Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Murlocs, Oh God...  (Read 12075 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Murlocs, Oh God...
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2009, 01:56:56 am »

Meeting Murlocs in battle on an open plain with melee troops is really unsmart, unless they've got plenty of armor (Murloc's thankfully don't do too much damage, making them more Goddamn Bats and less Demonic Spiders.)

jester354

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2009, 03:26:03 am »

as soon as i embarked around a hundred zombie murlocs jumped out of the water of course my wagon was right next to a lake...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2009, 03:31:43 am »

Zombie Murlocs aren't too bad, Skeletal Murlocs you need to watch out for.

But yeah, avoid rivers like the plague, You seem to get, on average, nearly 20 - 30 Murlocs per 1 - 2 tiles of river. I had a 12 tile UG River that i seriously regretted accidentally digging into (Murlocs are one of the few critters with a swim speed fast enough to get up small waterfalls...)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2009, 09:06:46 am »

Zombie Murlocs aren't too bad, Skeletal Murlocs you need to watch out for.

But yeah, avoid rivers like the plague, You seem to get, on average, nearly 20 - 30 Murlocs per 1 - 2 tiles of river. I had a 12 tile UG River that i seriously regretted accidentally digging into (Murlocs are one of the few critters with a swim speed fast enough to get up small waterfalls...)

I'm sorry... did you say they can SWIM

UP

WATERFALLS?

Whole E-Shit.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »

Just tried this and ... wow, this is so much fun! Must try a little moddification - make them weaker and double their population.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2009, 04:33:17 pm »

Meeting Murlocs in battle on an open plain with melee troops is really unsmart, unless they've got plenty of armor (Murloc's thankfully don't do too much damage, making them more Goddamn Bats and less Demonic Spiders.)

Actually, it turned out okay. Most of em seemed to just run past my guys and jump in the ocean. Managed to kill 14 of them, no deaths. I suspect that wasn't intended behavior though, since if a murlock got skewered his buddies wouldn't care less and just run on by. Totally ignored the civies that came running to grab the corpses too. And since that incident all theyve done is sit there off the coast and chill.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2009, 10:15:32 pm »

Actually, it turned out okay. Most of em seemed to just run past my guys and jump in the ocean. Managed to kill 14 of them, no deaths. I suspect that wasn't intended behavior though, since if a murlock got skewered his buddies wouldn't care less and just run on by. Totally ignored the civies that came running to grab the corpses too. And since that incident all theyve done is sit there off the coast and chill.

Yeah, Murlocs when they first spawn seem to gravitate towards the nearest source of water, they then either sit in the water indefinitely, or randomly decide to leap out and attack everything in sight.

Probably best to avoid the water.

And yes, Murlocs can swim up small waterfalls; if the waterfall is only a single z level drop, or if water is piling up enough to make a solid 'line' from the bottom to the top, Murlocs can and will swim up it and savage your guys taunting them from the 'safety' of the cliffs.

TatersAndTots

• Bay Watcher
  • Doo dee doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2009, 03:47:16 pm »

hmm i see you hace [PET] and [trAINABLE] tags in there. Can you say murlocs fighting murlocs?
Aren't Rhesus Macaques actually whales?
They're actually a special ore. Instead of being mined, they're hunted from between the trees and instead of producing metal, they produce food: rhesus pieces.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2009, 04:47:31 pm »

why use so weak a monster
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

TatersAndTots

• Bay Watcher
  • Doo dee doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2009, 06:48:50 pm »

I don't see [BUTCHERABLE] tag.

how do you add it? 'cause i will. I want murloc butchering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aren't Rhesus Macaques actually whales?
They're actually a special ore. Instead of being mined, they're hunted from between the trees and instead of producing metal, they produce food: rhesus pieces.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2009, 07:25:20 pm »

I think you should be able to; by default i'm pretty sure everything is butcherable. Murlocs don't speak so that shouldn't be a problem, can_learn might get in the way though.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2009, 02:14:47 pm »

I don't see [BUTCHERABLE] tag.

how do you add it? 'cause i will. I want murloc butchering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mmm, [Murloc Fin Soup]...

DKGafgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2009, 04:14:18 am »

So i decided to mod Murlocs into my game. This has turned out to be a gigantic mistake;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(The super-low colddam and heatdam points are so they'll survive anywhere, glaciers, deserts, you name it, it has Murlocs.)

They appear in gigantic neverending swarms and immediately leap out of the river, charging all over the map to hunt down native wildlife, dwarves, invaders, the works.

I even made some graphics for them! :D

But yeah, thought i'd post this here in case anyone else feels like being an incredible masochist, individually Murlocs aren't dangerous, but they come by the dozen and they range all over the map, eating everything and anything in sight (they will hunt other native wildlife, i had a pack of Murlocs hunt down some deer and tear them to shreds.)

I'm sure if i can work out how to survive the first season i'll be fine, but i'll be damned if i can work out how to survive the first season, i almost always get a big ball of Murlocs charging into the fort within the first season, and if i manage to kill the buggers off more just migrate in.

REQUESTING PERMISSION TO STEAL THIS

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2009, 06:12:55 am »

Right there in the post; go for it.

nitnatsnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2009, 09:29:45 am »

I think this is what you need to make the art work. For those that don't know how. Adjust [FILE:] as needed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8