Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?  (Read 37303 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2009, 07:39:11 pm »

Alright, I'll admit that Sealab, Futurama, and Aqua Teen were good, but Home Movies sucked. It's boring drivel in it's purest form. TGttM is interesting in style, but uninspired in everything else. Moral Orel was decent however, if only a tad bit revolting.

I never watched Tim and Eric, and for good reason: I never knew what the hell I was looking at.

I liked Sealab for its dadaism. That show was odd.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2009, 08:18:43 pm »

I did not expect this many replies in this topic overnight. After skimming through:

Batman the Animated Series was EPIC. No discussion. It was awesome.

I think the hate for modern cartoons is at least half nostalgia filter, there are certainly a couple good ones now (Spectacular Spiderman FTW), and there were lots of terrible cartoons back in the day as well. I'm a big nerd when it comes to cartoons.

And I have to bring up The Tick. It's even more awesome now than when I was 8. I have it on DVD. Yes. Big nerd. I know.

Batman, the animated series, was really awesome. It got pretty dark sometimes for the time slot it was on. The new batman - The Batman plain sucks - especially the Joker. Mark Hamill was good. In fact, I would say, if anyone should play the joke now - with the right makeup - maybe he could do it. Idk - Heath Ledger made the joker so much darker.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2009, 08:32:23 pm »

I like Sealab but it is one of those shows that you can tell no one likes it while your watching. (Like the Bonnie show... the Sitcom one)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2009, 08:35:08 pm »

Batman, the animated series, was really awesome. It got pretty dark sometimes for the time slot it was on. The new batman - The Batman plain sucks - especially the Joker. Mark Hamill was good. In fact, I would say, if anyone should play the joke now - with the right makeup - maybe he could do it. Idk - Heath Ledger made the joker so much darker.

Actually, the newer new Batman - Batman the Brave and The Bold - is pretty awesome because it's a tongue-in-cheek parody of homage to the Adam West Batman half the time. The first episode starts with him strung upside-down above a pit of acid. But yeah, the one you're talking about was garbage.

God I love Batman.

Also, Sealab, Aqua Teen, and Venture Bros are pretty great, but totally not childrens cartoons...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:12:24 pm by kinseti »

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2009, 03:01:31 am »

Cartoons overall are just as bad/good as they always were, we just don't remember the old crap because it's unmemorable.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2009, 08:06:14 am »

Cartoons overall are just as bad/good as they always were, we just don't remember the old crap because it's unmemorable.
IF we averge the uality of evrything, that migh even be true, but there are much, much fewer of both the extremly good and extremely bad ones, and when it comes to an artistic media that's a very bad thing as the EFFECTIVE quality is measured more or less by the top 5%.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2009, 08:40:33 am »

Yes!  That was another one, as well as Venture Brothers.  That's one of the few good shows left.

This. This is the only thing that might be considered a Cartoon that I watch, animation wise, as much as I possibly can.

This show was so awesome that I was literally depressed when Number 24.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
officially taking away the ridiculous immortality jokes.

I'd say everyone here should watch the Venture Brothers. Its a Jonny Quest satire of awesome.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2009, 09:02:43 am »

IT was chowder.

It's hard to believe that Schnitzel is voiced by John DiMaggio, the same guy who does Bender from Futurama, and the Scotsman from Samurai Jack.

Man, I loved Genndy Tartakovsky cartoons.

Samurai Jack.

There was this one episode that had no dialogue whatsoever. It was just running across the painted mountains and slashing things and running some more.

I miss it.

Oops! I missed the opportunity to participate in this thread. But I'm going to quote this post, never mind it's buried in 5 pages ago.

I LOVE Samurai Jack.

"Tale of X9" is one of my favorites... in fact, many episodes where Jack gets very little time on the screen are very great... strange, huh. Like that one where a bunch of villains gather to defect Jack and rhyme about their plans, and in the end, Jack defeats them all before a drop of water hits the ground...

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2009, 03:21:22 pm »

Samurai jack was awesome, I wish they'd still show it.

Also, what's up with "CN Real"? It defeats the whole purpose having a channel called Cartoon Network in the first place.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2009, 03:42:35 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:37:24 pm by Stany »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2009, 04:48:26 pm »

Samurai jack was awesome, I wish they'd still show it.

Also, what's up with "CN Real"? It defeats the whole purpose having a channel called Cartoon Network in the first place.
It in fact is not real, the animation has just gotten THAT GOOD.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2009, 05:03:30 pm »

Hah, one's own shallow self in self-presentment.

My favorite cartoons would have to be ones like...

Pink Panther is funny.
Courage is weird.
Flapjack is retard I can't even fathom

Are we only talking about "kid" cartoons?  I'm guessing so...not!  Most of the "kid" shows have adult content for some bizarre reason.

Spongebob is annoying. (Also, feels like they ran out of jokes five years ago)
Old Batman is awesome somehow.
Billy and Mandy is stupid crazy.
FUTURAMA ALL THE WAY *cough*

I'm no fan of TV so.  That's the ones I can remember watching when I lived underground.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2009, 05:07:45 pm »

That's the ones I can remember watching when I lived underground.
Wait...

What?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2009, 05:15:36 pm »

That's the ones I can remember watching when I lived underground.
Wait...

What?

Below the surface.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2009, 07:10:16 pm »

Geez, kids these days with their meaningless and pointless cartoons. Back in my day, we watched stuff like Animals of Farthing Woods, which thought us useful stuff like proper parliamentary procedure.

But seriously, watch that show, it's awesome. Most of the characters die, and it's heart-breaking each time.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:17:37 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15