Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61298 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2009, 09:08:41 pm »

I'm loving this!  I'm only up to page 2 so far, but I'm reading up on it in a hurry.  I like your narrative style!
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2009, 04:05:33 am »

Welcome aboard KenboCalrissian! Any relative to Lando? Hope you enjoy the show.

Incidentally, happy 200th post to Labs, who I seem to have rewarded by damning him to wander the earth for eternity in search of flesh to devour. Let his post be added to the adamantine engravings!

These are a collection of adamantine posts. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. They are studded with epic and encircled with bands of win.
On the image are the words,
I'm so loving this story *grabs popcorn*

Oh nice. I just get back from 2 weeks of Australia and Terry Pratchett only to find out I'm a zombie in this story. I'm still loving it though.  ;D  I say you lop off his arm.  :P

Somewhat conveniently, both the 100th and 200th posts have been complimentary. Here's hoping 300 will be utterly irrelevant, perhaps an engraving of some cheese?

Incidentally, I owe the existence of Bonegrave to rickvoid, who stumbled across the name in worldgen back in April. I noticed the post the other day, and felt any description that awesome deserved a cameo. It is only now I notice that Bonegrave was supposed to be female. Ah well.

Egngun Bonegrave the Ruthless Fiend of Terrors.

Read that line again.
Shudder.

She was a member of the Civs The Helmed Sin and The Artificial Fiend. (Both of which are also fairly awesome names.)
Her home was the Dark Tower Whisperdread.
She had 246 kills to her name, in a reign of terror spanning 96 years, before she was slain by the Human hero Mizbo Masteredlengths.

As for dwarf requests, by glancing over at the spreadsheet, I figure I'm about a third of the way through Spiritwood. Many of the dwarves that have yet to appear have been woodcutters and other civilians, who, as Tacken mentioned a while back, will begin to have a bigger role once the woodwork actually starts. If your request hasn't appeared yet, he'll probably wander through later on, probably hauling lumber.

Incidentally, I've just noticed that the word incidentally has a habit of poking its way into my posts rather frequently.

I've just spent a difficult minute trying to figure out what sound a frying pan makes after hitting a zombie. Thus is life.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2009, 04:24:39 am »

I've just spent a difficult minute trying to figure out what sound a frying pan makes after hitting a zombie. Thus is life.

Left 4 Dead 2 would make good research for that :)
I vote "pwang".
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2009, 06:00:38 am »

Left 4 Dead 2 would make good research for that :)
I vote "pwang".
yeah if it's one of those pansy aluminium ones
A proper cast iron fryingpan would make more of a thud with a bit of thonk and a lot of crunch (skull cave-in) mixed in.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2009, 08:40:49 pm »

What's it made of? Steel would just go thunk, while brass would definitely go pwang. Aluminum would probably go thunk because it would immediately bend, aluminum makes crap weapons.

I vote "thunk" with a hideous "slish" or "crunch" of zombie bone.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2009, 03:56:07 am »

I knew I should have made this into a mini-competition!

Due to work and christmassy commitments, next update will most likely be Monday. To tie you over till then, here's a picture of me as a pirate.

Yarr, I be quizzical.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2009, 01:25:51 pm »

:P ginger beard for the win lol
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 22, 2009, 07:24:34 am »

If it was my frying pan, it would be a genuine Crong.

I use nothing but inch-thick steel.

Tacken McButcher - cos if you can't rely on a bullet-proof frying pan, what can you?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2009, 12:39:02 am »

Tacken McButcher - cos if you can't rely on a bullet-proof frying pan, what can you?

a 40mm shell-proof and magma-proof frying pan perhaps?

annihilating everything with a *<*adamantine frying pan*>*  :P
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 23, 2009, 12:20:03 pm »

annihilating everything with a *<*adamantine frying pan*>*  :P

It menaces with spikes of bacon grease.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2009, 12:25:29 pm »

And has an image on it of sausages in sausage.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2009, 04:24:38 pm »

My dwarf wants to join in this mess.

Male would be great.
Profession: Create a new custom profession called Sailor, if you can. If not, I'll take engineer.
Name: Chief LOL
Little Background: Has a disease that causes uncontrollable loling (laughing out loud) at the most inconvenient times.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2009, 05:43:17 pm »

uhhh sorry to be buggy but heres my request from i think last month

i want dwarfy :3

a worker with a dark background and who hides his artifact micricline amulet under his shirt. he is beardless due to a bad experiance with a pyromancer and is always cleaned shaven. has great martial arts skills and is extremly professional with the obsidian saber he keeps concieled under his cloak. he is keeps to himself and rarely talks. he has a vertical gash on his left eye but his eye is in perfect condition. he usually sits brooding and will sometimes harvest certain plants for maliucios uses (hopefully as fatal poison on his saber). he was an ex member of a fort that was rumoured to have found adamantine and returns any inquiry with a flash of his dagger in the cuff of his sleeve to warn them to never ask again. ever.

i hope that isn't too much of a request :)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 24, 2009, 07:10:40 pm »

Bump, because i like to read about zombie-pwnage.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 26, 2009, 04:08:47 am »

The sound of over a hundred dwarves fighting with swords, axes and cutlery against a partially rotten enemy is not a particularly pleasant one. For every clash of steel against steel there was a countering echo of squelching flesh, marked by the occasional noteworthy clonk of an overzealous dwarf wielding a frying pan.

The two lines of the living and the dead had predictably shattered on impact, and any illusion of orderly disciplined combat had quickly gone out the window when the dwarves had started using each-other as melee weaponry. Within the carnage, small pockets of dwarves had formed against the overwhelming numbers of the undead, tight clusters of dwarves with the exception of several eager individuals who danced through the throng, weapons whirling ferociously. Despite the confusion, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

“Are we winning?” Kubluk shouted against the noise.

“Who cares?!” remarked a nearby dwarf, knocking a zombie back with a well timed blow from a ladle.

“Well we can’t stay here all day,” Kubluk shouted back. “We’re on a tight schedule here!”

Meanwhile, amidst the chaos, Labs was fighting for his life against a human ghoul. Its head lolled against its shoulder, barely supported by the decaying remains of a neck. Drool sprayed from its gaping mouth as it advanced, its sole remaining eye fixed unmoving on the dwarf before it. Every few moments it would lunge towards the dwarf with a wailing groan, only to be beaten back by a ferocious waving axe. The weapon was dealing great damage to the undead beast, but the dwarf was struggling to achieve a killing blow.

As the beast lunged forward again, Labs stepped back only to feel his skin shiver as he bumped into someone. He span, raising his blade, and with relief recognised Falk, one of the younger military dwarves. The young crossbowman had abandoned his weapon in favour of a shovel, which he gripped firmly in both hands.

“I’ve got you covered!” shouted the young dwarf, planting himself firmly alongside Labs.

The woodcutter turned with relief and was just in time to beat back a furious swipe by his assailant. “I’m not dying today!” he shouted, before dealing a massive blow that almost tore the zombie in half. It crumpled to the floor and for a moment was still, before an arm of shattered bone began to reach towards the victorious dwarf.

“Do you things ever stop?” Labs muttered, before stepping forward and bringing down his axe in a final sweep, smashing the skull.

Behind him, a cry of desperation caused him to spin around. The young Falk had fallen to the ground and was struggling to regain his feet as the undead swarmed over him. Labs raised his axe and snarled.

“Not today, my emaciated brethren!” he yelled, and charged forward into the throng. The beasts scattered to several swings of his axe, forming sufficient space for the unfortunate Falk to regain his footing.

“I owe you,” the young dwarf breathed in appreciation as Labs pulled him back onto his feet.

“I’ll be having your drinks ration then,” Labs laughed, before raising his blade once again above his shoulder.

“Labs!” Falk cried, pointing towards his outstretched arms. The woodcutter looked down, to where his sleeve had rolled back to reveal his previous gangrenous bite.

“You’re bitten!” the young dwarf exclaimed, rage filling his throat. “I killed you!”

“It’s not your fault!” Labs exclaimed, as a wide-eyed Falk backed away from him.

“You saved me, I’m sorry!”

Labs leapt forward as something moved in the shadows behind Falk.

“Stay back!” Falk shouted, lifting his weapon to warn off the infected woodcutter.

“No! Behind you, dumb fool!” Labs exclaimed.

With agonising inevitability, a decaying arm wrapped itself around Falk’s torso from behind, yanking him backwards. The young dwarf squealed, at first in fear then in agony as a pair of jagged teeth ripped into his neck, spraying Labs with blood.

The woodcutter staggered back, wiping the blood from his eyes. He looked at Falk, and only gaping dead eyes stared back at him.

“I’m sorry, I really am,” he mumbled, before charging forward with his axe held high.

Welcome to Spiritwood
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25