Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Murlocs, Oh God...  (Read 12044 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Murlocs, Oh God...
« on: August 31, 2009, 06:46:02 am »

So i decided to mod Murlocs into my game. This has turned out to be a gigantic mistake;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(The super-low colddam and heatdam points are so they'll survive anywhere, glaciers, deserts, you name it, it has Murlocs.)

They appear in gigantic neverending swarms and immediately leap out of the river, charging all over the map to hunt down native wildlife, dwarves, invaders, the works.

I even made some graphics for them! :D

But yeah, thought i'd post this here in case anyone else feels like being an incredible masochist, individually Murlocs aren't dangerous, but they come by the dozen and they range all over the map, eating everything and anything in sight (they will hunt other native wildlife, i had a pack of Murlocs hunt down some deer and tear them to shreds.)

I'm sure if i can work out how to survive the first season i'll be fine, but i'll be damned if i can work out how to survive the first season, i almost always get a big ball of Murlocs charging into the fort within the first season, and if i manage to kill the buggers off more just migrate in.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:10:50 am by Neruz »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Re: Murlocs, Oh God...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:49:55 am »

[FEATURE_ATTACK_GROUP]

I haven't seen this before...

What's it do?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:56:38 am »

No clue, but it was on Lizardmen (which i based my Murlocs off).

I think it causes other Murlocs nearby to all swarm the same target, since i've noticed that one Murloc will leap out of the water and as soon as it engages something all the Murlocs nearby will immediately dogpile on it. But i can't be sure of that. Like i said, it was on Lizardmen, and it isn't in the Wiki, so i don't know if it actually does anything or if it's just a code tag that no longer works or is waiting for functionality.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 08:50:54 am »

If I remember correctly then it is some relic code from the 2-d version that allowed a creature to attack you from the river.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:05:25 am »

I have discovered it's possible to survive if you embark as far from any source of water as possible, but i've come to dread the "Murloc has given birth to murloc spawn" announcement, the babies, the babies.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:11:00 am »

Not to sound dumb, but what are murlocs? Are they like Mirelurks?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:35:37 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morlock

I think they might just be in WoW, actually. I couldn't find much online about them.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:39:01 am »

Murlocs have Warcraft origins as far as I know, yes.

With a bit of balancing, this could actually be quite good for challenge play. I'll try lowering their attack damage (and possibly size/damblock) and see how I get on.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:26 am »

Murlocs are from Warcraft, they first appeared in Warcraft III and have since reappeared in WoW, where they have gained a sinister reputation not unlike Carp in DF.

You see, Murlocs tend to spawn in large clusters in WoW, which tend to be rather dense and cover a fairly wide area, they're also group creatures, which means if one spots you and attacks, any Murlocs nearby also 'aggro' onto you and attack, furthermore they have a very wide radius to call for help, and a very wide radius to aggro, they also move quite quickly. Finally, they make a distinctive gurgling noise when they attack.

All of this combines to create a critter that is very unforgiving of mistakes; if you screw up and aggro the wrong Murloc you'll get dogpiled in seconds, Murlocs have claimed more lives than most Demon Lords due to their nature, and Blizzard has picked up on this and made the new Murloc species in the Xpaks even more like this. Northrend Murlocs are nightmares with froggy legs.

TL:DR - Murlocs are Warcraft Land-Carp.

Oh, and did i mention that they also have a fairly low respawn timer, so it's not uncommon to have the little bastards start respawning while you're half-way through their village, trapping you in a gurgling amphibious ring of death. Murlocs in WoW are not nice, i think i've captured their deadliness rather well here.

Their attacks aren't actually all that powerful (they're slightly smaller than Dwarfs), what makes them so ludicrously dangerous is the fact that they come in large numbers, run all over the map looking for prey and seem to move in packs.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:00:14 pm »

.... which, seems appropriate. I'm scared of this whole concept and I wish you never made this. I FEAR.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 12:14:13 am »

Now, you fear. I just got this announcement 30 times.

--EDIT--

Correction 72 times.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:21:11 am by Neruz »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 02:15:39 am »

So i broke into the Underground pool.

Time to reclaim my fortress.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 04:46:40 am »

Seems they're much deadlier here than in WoW (where I honestly thought they posed no challenge - but then again, I'm good at navigating aggro)

It's like HFS but with underground pools!  :D

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 04:49:10 am »

No offense, but why would you take something awful like WoW and put it in something great like DF?

Cute sprites though. :|

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 05:11:20 am »

i'll give them a try, but i have no idea how to put the graphics in the game
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8