Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cave boats  (Read 760 times)

Jim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cave boats
« on: August 25, 2006, 12:32:00 pm »

i think that cave boats could be a fun addition to dwarf fortress.  they could be used as an alterative way to cross the river, and fisherdwarves can ride them and catch more fish.  boats could also be used as emergency vehiclces for drowning dwarves.  tools and materials could be carried by boats.  there can also be a sort of sewage system that includes boats too, for example dwarves could gather a bunch of refuse in the boat, then the boat could travel to the chasm, be emptied, etc.  you could also turn your fortress into an underground Venice, and have channels as another mode of transportation.  using the boat would also make you more vulnerable to frogmen, lizarmen, and crocodile attacks.  not sure if there have been any other suggestions about boats but i'm thinking it would be a good bloat.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cave boats
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 12:55:00 pm »

A boat is actually on the development list although perhaps not exactly with those functions in mind. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html
Use this page along with ctrl+f to check if something isn't planned already.

Shujaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »

Aren't dwarves traditionally supposed to be averse to water vehicles? Or is that not being applied in this universe?

[ August 25, 2006: Message edited by: Shujaa ]

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 04:15:00 pm »

no, Dwarves would make boats, they take any challenge, as a challenge, they just prefer the underground for the shinies.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 05:39:00 pm »

Boats, huh? Great, another thing that has to be made out of wood. Woodless maps just keep getting harder...

(I guess you could use metal for boats, but even getting to the point where you can use magma forges requires lots of wood... Hey, Pumice floats, right? Maybe stone boats would work. Although, I do suppose that having a pourous boat wouldn't be a great idea...)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 07:30:00 pm »

A lot of modern ocean liners are made of concret; it's not so much the mass of materials used these days as it is the amount of water displaced.