Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Racebell! (also known as yet another anonymous succession game)  (Read 11598 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Racebell! (also known as yet another anonymous succession game)
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:38:08 am »

Hello! I'm not going to Flaunt My Personality with huge letters and such, I'll just throw down the rules.
how boring of me.

Rules are as follows.
One year, 1 Granite to 1 Granite. As soon as the fucking annoying "Spring has arrived" appears, stop it, save it and get rid of it.

Log everything. Create a Persona. Be entertaining. Don't try to copy StarkRavingMad... he had his thing, have yours.

We'll keep seasonal backup on, just in case somebody screws around with magma and destroys everything, so we can revert.

There is a mega-project started: You don't know what it is. I don't know what it is, don't tell anybody what you think it is. Just try and continue it in whatever fashion that you think fits. At the end we'll have a big unveiling along the lines of "Surprise! It was meant to be a PONY!"

We are using 40d vanilla, because it doesn't require much init changing from computer to computer, If there's a problem, tell me.
Note: There was a problem, and I was told. Don't bother sending along the entire game, cos the index file will go missing. just send the region folder

Try and get in touch somehow with the person next in line, either through PM's or such, whatever, just so that they know how you are going to get it to them, rapidshare, email, etc (try to use dffd for most of it. Easiest), and whether or not they can use 7zip/blakhole/cabinet/jar/rar/zip files. We don't want to miss turns.

If you have to end it early, your year will be CUT from the saves, and the story will continue as follows. Come back again, and you'll be put at the end of the list to try again.

Rock is bad. It lags. There is a chasm, there is a bridge... use it. Alternatively, build a DAS.

Now that that annoying stuff is over: Here is the player list. I'm going off usernames, but feel free to post here if you want to change it to something SWEET!

1. *Mysterious first User* - Finished
2. Homicidalcaptain - Finished
3. Tacken. (Tack) - Cunt Noble
4. Vester. - Finished
5. Jackrabbit. - Pussied out.
6. Uttaku - Finished
7. Drunkenbear - Skipped
8. DemonicSpoon - Pending
9. Ezk1

Step right up, and all that. Post, or PM me if you want in, though First in is first on the list, and I check PM's first. Also it's less messy.

Now for the Advertisment.

WE HAVE:
River
Magma pool
Magma pipe
Chasm
Underground river
Trees

Troglodytes, Giant Bats, Cave Crocodiles, Olmmen, Lizardmen, antmen, snakemen, frogmen, gremlins and fire imps.
NO AQUIFIER
NO TIME LIMITS
no elephants...
NO CARP

... Also we are four squares away from a goblin fortress on the regional map.

Here's the first post from the mysterious first user.

Well, this year has been a failure. Too late to try again from the start in character, but I don’t care, figured I’d better throw in this to tell you what I have and have not done. Work on the irrigation is halfway through, with one floodgate built and attached, and the other not even built yet. Bedrooms are primitive, though they have been started, planned, and the walls undesignated. No barracks, no soldiers, one woodcutter, no axe. Notice my incredible luck in finding the underwater lake, without drowning. I have also walled off the mechanics room – because of the nasties in the lake, and the magma pool – same with the fire imps. The forge area has just had magma gotten into it, however the door is only temporary measure, and I meant to put a floodgate in behind it. No diabolical entry trap yet either, though the huge antechamber can be used for either magma or water sluicing, depending on your fancy. The init has also been changed to make it laptop compatible, and hopefully slowfuck computer compatible. Watch out for the troglodytes, olmen, frogmen, lizardmen, cave crocodiles, fire imps, magma men, antmen, giant bats and gremlins. Welcome to Racebell!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:48:11 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Ringbell! (also known as the competing succession game to SG5)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 02:42:00 am »

Okay, here we go.

When will you post the save?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ringbell! (also known as the competing succession game to SG5)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:57:59 am »

I'm assuming when I've done my year... Could be later though.
Sorry for the wait...
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Racebell! (also known as the competing succession game to SG5)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 03:51:03 am »

Why not have it so that if a person leaves early, it reverts to the last seasonal save and then the next person can play the remainder of that person's year as well as his own?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:59:02 am »

Makes the logs disjointed.

EDIT: Actually.. a decent idea i guess.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:20:49 am by Tack »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 06:53:29 am »

The second year
spring
High lord Homicidalcaptain making first entry into compulsory entry log, I have been selected to be to take command of a fledgling outpost in the mountains named “racebell”, who’s retarded idea it was to name a mountain this? Not mine. The year has thus far been uneventful, none of us knew who the previous ruler was, so I decided to take control of fortress this year, and a good thing too, we already lost one of our comrades , he managed to burn to death in some mining project through magma, I can’t think why he thought it was a good idea to dig through a wall with BURNING MAGMA on the other side. We managed to pull together irrigation for farms, but the area designated for farms was pitifully small. I have rectified this. Soon our dwarves will be feasting on so many plump helmets and sweet pods they won’t know what other foods look like.
Ah, the elves, as reliable as time itself. Every spring they come without fail and here they are again, though I have plans in the future for.... erm.... entertainment, involving them... and ballistas. Much to my displeasure, I found that no craftsdwarves had been designated in the first year and there were no dispensable goods to trade, at all, so I have designated our bowyer as stonecrafter and have designated a workshop to be built, after my mechanic releases the idiot, he somehow thought it was a good idea to build a floodgate to the irrigation room with no exit ON THE INSIDE OF THE ROOM. If I didn’t need the manual labour, id have just opened the irrigation system.
Summer
The farms are under construction, and the irrigation chamber has been expanded, however I now see the room as being wasted space due to no further irrigation being need save for every now and then, so I have began work on converting it to a death chamber for misbehaving dwarves, but first a pump is needed to clear the water out of it without flooding my farms.
The human caravan has come, but we yet still have no goods to provide them because my idiot of a stonecrafter has begun to act oddly, he has holed himself up in a bowyer’s workshop and isn’t saying why, though he has been drawing cryptic pictures of things. I have decided to provide him these and see what happens, though first I need to forge an axe for some woodcutting. And if he turns out to give me something useless, we always have that death chamber im planning to build
Immigrants have arrived, and I am worried for they chose to appear close to a mass of ratmen, however they pass through unharmed. My stonecrafter has finished his mysterious construction, as he proudly announced to all of us. It was a beautifully made crossbow worth 6000*, and it seems he learned a lot of his craft while making it. I make a note to myself to always provide dwarves with their materials when they have such creative urges. I also note that this dwarf is now usefull, curses, now I need another guinea pig for future projects
Tragedy! A giant rat has mangled the leg of our miner and engraver dwarf, the dwarf valiantly slew the rat with his pick but not before being badly wounded, I doubt he shall ever walk again. As reward for his heroism, he lies in bed being watered and fed, and a door will be built to his room soon so we may close and lock it to let him die peacefully. From starvation and thirst.

Autumn
Disaster has struck! A giant bat of the name Bonunmatul has struck down three of our noble dwarves, including both of our mechanics! In my rage I personally struck down the fiend single handedly and drowned him in our channel.
While the slaughtering of this beast made me feel better, some of our dwarves have lost a close friend today and we are now short a weaponsmith and two mechanics. Looks like the crypts will be built early this year. I fucking hate bats.
Alas, our woodcutter is throwing a tantrum due to the lost of his friend to the giant bat, I hope he will not injure anyone while he vents his anger.
The dwarven caravan has come, but we have little to trade save for the few crafts we managed to churn out. We traded the lot of them for a good supply of plump helmets from our brethren, but food stores are in trouble and I hope we can last the winter.
Winter
Food stores are low, and I hope we have enough to survive until spring so that the quantities of crafts I have ordered made can be traded for bountiful harvests of berries and meats from the caravans, our farmers are working hard and soon we should have a harvest of plump helmets though we need many more planters to tend the farms, hopefully more shall come in future immigrations
Due to food shortages, I have ordered all puppies to be slaughtered, this will hopefully provide us with enough meat to last until spring, I hope my fellow dwarves enjoy the taste of dog meat. I know I do.
Accursed goblins, the ambushed us and have struck down three more of our dwarves, at this rate I am considering banning my fellows from leaving the fortress. Amongst the ones struck down was a glassmaker who only just arrived and two of our champions, cowardly goblins with their iron armour beset our unarmoured dwarves with Halberds. luckily, our military is large enough to deal with an ambush and we have routed the wretches. Yet more coffins must now be made.
The woodworker, he has been tantruming non-stop and he keeps trying to attend a meeting with our organizer, who seems to think it’s more important to pick clothes off the bodies of our dead then to reconcile a fellow dwarf. He recently broke a door in his anger, so I was forced to teach him a lesson, I admit I may have beaten him a bit hard but im sure he’ll get over the broken arm, leg and injured hands and arms.
GOBLINS! Another ambush has come and tried to attack an innocent child, woe upon them however for the child had enough sense to run back inside the fortress which is guarded by many traps. They never saw it coming as giant rocks fell on their heads mortally wounding them. Their clothes will make good trading material
For whatever reason, my fellow dwarves have taken to calling the resident gremlin that lurks the mountains Olon Alekmebzuth, though for what reason I do not know, I would have thought they would all be more concerned with how hungry everyone is, curse my predecessor for not having any tradable goods or farms running. On further inspection, I notice many dead mountain goats, perhaps my comrades have named him for his goat killing prowess?
Food is no longer a problem, though some dwarves may die before enough is made to meet demands, plump helmet harvests have started and we are now cooking the abundance of seeds we have for food.
Our fisherdwarf has constructed an exquisite piece that I’m sure will raise the value of our fortress, even if it is a toy forge that he refuses to let us sell. Apparently he gained a great deal of knowledge about woodcrafting while making it; he is now our most adept woodcrafter.

Oh good god what has happened to our milker? He wanders away in search of vermin for food and finds a troglodyte, one that seems it wants to play with him. This play led him to having both his arms mangled, his throat mangled, upper and lower body mangled and his spine broken, and he is still alive. I have never seen a dwarf with a greater will to live. Unfortunately he finally bled to death of his wounds just as I arrived, and in revenge I and one of my subordinates personally annihilated the troglodyte population in the area, that’ll teach the bastards
Winter is over and spring has come at last, im tired of all these hardships and misfortunes and am steeping down so that I may recover my sense, I leave the fortress in the hands of the one willing to govern this place as I wander the halls dispensing justice. Strike the Earth!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:56:57 am »

I copy/pasted this straight out of the word document... unfortunately no bloody images work, so you'll have to do without them sorry. Anyway, SPRING!

The Third Year
Hooray! Straight out of the Urist Mcsmarterthanyou University, and I’m already offered a job. They want me to manage a place called... racebell. Weird name, but I’m not a critic. Let’s see what this place has to o... What the Fuck!?
At the edge of the fortress, I was suddenly stopped by a shouted “STOP”. Scared out of my wits, I halted. Twenty seconds later, I heard a previously muffled discussion suddenly become clearer with rage, ending in something in the line of:
“He’s not a goblin!”
“I know it! He, that thing, he’s Cunning. He’s Planned A Disguise”
“Let’s just let the poor bastard in and deal with it later, eh?”
“Just you wait!”
Just then I was jolted out of my reverie by a yelled “Come in! Watch out for the Fucking Antmen. And the bats! And the Ratmen, Troggies, Giant Rats and Gremlins!
... Holy Shit.
Ducking my head, I ran for heck to the front door, whereupon I walked past some stone traps and a drawbridge... Before finally being confronted by some man sized, bulging, blood covered dwarf. Told me his name was Homicidal, told me he likes killing, told me I was the new ruler of Racebell... At that point I had two thoughts in my mind.
1.   Fuck No.
2.   Fucking Run.
However, upon watching this thing, distractedly rub the vomit out of his eye, I hastily re-decided.
“Have you got a clerk?”
Whereupon he stared at me with his single, clean eye, and began rubbing the blood out of the other.
“Uh... Clerk... Like, writing, trading, logging, maths... no?”
“No” *He points to a corpse*
And suddenly I had a job.

SPRING
Well... Time I take a look around this hellhole. Obviously Mr GungHo Himself isn’t going to give me a tour. 
A Forge... Undeveloped.

Crafting rooms... Undeveloped.

Kitchens and dining rooms... Fucking UNDEVELOPED!

Well at least the Farms are fully done... A little over the top. A lot over the top. Wow. Seems all that this guy cared about is food. But he did his food well. We’ll never starve again, with enough farmers.

And, of course, the Dead are treated with utmost disrespect. Time for me to rectify absolutely everything wrong with this fortress. Therefore. Time for me to rectify absolutely everything to do with this fortress.
Well... I’d better get to work.

First of all, I start cataloguing. I can’t believe nobody else did this before! The dead need a better place to rest, so I start making somewhere for them.

After that, I’ll open up all of the undeveloped areas, so that the craftsdwarves aren’t working off each other’s elbows. Oh, and I can’t open up the forge, because there would seem to be MASSIVE EVIL THINGS lurking in the lake. Hence the walled off staircase seen above.
Ok. So our trapper has carpentry designated. Our trader has Animal training designated, and our LEGENDARY BOWYER does NOT have crossbow making! This place is upside fucking down!

... So now that I’ve fixed up a minority of jobs, I can hopefully move on with the digging and stuff. However I need a suitably delicious solution for those nasties in the lake.

I’ve also found that the previous ruler has designated for “exploratory tunnels”. I’ll have to start checking these out too.
Great. A woodcutter and miner are fucking out of commish too. Oh, did I mention it was my legendary miner!? This place is starting to get on my nerves. Obviously the previous ruler was planning for nothing more but to kill off everyone in desperate charges at the enemy... though I’m not going to tell that to his beautifully unscarred, blood covered face.
And there’s a... Big... Cleared, floored space outside. Not sure what it’s for, but I’m sure I’ll find something I can use it for.
The ELVES are here! Honestly, I can’t see why everyone hates them. I mean, They’re just people like us. Let’s see what I can trade with them...
Well they took my dog leather, and giant cave spider silk. They even accepted a wolf leather tunic. It seems that elves are getting a little less hippy lately.

And a new surprise. It seems a kobold has snuck almost all of the way into the fortress. Fuck. New order of events.
1.   Make the fortress thief proof
2.   Honor the dead a little more
3.   Open up the workspaces
Hopefully this should all work out well. Meanwhile, I’m forging weapons for the squads. It’s time they got rid of some of the marauding whatever things outside.

Oh Great. Another lapse of the previous ruler... There’s no FUCKING WELLS! For two years these bloody dwarves have been living off river water, because apparently all of the booze is gone too! At least he’s dug out the systems for it. I’ll just need to channel the water in.
Oh, And again. No kennels. Oh well. My annoyances can be listed from here on. Actually, I will.
1.   The awesome bridge trap system at the very start of the fortress... is linked to a lever right next to it.
2.   There is a lack of metal with which to forge with.
3.   There is a lack of DWARVES!
4.   The labours are still screwed up
5.   The construction is all designated and left.
Ok. I have to say, the bedroom system is ingenious. So... spacially conservative. Indwarvane, yes. Economic, hella yes. I’ll draw a plan. Hopefully I’ll be able to copy this from here on in.

Migrants – About TIME!
Now I can start to get this fortress back into order. Unless they die on the deathwalk.
Ooh! I’m mayor now! Apparently this little shithole is enough for a titleholder. Now to flaunt my power!

Haha! Time to start my reign as the FIRST ASSHOLE NOBLE!
And there isn’t any brass anywhere... I’m going to see someone beaten for this.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:12:47 am by Tack »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 06:58:35 am »

Homicidalcaptain has the power of enthusiastic rage.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Racebell! (also known as yet another anonymous succession game)
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 07:11:21 am »

... I may have amped up his character a bit... though he did have vomit in his eye. and blood in the other. Actually, he's covered in the stuff.
He also seems to have paranoia.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:15:06 am by Tack »

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 03:45:20 pm »

me, me oh please god pick me!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 06:22:03 pm »

Onwards. This, I promise you, I won't abandon.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 12:12:18 am »

New rules. At the end of our yearly reign, we'll announce our "Megaproject Blood Toll"
Note. It's currently up to two.
Actually... should this include dwarves that are working on the megaproject and get ambushed?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 12:22:14 am »

Sure for the blood toll thing. I'd have to find the project first.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 12:52:13 am »

The megaproject is hardly anything. So I abandoned it for now.
JChrist the year is going slowly!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 02:00:50 am »

Sorry, I missed the AUTUMN HAS ARRIVED. So I just cut it where i think autumn starts and went from there.

SUMMER
Well now... nothing’s really changed so far.
Human caravans... Traded with them lots.

Finished my postern gate fix. Let’s see an army try and get into here!
Hmm... Also, one of my miners have died due to a collapsing ceiling... damn. Oh well. Designate a peasant.

Hmm... The troglodytes are back... As soon as I got the message stating it, the captain was before me... twitching slightly. So I sent him out of my own violition to try and deal with them, though I fear for him having nothing but a shield... Actually... looking at the thing. I don’t. Poor, poor troggies.

Well, turns out the troggie went and fucked up a woodcutter a little. And in turn the woodcutter felled it. Like a tree. Pun. Ok, sorry. Anyway, the captain went into his room to have a bit of a scream... He’ll be out when he’s done, hopefully.

And suddenly one of our brewers has gone weird. He’s dull eyed, and seems to want a workshop. Maybe he’s trying to demonstrate his masonry skills to me, seeing as our last mason got... uh... accidentally crushed by a falling ceiling.
Heh. He did claim a mason’s workshop after all. Let’s see what he decides to make for me! Or let’s hope that the bloody Homicidal Captain, Homicidalcaptain doesn’t see him. If he thought I was a goblin, I don’t see a long future for the brewer. Well. Possibly a long future. But mostly filled with pain.

Well, my idiot fucking runner came along, and told me that he’s started a mysterious construction. What an idiot! So I sent him along to see what the guy’s making. He came back with no fingers. Note to self: Don’t piss off people in weird moods.

Looks like I need a bedroom... I made one for Homicidal too... I’d better try and get on his good side... If he has one. Or if you survive the journey. But anyway. Hopefully this will be as good as I expect it to be.

And the dining chairs and tables are beginning to be put in! This fortress is going from a rat’s asshole, to a liveable... rats asshole. But a clean one. With tables. Jeez, it’d suck to be the rat.

The wells are finally finished too. Hopefully nobody will fall into them before I get the grates put in.

I just sent the runner to order production of weapons and armor for the troops. As I gave the command, I heard a banging crash. Went and checked on Homicidal. He’s sitting in his room, twitching and giggling. I don’t think he saw me... I hope.

And I’ve finally hooked up my lever to the bridge over the chasm. Just in case I need to get rid of someone something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6