Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Murlocs, Oh God...  (Read 12063 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Murlocs, Oh God...
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 03:59:25 am »

Actually, they won't.

They'll all swarm the dead and steal exactly one item, then leave the map with it.

[EQUIPS] and whatever the item stealing tag are conflict as far as actually using the item goes.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2009, 05:07:36 am »

Oh really? Heh, i just tossed a bunch of tags on there that looked interesting :D

If you want them to hit harder you can always amp up their attack damage. That doesn't even need a regen.

Angellus

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 08:58:29 am »

Haha, were the orcs too weak? ^^

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 09:04:23 am »

Yeah, i upgraded to Ogres for awhile, but i ran into a problem; either the Orcs\Ogres turned up too early and were unstoppable, or they turned up too late and were mincemeat. I usually go from 'half a dozen wrestlers' to 'twenty kitted out in iron and steel champion wrestler\hammerdwarfs with a dozen crossbow dwarfs for backup' in about two seasons or so, so the spring invasion i'd have to hole up and not poke my head out, and then the winter invasion i'd just jump up and down all over them. Ogres amped it up a bit so it took another year or two to get my forces up to par, but they still suffered from the same problem.

I've been playing around with different monsties, so far i'm having good luck with these Murlocs, which make an excellent first year or two threat and a constant pest to your outdoor dwarfs (plus entertaining war critties) as well as a fun-filled surprise when you crack open the UG water, combined with Hobgoblins (similar to Murlocs, but use wood equipment and siege you really early), while pushing the Orcs and Ogres back later. The Murlocs and Hobgoblins are enough of an early threat to be, well, a threat, but not like an unexpected Orc siege that just mops the floor with your dudes.

Of course, once i work out a flawless way to kill of Ogres riding Beak Dogs (oh god) i'll probably need to upgrade again, maybe to Ettins, or Dragons.

Mogul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2009, 04:40:01 pm »

Of course, once i work out a flawless way to kill of Ogres riding Beak Dogs (oh god) i'll probably need to upgrade again, maybe to Ettins, or Dragons.

I take it you never got attacked by Orcs riding Giant Wolf Spiders? Now that is fun times.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 07:00:35 pm »

I take it you never got attacked by Orcs riding Giant Wolf Spiders? Now that is fun times.

I removed the Giant Wolf Spiders from the game, they weren't fun, they were !!Fun!!

While being raped by 60 Orcs riding 60 Giant Cave Spiders (which is basically what GWS's are) was quite amusing the first time, it was less so the second time, and the third time. I'm looking for a challenge, not a "The only way to defeat this is to have 100 ledgendary crossbowmen or an inaccessible fort.

I should definitely add more evil mounts in tho; Ogres always turn up with Beak Dogs because they start in Swamps and Forests, while Orcs start in Deserts and Savannahs and Goblins start in Mountains, so those two usually don't have mounts.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2009, 09:09:11 pm »

I just put the murlocs in and then embarked.
GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY!!!!  :o
13 of them attacked me within seconds of embarking. kill count: 13 dead murlocs, 1 dead miner, 3 dead dogs.
I think this may be a new favorite of mine.  ;D

EDIT: make that two dwarves, another one died within moments from his wounds.
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2009, 07:50:41 pm »

yes I know about the edit button but it seemed more appropriate to post again.
upon further testing I am slightly disappointed with the murlocs. a pack of around 30 will spawn at the edge of the map and then will proceed to dance around the edges of my camp for some time. after a little while a few will hide in some of the pools and the rest seem to vanish entirely. not sure whats happening there.
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2009, 10:05:17 pm »

Odd, whenever they pop up for me they immediately charge all over the map, with small groups shacking up in any nearby water.

Also; Skeletal Murlocs...

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2009, 11:37:18 pm »

What would happen if i add [FLEEQUICK]?

and does [BIOME:ANY_POOL] even work on non-vermin creatures?
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 12:32:13 am »

Doesn't appear to, which is a pity :P

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 07:27:50 am »

Can somebody definitely identify what tag is making these murlocs so aggressive? This is of great importance to the "all the wildlife must actively try to kill you" portion of the modding community.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 07:36:13 am »

I'm pretty sure it's the combination of [LARGE_ROAMING] and [LARGE_PREDATOR]. The former should make them roam all over the map, the latter will make them actively seek out things to kill. [NOFEAR] and [liKES_FIGHTING] help alot too, as they mean that the Murlocs won't run away and will always fight if they can.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 10:55:00 am »

I think something may be messed up with mine. About two pairs of murlocs will pick pools to hide in, but then as soon as anything comes to close to the pools they just bolt. I saw one run from a kobold, they bumped into each other and neither one stopped running until they were off the map.
GENERATION 26:

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 12:19:46 pm »

Oh they're from WoW?

I was thinking of Morlocks from The Time Machine

Suddenly much less fun.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8