:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Slackware 13.1 running Openbox, xcompmgr, urxvt, midnight commander, and xchat/firefox. All running off of a 4 gig usb stick.
Installed Slackware a few times on my drive, just to get the hang of things. Put together an initrd, installed grub, and to my surprise, it booted up just like any other operating system. I spent the rest of the week configuring it to my leisure.
Slackware doesn't come with a way to download packages off the net, so I wrote my own apt-get-like program that does just that. Earlier, some guys at #slackbuilds told me some guy already thought of that last year :-|. Great, I just wasted 12 hours of my life.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 08, 2011, 03:31:33 pm »

Well, Gnometer's working out well on my Windows 7 install, and I really like it so far.

Spoiler: Click for full image (click to show/hide)

Backtrack Linux 4. I was looking for something to run a USB flash drive, and I just happened to find this little sucker. It's got everything from your standard gnu toolchain and editors to disassemblers and dehashing tools. A bit to heavy for my tastes, I also don't like the fact that it runs KDE (The lack of keyboard shortcuts can drive a guy insane :-P.). It's great and all, but I think I'd be better off putting together my own set of tools using Slackware. I'll give it a shot later this week.

Ah, thanks for showing me that. I'm downloading the distro right now.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1128 on: January 08, 2011, 06:01:53 pm »

Well, Gnometer's working out well on my Windows 7 install, and I really like it so far.

Spoiler: Click for full image (click to show/hide)

Ah, thanks for showing me that. I'm downloading the distro right now.
Nice torrents :P

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 08, 2011, 06:49:32 pm »

I probs should have blurred those but I think I can trust you guys enough.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 08, 2011, 06:55:29 pm »

Man, what a sockdolager you pulled on him.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 08, 2011, 07:33:29 pm »

I must say, that was pretty hilarious.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: January 09, 2011, 01:56:49 am »

My amazingly creative desktop at the moment. After one too many times of waking up to be greeted by bright desktop eye rape, I decided just to go for a full black-out, with only a RSS feed of a torrent tracker remaining.

6:55 in the morning, time for bed.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: January 09, 2011, 02:06:30 am »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: January 09, 2011, 03:01:20 am »

I have trouble using anything but this now.
Damn high-contrast has screwed my eyes over, so now all-black hurts, as does all-white.
Full images are okay, but they tend to seem fuzzy for some reason.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 11, 2011, 11:49:38 am »

I had a sudden rush of geekiness, so I found this picture and added buttons with rainmeter:

Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 11, 2011, 07:46:41 pm »

I had a sudden rush of geekiness, so I found this picture and added buttons with rainmeter:

Cool :)
which series is it from? the only one i'm familiar with is SG1

EDIT: nvm, noticed "city status", so must e from atlantis
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:51:48 pm by SolarShado »
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1137 on: January 11, 2011, 07:50:26 pm »

Fairly bland...

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 12, 2011, 12:06:41 am »

I feel incredibly boring, all I have is the default Insperon wallpaper.
Hello Hunam

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 12, 2011, 12:08:01 am »

i got Anya Stroud death staring me.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 251