Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pressurizing Water  (Read 1398 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressurizing Water
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:07:05 am »

Alright, so....I have a glacier. And I have an underground river beneath it. And I have a bottomless pit. And I have humans, goblins, and skeletons besieging me. So, I need a solution, because my three champion squads can't do this forever.

I have started to wall off the bottom of the bottomless pit, and I have started to dig a massive open pit into the glacier. My idea is that I'll fill the bottomless pit, and make an open, above-ground tunnel leading deep into the mountain (this might be mostly for kicks, it can be underground too). Anyways, the bottom of the bottomless pit will have a floodgate leading to the open pit, which can then quickly fill up with water.

I'm  not sure if water pressure affects the freezing potential, I suspect not, though it certainly does IRL, so I'll keep something above the pit I can collapse to induce freezing the cap off at will. Anyways.

My problem is this. I can fill it to the z level of the bottomless pit minus one.
This isn't good enough for me. I want water pressure, I want water going to the surface and high into the air. I want to see goblins pushed halfway across my map.

How can I increase water pressure? I want massive, massive water pressure.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Pressurizing Water
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:20:31 am »

It should be noted that pressurized water will not push units or items - it'll just cause them to drown. Only water that is naturally flowing (i.e. less than 7/7 depth) will push stuff around.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:31:03 am »

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but you do realize that "bottomless pits" are chasm tiles and can never be actually filled, right?
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 08:33:00 am »

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but you do realize that "bottomless pits" are chasm tiles and can never be actually filled, right?

You aren't reading it right - take a closer look:

I have started to wall off the bottom of the bottomless pit
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:10:43 am »

In order to make the pit overflow, you will have to raise the pumps/drainage to a higher z-level than the pit's lip.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:33:36 am »

On your desire for water pressure: well, water pressure isn't really modeled in DF.  Water "teleports" when it is pumped (or otherwise sourced) into a 7/7 tile.  When a lot of water needs to teleport at once--for instance, if a dozen pumps are all pumping water into a narrow pipe--all that water will teleport together, making it look like the water is flowing much faster due to high pressure.

Another thing is water will never teleport above a source; that source being a pump, an aquifer, a brook or river source, an unsupported water tile, etc.  That can be worked around by creating a large cistern above ground, but it still won't spout upwards.  Water will fill all horizontal space before filling upwards.

To have water quickly fill up a space vertically, you need to create a very wide and tall cistern relative to the width of your pit (or continually pump a lot of water in the top of the cistern).  This is because the water teleports from each of the unsupported tiles at the top, so the wider the cistern, the more tiles that teleport at once, and the faster your pit will fill with water.

On freezing:  I've never had a freezing map, but the wiki says that water only freezes in the cold if it is on an above-ground tile.  So long as your pit is always subterranean, it shouldn't freeze up.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:31:40 am »

You aren't reading it right - take a closer look:

I have started to wall off the bottom of the bottomless pit

Aha! Clever. Maybe you could put a floorhatch in one of the tiles so that if you get tired of it, just pull the lever and drain the whole thing into the pit.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:14:54 pm »

Thats a good idea. I wonder if goblins could be sucked down the drain that way....

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 04:52:52 pm »

From other videos I've watched, I do believe it 'drags' creatures/items to it when flushed. So yeah it should work.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »

Aha! Clever. Maybe you could put a floorhatch in one of the tiles so that if you get tired of it, just pull the lever and drain the whole thing into the pit.
I second this suggestion. Always build emergency drain levers in your water-related projects, you're going to end up pulling them when you see what that much water does to your FPS.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 09:48:30 pm »

Even better, wall everything except for one tile in the bottomless pit, see if you can pump water fast enough in that the pit is a permanent whirlpool, dump enemies in and watch them go down.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 10:05:26 pm »

You don't get whirlpools with draining water - if you floored off a bottomless pit, filled it with water, then opened a floor hatch to drain it, within about a quarter of a second the only water left in the pit would be 7/7 directly on top of all of the floor tiles, which would gradually flow down the hole.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 10:20:30 pm »

You don't get whirlpools with draining water - if you floored off a bottomless pit, filled it with water, then opened a floor hatch to drain it, within about a quarter of a second the only water left in the pit would be 7/7 directly on top of all of the floor tiles, which would gradually flow down the hole.

Damn, we need improved hydrodynamics, but not before we have pathfinding optimization.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 10:25:07 pm »

Emergency drain levers are tempting. My current fort could have one to drain the river into the chasm, should I fail a will save.
This is on top of multiple levers that simply flood the fort for no obvious or adequately-explained reason, though.

As for sucking things down the drain, that's entirely possible. My elf drowner moves stuff around, both corpses and clothing of corpses when it's drained. Although I'd recommend having a filter on it to keep things.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 10:42:56 pm »

isnt that what grates are for?

i thought the original question was for like a gyser type thing to push enemies away from the designated area... so there is no way to do that?
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.
Pages: [1] 2