Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feasts!  (Read 1021 times)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Feasts!
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

The player should be able to hold feasts from his dining room. Nobles and legendary dwarves would attend, and the cooks would prepare and serve lavish meals for the event. The more selfish nobles should want feasts occasionally. Dwarves could play instruments and such. Those eating at the feast would scarf down more food than necessary. Mugs of ale should be provided at each table.

The more good things the player provides (entertainment, dining room quality, number of dwarves attending, food variety & quality, etc.) the bigger the happy thought gained from the feasting. A bad feast, however, could give the dwarves a negative thought (especially nobles.)

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feasts!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

ive thought of this thing too, and it would be really cool ^^

also, a fort without any feasts would get fewer migrants and give dwarves unhappy thoughts after a long while

een failing lately?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

This is sort of what parties are, isn't it?

Seth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »

I don't like the idea of the player organizing it. How about festivals?  They are held yearly in commemoration of an event (Dragon was slain, King's son's birthday (maybe this should be held just on the initial birth), the Fortress was founded).  They should be fairly rare, and only a few can remain popular at a time to prevent festival back up.  Maybe parties and smaller feasts could work the same way, like celebrating a child's birthday.  Seems like that could end up in a lot of time where your dwarves aren't working, though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 06:35:00 am »

Commoner birthdays would only be attended by close relatives and friends though, not the whole fort (unless the whole fort really is "one big happy family").

I quite like the idea of feasts.  Seems very dwarven, somehow.

I also quite like the idea of mugs actually being used for something.  Goblets, cups, steins and mugs don't really have a whole lot of use as it is, even as a trade good.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 07:11:00 am »

I like the idea of holding "the day we butchered a Dragon" feasts.  Especially if your dwarfs can play on their new Dragon-skin drums and sup from their rope reed mugs and all.
It'd be cool to have artifacts brought out for display at feasts, and have the dorfs bask in the glory of their fellow craftsdwarves.  Or to invite traders in for dinner. (mmm!  basted Elf haunch)
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:43:00 am »

Dwarfs who can't attend private, personal feasts, say due to conscription, should gain unhappiness.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

And hopefully, the more scheduled holidays they have, the less likely they are to organize a spontaneous party when there's work to be done for the dwarves who are still alive.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

There could be some sort of Party-o-Metar which increases the longer it was since the last hey what?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

In my fortress, every day is celebrate we're still alive day!
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mikademus:
<STRONG>In my fortress, every day is celebrate we're still alive day!</STRONG>

Still alive!