Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Murlocs, Oh God...  (Read 12047 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murlocs, Oh God...
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2009, 01:17:54 pm »

Oh they're from WoW?

I was thinking of Morlocks from The Time Machine

Suddenly much less fun.

Man, have you played WoW?  I have a little, and those Murlocs swarm you to death, man.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2009, 06:22:11 pm »

Confusing murloc behavior!

I embarked on a site about 2/3 mountain and 1/3 pine forest, with magma. No underground cave features. There were a few murky pools but I didn't think much of it.

Year three, just as my dwarf caravan hit the trade depot, 35 (count 'em) 35 murlocs spawn from satan's bumhole and zerg the depot, killing a caravan pikeman and a wagon. (I followed the fallen bolts later and realized they must have come from the largest of the murky pools, or at least from the map edge in that direction.)

I turned off invasions after that, thinking if the Murlocs were already handicapping my ability to trade, I wanted some peace and quiet to finish my megaproject. I haven't seen a murloc since. I don't -think- it's possible that they could be ambushing because they're not a civ, but I'm just adding the info anyway.

Why no more murlocs? There are always 5-6 wolves roaming around, are they taking 'their spot'?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:39 pm »

Why no more murlocs? There are always 5-6 wolves roaming around, are they taking 'their spot'?

Yes, Murlocs are wild animals. If you kill off the wolves, or if the wolves migrate off the map, the game will spawn some new critters, which may be Murlocs.

They also appear to enjoy migrating onto your map and then hiding in a murky pool, i'm guessing the ANY_POOL tag is responsible for that.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2009, 10:45:32 am »

No offense, but popularity and 'success' does not equal good.  Slavery was also popular and, at least for some, extremely financially beneficial.

WoW's not as bad as slavery, but it is the worst thing to ever happen to the MMO market.
Warcraft III was quite a good strategy, and they come from THERE, not WoW. Don't confuse a universe and a game based on it.
Warcraft universe is old and quite nice for me.

Shrek the Game was a casual shit based on a popular animation, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't include ogres in my game.

In the Warcraft series, the creature Murloc contains slightly similar features to the Morlock, and shares an almost identical name. However, they lack the fur and live in aquatic settings, being something like bipedaled fish. There is also a creature called a Trogg, a cannibalistic race that dwell underground and evolved from the same race as the dwarfs.
What? Same race as dwarfs?.. Include Trogg :D. Also, with the new underground features (from the next release) you should be able to make REAL Murlocks (like in Time Machine :)).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:47:11 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2009, 11:13:35 am »

Trogg is shortened version of Troglodyte, which DF has. and I never quite enjoy fantasy settings having evolution for the magical races. I prefer the "Dwarves grew out of solid stone at the creation of the world" theory. It also makes humans that much more mundane and fun cause they are the only civ that evolved to sentience hence generally being looked down on by the magical races.

I'm pretty sure Murloks are a fairly blatant rip off of Morlocks, and the Murloks in DF are acting simmilar to the ones in WoW, and would probably be exact if WoW didn't have the meandering foe play style that most MMOs have nowadays.

Its always anoying when people hate on games without actualy playing them at all, Play the Strategy games of the warcraft series also, I recommend WCII it was very well done. For WoW they actualy over wrote their own lore to make some quests sound more fun.

But back to the Murlocks, What specifically makes the kobolds such a small civ? Murlocs should have a civ that is small like that, except not be located in caves.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2009, 11:20:34 am »

Actually kobolds may have a lot of caves and quite big civs. THey are just barely noticed by others.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2009, 11:57:36 am »

Rule of just about every forum: mention WoW in any sense and watch the flames roar.  These creatures look interesting though, I think ill give them a go.
  It would be interesting to try and make them into a zerg rushing civ if its possible.  (now someone bag out starcraft)
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2009, 01:45:42 pm »

No offense, but popularity and 'success' does not equal good.  Slavery was also popular and, at least for some, extremely financially beneficial.

WoW's not as bad as slavery, but it is the worst thing to ever happen to the MMO market.
Warcraft III was quite a good strategy, and they come from THERE, not WoW. Don't confuse a universe and a game based on it.

I'm not really sure what that has to do with what I said.  Could you try explaining it, if you care to?  They seem to be two wholly unrelated things.  I stand by my claims.  And yes, I know WarCraft is old - I was playing WarCraft 1 many years before I had my own internet connection.  It's not a particularly well written (or consistent) backstory for their established world, to be honest, which is why I mostly skipped over the level intros.  It's the gameplay that's fun in WC.  :)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2009, 03:40:04 pm »

Murlocs have Warcraft origins as far as I know, yes.

Don't confuse a universe and a game based on it.

"Old"?... How about a bit earlier than that? "Morlocks" (same same) have been around for over 110 years.  Since 1895, to be precise.

H.G. Wells, "The Time Machine".  Morlocks.  (Ring any bells? Anyone? Bueller?...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine

Some call it homage, some call it plagiarism.  Meh, origin is the same. Study the classics.  8)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:42:51 pm by Albedo »

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2009, 06:50:30 pm »

I was considering giving Hippos can_civ and can_learn with a small entity file for some "fun"
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2009, 08:03:23 pm »

Trogg is shortened version of Troglodyte, which DF has. and I never quite enjoy fantasy settings having evolution for the magical races. I prefer the "Dwarves grew out of solid stone at the creation of the world" theory. It also makes humans that much more mundane and fun cause they are the only civ that evolved to sentience hence generally being looked down on by the magical races.

They're actually unrelated. Dwarves were magically corrupted from the Earthern (which are like Dwarves only their flesh is made of stone, the Earthern were created by the Titans to be as hardy and survivable as possible), the Old Gods put the 'Curse of Flesh' on the Earthern and other earth-based races the Titans had made in order to weaken them. In the process, some of the Earthern became Iron Dwarves, with Iron for flesh and Lightning for blood, and were assimilated by the Old Gods (joining them). The other Earthern became Dwarves.

Troggs were an earlier experiement which had failed due to their physical matrix destabilising when used in high stress environments, the Titans stuffed them into the earth and tried again, creating the Earthern. So Troggs are actually entirely unrelated to Dwarves.

Supposidly the Gnomes had a similar origin, possibly from Mechagnomes (Gnome Cybermen).

The Titans also built an upgraded series of Earthern once they discovered the Curse of Flesh, which were not susceptible to it.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2009, 08:08:20 pm »

I was considering giving Hippos can_civ and can_learn with a small entity file for some "fun"

You can tell me how that turns out for you.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:59 pm »

Let's throw in the [can_rape] tag for good measure.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2009, 12:09:27 am »

Let's throw in the [can_rape] tag for good measure.
In other words, make them into carp?   ;)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2009, 09:09:45 am »

Morlocks probably can't be added with any degree of accuracy until we get real caves underground in the next release.

Besides, to my knowledge, Morlocks are effectively an underground mix of Dwarf (Workers underground) and Orcs (Big, ugly, and tough) who move slowly.  Murlocks are pretty much carp that can run and actively like being cruel.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8