Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen Question  (Read 1004 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Gen Question
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:52:51 pm »

So this is a two part question.

The first being, if I were to stop world generation at year 1 and then play fortress mode from there will history progress normally as I play (for instance civilization being wiped out or expanding, mega-beasts become worshiped, and all that jazz) or will everything be frozen how it is when it starts besides for the things that directly affect my fortress?

The second is, will this be changing in the upcoming release (I know there's a crap ton that's being changed, but didn't see anything pertaining to this)?

(Third question just because I felt the above were too easy. Does anyone know if there are plans to be able to 'retire' a fortress instead of abandonment. Meaning all the dwarves stay there and it continues to be run but it is run by the computer just like any other mountain home or town or what have you.)

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:37:56 am »

World gen and history outside your fortress stops when playing dwarf mode as far as I know.

I'm also not sure when that will change, but it will change eventually.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:46:56 am »

This gives me an idea for a feature request... since time doesn't seem to pass during fortress mode in the outside world, perhaps some way to allow more time to pass?  I.E.  A menu option for a new game (maybe in legends mode) to advance the world x number of years.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:45:54 pm »

I think a year passes between the abandonment and foundation of a new fortress. Likewise between retiring an adventurer, and starting a new one, or bringing the old one out of retirement.
!!&!!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 06:03:36 am »

I think a year passes between the abandonment and foundation of a new fortress. Likewise between retiring an adventurer, and starting a new one, or bringing the old one out of retirement.

I dunno about forts, but with adventurers, the only time that passes is time enough for your previous adventurer to become rotten (not completely decayed yet). That's only about ten or so days.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:56:53 am »

I dunno about forts, but with adventurers, the only time that passes is time enough for your previous adventurer to become rotten (not completely decayed yet). That's only about ten or so days.
The real problem is playing a fort for about 100 years and then trying to come back to it.  All the humans and kobolds are dead, as well as most of the dwarves.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 01:51:33 pm »

A kind of temporary solution to that is to change the age tags in raws to make everything live forever. I wouldn't consider it cheating, right now the game just doesn't really support fortresses of that age, and if you're going to use a fort with that age that you're going to return to, you should probably change the game in such a way that you can easily do that.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:07 pm »

Hmm, well I hope in some future release there will be more options for continuing the timeline in game. For now I guess I'll just have to settle for re-genning more often.