Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Murlocs, Oh God...  (Read 12042 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Murlocs, Oh God...
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 05:25:57 am »

No offense, but why would you take something awful like WoW and put it in something great like DF?

Cute sprites though. :|

No offense, but why insult something which is quite obviously not awful? Because you don't like it? I've never understood this mentality... If you don't like the game don't play it, but there's no reason to denigrate a good game. Like anything else, it has its proponents and detractors I suppose, but a game which is so successful cannot be as bad as you seem to think.

That said, I do not play the game any longer for my own reasons.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 05:39:36 am »

No offense, but popularity and 'success' does not equal good.  Slavery was also popular and, at least for some, extremely financially beneficial.

WoW's not as bad as slavery, but it is the worst thing to ever happen to the MMO market.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 05:57:46 am »

No offense, but popularity and 'success' does not equal good.  Slavery was also popular and, at least for some, extremely financially beneficial.

WoW's not as bad as slavery, but it is the worst thing to ever happen to the MMO market.

Care to explain?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 06:12:03 am »

Take it somewhere else guys. This is a thread about my doomsday Murlocs, not your WoW hate.

You don't need the graphics dogstile, i just made them cause my Murlocs looked silly with my Mayday tileset as big green M's.

Murlocs aren't that deadly in WoW, they're just very unforgiving of mistakes; they die as easy as any other equal level monster, but the combinations of factors i mentioned means that if you screw up, you usually have to leg it real fast.

But then again, WoW is a very easy game as games go, so i felt they needed a bit of magnifying, plus it's far more entertaining this way.

I reccomend dropping the cluster size if you don't have a monster computer though, 100+ Murlocs charging into your fortress will rape your FPS into the ground otherwise. They do make the game very interesting though :D

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 07:44:02 am »

You're right, sorry.

I do think these sound really cool, though.  Very Horde/Survival mode-sounding.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 12:15:21 am »

If you ask me, regardless of someone's feelings about a game (WoW in this case), that doesn't mean it can't have nice things in it (Such as Murlocs).  Remember: don't let everything be ruined because of some things.

I personally like this idea, I've tried adding stuff from other games myself, but I never quite have the level of success I'd like.  Such as a monster race of carp-walkers.

Note: I don't like WoW, but I still enjoy some parts of it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:17:14 am by Shima »
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 12:45:58 am »

That makes me think I should mod in a race of women/deer centaur who are good, benign, and forest.

Naturally they also have a high modvalue and are butcherable.   ;D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 01:12:33 am »

Because farming mermaids was just too easy.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 04:47:10 am »

Just had my first Murloc wave.  Them spawning was the same kind of lag as a siege showing up, two pages of 'em.  Needless to say, I was just a bit surprised when a wave of 'em came running down to where everyone currently was.  They wounded three Dwarves heavily (One didn't need rest for his wounds), and killed two of my war dogs.  Overall, we got about 80% of that Murloc tribe.

Oh Armok, the spice.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 05:30:31 am »

If you didn't get em all, they'll be back...

Actually, considering their high population number, even if you did get em all they'll still be back.

Javewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 05:33:37 am »

Hehe, great idea. They are somewhat overpowered, though, but fun to have near a fortress.
Too bad DF doesn't support sound effects (yet). The murloc's charge sound is quite iconic. :)

Would it be possible to read the strings of DF Announcements from memory and associate sound files with it in an external application? That would also make seasonal music possible, wouldn't it?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 09:01:44 am »

well at least thay dont have weapons... yet
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 01:20:45 pm »

They weren't that fearsome, but then, I still had the wagon designated as the meeting hall (Building a topside fortress around it, until the outer wall is ready), so I had 16 Dwarves, 4 War dogs, 3 puppies, a donkey and a horse to fight them - and they ALL came at once.

Oh Armok, the spice.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 09:29:03 pm »

If them being Murlocs from WoW is too mainstream for you, change them to Morlocks from The Time Machine.  :P
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 02:17:21 am »

well at least thay dont have weapons... yet

They have the [EQUIPS] tag, so they'll happily jack any equipment you leave lying around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8