Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: unhappy thought: Blind  (Read 813 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
unhappy thought: Blind
« on: June 02, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

I just noticed, for some reason dwarves regard having both eyes torn out as a minor wound. They also don't seem to care about being completely blinded in any other fashion.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games
Re: unhappy thought: Blind
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »

If all you had to stare at all your life were elephant mutilated friends, rocks, and dwarven women, you wouldn't mind so much either.   :D

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »

Hehe... be good if being blind in adventure mode removed the map display. In fact, I insist on it  :D

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »

It's too bad we don't have directionality in Adventure Mode.  If we did, we could make losing one eye reduce your 180-degree vision hemisphere by 70 or 80 degrees on the side where you lost the eye.

E.g.,

code:

.....########################.....
....##########################....
...############################...
...############################...
..##############################..
.################################.
.################@###############.

.........####################.....
..........####################....
...........####################...
............###################...
.............###################..
..............##################..
...............#################..
................#################.
.................@###############.

If blindness did cause the inability to detect anything, objects should still intermittently appear on your screen, generally inversely proportional to their distance from you, simulating the net effect of your other four senses as well as your basic gut instinct.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Gibby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

Don't all head wounds lead to random unconsciousness, though? That seems penalty enough to me. I know the only dwarf I've had lose both eyes and survive had this problem til he went fey and became unbelievably tough.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:36:00 am »

Yes, they do, but that's a bug.  Once a wound "scars over", the being should be able to get on with its life.

quote:
Req85, PAIN DEADENING AND SCARS, (Future): Wounds should stop hurting after a while (unless they get infected). Eventually, wounds should scar over, and you should be able to view scars (they would be maintained on your old foes between games, etc.).
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 04:05:00 am »

Seems dwarfs are very sensitive about their looks. One scar and they loose the will to live.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 04:14:00 am »

I've never been a fan of directional vision, at least not vision blockage that's always enforced.  At any little sound or anything like that, you have a neck, and you can turn as you're walking.  That's being simulated by the 360 view, pretty much.  It could still come up with the focusing that go on during combat, I guess.  Right now, when a creature attacks, it puts a value on it pointing it toward its target.  This is when you can get attacked from behind or from the side, as you sometimes see in adv mode.  Later on, there will likely be some kind of situational awareness skill that counters this effect.  It could narrow a vision cone if your focus goes in a certain direction too far.  Haven't thought about that much.  Hopefully it wouldn't be too distracting.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »

I was a bit ambiguous.  If we did have directional vision, it'd be easy to represent the effect of missing one eye because your vision cone would decrease.  However, I'm not advocating that we adopt a vision cone.  The system works just fine as-is.

Rather, one would just have to figure out how to handle the reduced visual sensitivity and reduced depth perception that comes from having no more than one eye facing a given target.

(Birds, who don't have depth perception due to their massive peripheral vision, have a general strategy:

If something moves fast, run.
If nothing moves, turn head just in case something might be moving somewhere else.)

[ June 04, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]