Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d14 giant bats bug out  (Read 957 times)

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d14 giant bats bug out
« on: August 30, 2009, 10:58:55 am »

Weird bug happened when my soldiers tried to engage a giant bat that had been harrassing my dwarves...

An armorer arrived in an immigrant wave.  He was immediately harrassed by a giant bat, which eventually left him wounded but alive.  He was carried inside and dropped on a bed for a season or so. 

I removed the bed because it was in the way of a planned rearrangement and he was taken to an alternative bed.  The giant bat then returned and harrassed another dwarf (with the armorer still inside and resting).  Meanwhile I assigned the bed he was in to him and added a few extra niceties to the room to keep his mood up.  The bat returned and my soldiers engaged it.  Then Spring arrived.

From the moment Spring arrived I received a continuous stream of messages that my armorer was "cancelling rest, interrupted by giant bat" despite being several Z levels away from the action and a fair distance away along the horizontal.  My soldiers engaged thebat but... oddly.

I had them set to chase opponents and to harrass dangerous wild animals.  Despite this, when the bat descended to ground level to engage one soldier, the others all just stood there, none more than 1 tile away, watching the action but not joining in.  They continued this regardless of whether I assigned them to be stationed on the tile the bat was on, next to it, near it, or whatever.

There are 2 giant bats on my map and the soldiers ended up engaging both of them repeatedly over a period, but every time whatever happened, and whichever bat it was, they behaved the same way.  And through it all my armorer was continually being "interrupted" by the giant bat, despite being so far away.

After the bats escaped YET AGAIN I removed the armorer's bed and locked him in his room.  After a moment he got up and sat in the corner, dropping a spot of blood.  When I moved back to where my soldiers were stationed there was then a drop of blood on the area they had been fighting the bat, which had not been visible before my armorer's bed was removed.  The giant-bat spam from the armorer stopped and did not restart after he moved to an alternative bed not assigned to him.

I am not sure what the key factor was in making my soldiers bug out.  The change in season, the bed being assigned to my armorer or the bat engaging soldiers.  But either way it was frustrating!
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d14 giant bats bug out
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 11:01:13 am »

They do the same thing in D11, same for Giant Cave swallows.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:44:05 pm »

The bit where the resting guy keeps cancelling rest because of <enemy> has been around for a long time, and in all honesty, I see someone posting it once every week or two. So don't worry about not knowing about it, lots of people have done that before.

Everything after the fourth paragraph is rather intriguing, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:29:00 pm »

The giant bat problems are certainly related to the feature creature allegiance issues, but the cancellations are probably something else.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 04:29:10 pm »

Well, that's depressing.  At least it seems to have sorted itselfout since the last shuffle-about I did.
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 07:35:53 pm »

It's probably related to why it is that Dwarves get scared of a Troll staring at them through solid rock 10 z levels down on the chasm. I've noticed that every now and then the los check for 'can i see scary dude' goes a little funky.