Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?  (Read 37279 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2009, 06:09:43 am »

Heh. Reading this thread then BAM! Wall of text. :D
I really hate todays cartoons, with an exception to Foster's. They all are just getting worse and worse with their jokes...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2009, 06:10:16 am »

I watched "Now and Then, Here and There" a few years ago.

It was the darkest, most simultaneously depressing and yet beautiful thing I'd seen for a while - an anime so utterly not meant for children that it would break their fragile little minds to watch it, what with the crapsack world and all.

Disney's version of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" could have come close - and it stands as my favorite product of Western Animation to date. That movie was frightening, yet awesome.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2009, 06:14:59 am »

What hope does little kids have?
Well, there's pixar, and the indie movement is rising enough that we soon might have a significant output of even feature movies...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2009, 06:22:44 am »

This thread draws my mind back in time to my favorite cartoon series: Aeon Flux. That was weird.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2009, 06:23:34 am »

What hope does little kids have?
Well, there's pixar, and the indie movement is rising enough that we soon might have a significant output of even feature movies...
Pixar is the most perfect and awesome example of what I speak of. Pixar took the ghosts of Disneys old animators, wrung out the wrongs of the old days and infused it with technology they stole from the future where all children are considered adults, swearing they would not let that come to pass.

The indie guys are a mixed crowd for me. Many of them are balls-off awesome. Then there are placed like Newgrounds, and while they are good at what they do they are a cesspool. A good looking one, but a cesspool nevertheless.

And to further expand on why Anime is not for the western world:
 Around the age of 10 I saw Princess Mononoke. It had some iffy parts, but it was glorious. It was quirky enough of a world to keep me interested, and thanks to being American and not European the blood parts didn't phase me, as all injuries in eastern animation are handles with holes and spurts of blood, with gore being nonexistant.
 Then my sister got an episode of Slayers.

Now you can see where I'm going with this.

Just import all of Hayao Miyazaki. That will be fine for now.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2009, 06:31:22 am »

:P

I still don't understand a bit about slayer, though. Even though I know Lina Inverse (Wikipedia Article on the hero that based on her (DOTA(SUE ME, I PLAY DOTA(TO GET SOCIALIZED(AND I PLAY CS TOO!)))))))))

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2009, 06:51:27 am »

Why does every one hate Chowder? Its alot better than Flapjack, and so much better than Fosters. Especially that fucking cheese character. That piece of shit pissed me off so much, especially when people at school started repeating what he said. But, I do agree that Total Drama Island is pretty shitty... Any one here ever watch Dexter's Lab? Samurai Jack I'm sure, right? Both good ones in my opinion. Though, maybe I only think Dexter's is good because I have quite a few good memories of it from when I was younger. Ah well.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2009, 06:58:24 am »

Why does every one hate Chowder? Its alot better than Flapjack, and so much better than Fosters. Especially that fucking cheese character. That piece of shit pissed me off so much, especially when people at school started repeating what he said. But, I do agree that Total Drama Island is pretty shitty... Any one here ever watch Dexter's Lab? Samurai Jack I'm sure, right? Both good ones in my opinion. Though, maybe I only think Dexter's is good because I have quite a few good memories of it from when I was younger. Ah well.

I still say that Chowder has excellent voice acting.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2009, 06:58:48 am »

I... I love Flapjack!!!

*cries tears of shame*
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2009, 07:10:11 am »

Anyone else remember the show with the two beavers that were brothers, where one was yellow and the other was brown?

Also, anyone else reading my posts in their head with a young MJ's voice?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2009, 07:13:14 am »

The angry beavers! And I guess chowders got some pretty good voice acting, but I love the world, generally the story, the snappy jokes at times. /much/ better than that total drama island crap, and fosters.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2009, 07:14:02 am »

Yeah, it was great. The scientist guys were my favorite.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2009, 07:25:45 am »

The angry beavers! And I guess chowders got some pretty good voice acting, but I love the world, generally the story, the snappy jokes at times. /much/ better than that total drama island crap, and fosters.

I loved Oxnard Montalvo.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2009, 08:46:10 am »

I felt like going into a rant today, but armok pretty much already said it.  :(

I personally liked the older stuff better than this new stuff (not to say there isn't a few gems). Of course, I don't have a luxury of cable/satellite  TV, so I can't really say much about the 'new stuff'.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2009, 08:50:06 am »

The only children's cartoon (although it isn't a cartoon, more of a sort of sesame street thing) that has freaked me out lately is 'Yo Gabba Gabba', for reasons best explained by youtube.

Anyone else remember the show with the two beavers that were brothers, where one was yellow and the other was brown?

Also, anyone else reading my posts in their head with a young MJ's voice?
No, although I do occasionally read posts in Professor Farnsworths voice.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15