Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?  (Read 37290 times)

halberdear

• Bay Watcher
  • Ronald has gone mad!
    • View Profile
Re: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2010, 07:51:07 pm »

Heh-heh,this thread immediately reminded me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGT8RbMaS-E
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:01:35 pm by halberdear »
We have received word of a possible syndicate nuke squad in the area. We are now detonating the station to prevent nuclear destruction. Please stand by.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2010, 07:54:22 pm »

Childrens cartoons have become shit eh? Not good enough for you? While I would agree on most there is One particular example of modern cartoons which I would point out as a shining example of creative ideas, comedic timing and epic story telling.

Edit:damn bastards with their changing the picture crud. New pic.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:45:15 pm by piecewise »

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2010, 07:54:41 pm »

Pokemon was the first cartoon I ever ever watched.

My God did Ash have an annoying voice.

He's also a dick.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2010, 07:55:31 pm »

Tvtropes wins again!

halberdear

• Bay Watcher
  • Ronald has gone mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2010, 08:02:39 pm »

Childrens cartoons have become shit eh? Not good enough for you? While I would agree on most there is One particular example of modern cartoons which I would point out as a shining example of creative ideas, comedic timing and epic story telling.

Would that be Avatar?
We have received word of a possible syndicate nuke squad in the area. We are now detonating the station to prevent nuclear destruction. Please stand by.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2010, 08:41:46 pm »

According to the link location, yes indeed.

I loved that show.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2010, 12:40:13 am »

I feel liking I'm missing out on so much but I can't bring myself to start watching cartoons.

Which is moronic. And sad. I'm sad now.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2010, 12:57:48 am »

The reason Looney Tunes and such holds up as well as it does (the original cartoons from 60+ years ago are still popular) is that is was never intended as "children's" programming. The were just amusing shorts that were intended to entertain theatergoers in the time before the movie (while people were taking their seats and thus you couldn't start the movie yet) now occupied by previews and ads. They were universal programming. Instead, compare Baby Looney Tunes and A Pup Named Scooby Doo. Those don't hold up nearly as well.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2010, 01:13:45 am »

Thomas the tank engine was good children's programming. Winnie the pooh was good children's programming. Bill Nye was good children's programming. Baby looney tunes was not so much.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2010, 07:47:48 am »

This is a fascinating read for me, cause I'm a huge animation geek, I'm actually exposed to children's programming regularly (by way of having a 3-year old), and because I'm a generation older than most of the folks around here.

I don't think it's all that bad now, it's just different. You guys weren't around in the 80's. Oh dear Gott im Himmel there was some bad stuff on Saturday mornings. The Monchichis? The Snorks? Spaghetti & Meatballs? Q-Bert? Gary Coleman as The Littlest Angel? The Mr. T cartoon?

On the other hand, there were some series that are still dear to the heart:
Gummi Bears (don't laugh...the artwork was solid, and the storyline actually mattered over the long-term)
Mighty Orbots
The Real Ghostbusters (again, another cartoon that fairly regularly referenced Lovecraft..I think they fought Cthulhu in one episode)
Dungeons and Dragons
Robotix
Inhumanoids
Voltron
Dangermouse
Count Duckula
Robotech
Star Blazers - first exposure to what was called "Japanimation" back then. My jaw hung open for the whole show.

Now...is this because the 80's were some kind of animation golden era? Hardly. Like I said, for every great show, there were five godawful ones that everyone has tried to erase from their memory.

There's good stuff on now. I love Yo Gabba Gabba, because it makes me think of what Sesame Street would look like if it were written by Devo (and in fact, Mark Mothersbaugh is a regular guest). It's got Biz Markie teaching kids to beatbox, for God's sake! How is that not full of win? And, it still manages to encode the sort of socialization lessons that children's programming has traditionally had--sharing, taking turns, eating healthy, cleaning up, not biting your friends (and c'mon...any series that teaches kids a song called "Don't Bite Your Friends" is worth a go).

While I'm not a fan of most of the modern Disney programming (for one thing, they rely way too heavily on CGI), there are bright spots. The Adventures of Phineas and Ferb is excellent--reminds me of some the early Dexter's Laboratory stuff.

One thing you have to remember is that there's a big distinction between children's programming and children's entertainment. The former has a lot of educational and socialization aspects to it. The latter is mostly brain candy. But the best of the entertainmnent is *clever* brain candy that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator. When I was growing up, there were a lot of painfully stupid cartoons. There are still a lot of painfully stupid cartoons, but one problem I see now is that with GenX'ers at the helm, a lot of shows are trying to basically make a cartoon for other GenX'ers.

You guys were complaining about the stuff on Adult Swim--that's NOT children's cartoons (hence the name ADULT Swim). While I love shows like Robot Chicken and Metalocalypse and Venture Brothers, there's no way in hell I'd let my daughter anywhere near them for several years.

For what it's worth though, I have massive torrents of Tex Avery, Bob Clampett and Chuck Jones cartoons, and I've been steadily introducing my daughter to them. She loves the old Tom and Jerry (and the new Tom and Jerry, which I think may actually be more violent than the old ones, but less amusing) and Bugs Bunny (especially the Barber of Seville parody, which may be one of the greatest things ever put to celluloid, IMHO). That said, there are some classic toons that will have to wait till she's a bit older. I'm okay with showing her Daffy Duck's beak getting blown into fifty different configurations, but it gets a little trickier dealing with some of the blackface gags or characters like Tex Avery's Red.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2010, 08:46:33 am »

I grew up watching the speilberg cartoons and the nickelodeon cartoons. Animaniacs, Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers, Ka-Blam, Ren and Stimpy, The Rugrats, Hey Arnold, ect. My friends and I still play nostalgia with these cartoons. And Flapjack. It is one of the only good modern shows. And Avatar. Avatar was good too.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2010, 10:08:28 am »

Animaniacs, oh boy does that bring back memories, wonderful wonderful memories.  :D

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2010, 05:14:03 pm »

I can't beleive I didn't mention Avatar. I love that show. I was the first person in my area to really declare myself a fan.

Animaniacs... ah, sweet, sweet Animaniacs. Loved it then. Love it now. Plain and simple.
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2010, 05:31:20 pm »

Did someone say they didn't like Gary Coleman as the Littlest Angel?!

I refuse to believe that. When I was little, I'd stop whatever I was doing just to watch that. I have no idea why, probably just because it was so rare for them to play it in the 90's.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2010, 06:13:45 pm »

Avatar (nick show) is actually good?  I only ever knew one person to declare they liked it, and I had never seen it, plus there was this trend of Nick shows freaking me out.  So I never watched it.

Only thing I ever could watch on that channel was Fairly Odd Parents, but that went downhill the same time everything else did for me - about a couple of years ago.

Except kids next door.  That went downhill for me long before that.  One season I finally realized "this is dumb as hell,"  and then eventually got out of the habit of watching it.  And I was still a little kid at the time.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15