Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61279 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2009, 12:04:37 pm »

I (Falk) probably would have pincushioned a zombie with bolts and then run away...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2009, 05:14:48 pm »

Yes, in hindsight I should have taken a little more time over the encounter and covered a few more of the named dwarfs, but I wanted to get the ball rolling again, so the quality of the writing suffered a little. We'll just assume that none of the victims were named dwarves, Diesalot aside, as I at least would have mentioned it in passing. When I go back over this chapter to clean it up I think I'll lengthen the battle scene a little more. Anyway, this isn't the last time we'll see the zombies, so there's plenty of time for everyone else to die...

As for the implementation of the zombie virus, I suppose it all depends on how contagions are implemented. Toady already mentioned in one of the podcasts how a '28 days later' model could theoretically be possible, so fingers crossed for the possibility of a zombie plague.

You'd cut off your arm? I can't honestly say I'd be brave enough to do that. I'd probably gibber in terror until I died, or try and hide it like Labs, but I can't honestly say I'd be able to do it myself. I might ask someone else to do it, I suppose, but can't really imagine bringing that up in conversation.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:29:33 am by Cirius »
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2009, 06:39:39 pm »

We weren't criticising you for not mentioning our characters, we were just having some fun imagining what happened in the battle :)

It's still really good to read, please continue.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2009, 06:49:07 pm »

We weren't criticising you for not mentioning our characters, we were just having some fun imagining what happened in the battle :)

It's still really good to read, please continue.
This is all true.

What comes to zombie infections, I guess I would first wait a little while to make sure I have the infection, then probably do the old traditional Finnish axe-to-head suicide. Though I might ask for someone else to do it for me, since the method has a chance of not killing on the first try.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2009, 10:03:12 pm »

What comes to zombie infections, I guess I would first wait a little while to make sure I have the infection, then probably do the old traditional Finnish axe-to-head suicide. Though I might ask for someone else to do it for me, since the method has a chance of not killing on the first try.
Yeah, I can see doing it yourself having a chance of just making things worse.

Me, I'd probably panic and start trying to find a cure for the thing.  Without any sort of method.  Cause I'm, you know, panicking.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2009, 10:34:44 pm »

Oh nice. I just get back from 2 weeks of Australia and Terry Pratchett only to find out I'm a zombie in this story. I'm still loving it though.  ;D  I say you lop off his arm.  :P
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2009, 11:05:59 pm »

OFF WITH HIS ARM!

In this case being the more merciful fate.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2009, 03:07:31 am »

I doubt it would help. First, I'd slice up the wound, and cut out all of the bite mark, etc - Just in case it spreads like a contagion.

Then... I'd probably tell everyone.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2009, 03:27:51 am »

And the prize for the most unpleasant image to wake up to goes to Servu with his unsuccessful self decapitation.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2009, 04:07:55 am »

And the prize for the most unpleasant image to wake up to goes to Servu with his unsuccessful self decapitation.
Thank you! Thank you! *bows*

Edit: Yeah, that stuff ain't pretty. Have heard some pretty gruesome stories, but it really is part of the charm. If you gotta go, why not leave a lasting impression? (Plus axes are more readily available than guns/etc.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:13:08 am by Servu »

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2009, 05:01:05 am »

The dwarven caravan rolled out of camp in a cloud of dust, leaving a scattered pile of debris, abandoned barrels, several broken wagons and a number of dead dwarves in their wake. At the head of the caravan, Tacken urged his wagon faster and faster as they bounced ferociously over the rough surface of the roadway. Whilst the fog had lifted slightly, visibility was still poor, and his eyes were narrow as he peered into the darkness.

“Come on you damned mules,” he shouted. “I have no intention of being lunch for a hungry deadite!”

On the back of the wagon, Kubluk held desperately onto the wagon alongside Othtar.
“See anything?” He asked the commander, who was scanning the darkness either side of the wagon with a practised eye.

“They’re certainly out there. Hundreds of the buggers. Just stood there, watching us. It’s like they’re playing with us.”

“Think we’ll get through?”

“Depends if they’ve had time to circle round us.”

As if in response to his statement, Tacken yanked back on the reins, pulling the wagon to a swift halt. Somewhat inevitably, from further back down the caravan line came a crunch, and several angry shouts.

“What is it?” Kubluk asked.

“They’re lined across the road ahead of us.” Tacken replied. “It looks like we’re going nowhere.”

Othtar turned to Kubluk. “We can try to run them down, but if we get bogged now, we’re toast.”

Kubluk paused, staring into the darkness. “We’re dwarves,” he said finally. It was enough.

“Right you lot,” Othtar’s voice detonated into the darkness. “Grab yourself a weapon, a pick, or a kitchen utensil. Line yourselves up out front, military dwarves to the front. We’re not getting out of this one without some bruises.”

With an element of both practised discipline and some pushing and shoving, within less than a minute the dwarves assembled into a rough defensive line. To their surprise, the hordes of the undead had not moved the entire time.

“What are they waiting for?” Kubluk finally asked.

“Dwarfmen!”

An unpleasant slither of a voice echoed across the intervening distance between the two lines. From the lines of the dead, a pair of rotting humans parted ranks to allow the sinister speaker to step forward. A monk, or at least the remains of one. His habit was torn and coated in mud, and his flesh hung in chunks from his body. Unlike the rest of the dead, he held himself firmly upright, his body held in strict self-control. He stood motionless, his eyes scanning the ranks of the dwarves with distaste and rancour.

“Dwarfmen,” he repeated, raising an skeletal arm with next to no flesh to point in their direction. “My name is Bonegrave, and these are my lands. And these,” he continued, waving his arm to encompass the assembled masses of the undead, “are my legion of the damned. And you,” he continued to continue, “will join them. Who speaks for your number?”

Kubluk looked up at Othtar stood beside him, who to his surprise was staring straight back at him. The muscular commander nodded to him, and motioned him forward.

Kubluk coughed in the silence, and took a deep breath.

“I am Kubluk Taniden,” he squeaked. “And I speak for the dwarves.”

Bonegrave’s snickering laughter filled the air. “You are no leader little dwarf,” the monk replied. “You tremble at my name. I am Bonegrave, the leader of the dead, fiend of the damned. My reign of terror has spanned fifty years. I slew Mizbo Masteredlengths the hero of the humans, I consumed the flesh of Urist McDwarf, I devoured the elven riders of the east, and I survived the heart of Boatmurdered. Bow before me!”

Kubluk furrowed his brow, and felt his cheeks reddening. Despite the terrifying circumstances, he could feel his temper running away with him. He flung down his pack and shook his fist furiously.

“I am Kubluk Taniden of the clan Taniden! My father was the miner Odthist Taniden, slayer of, of orthoclase and granite, and we stand against you. These lands are free lands, and we are free dwarves!”

Bonegrave laughed once again. “Perhaps I was wrong little dwarf. You speak with words of strength. Your fate will be long and agonising.”

Kubluk’s anger was reaching boiling point. “And your fate will be arduous and dull!” he found himself replying. “Until we kill you!”

“We will add your number to our own.” Bonegrave snarled. “You will serve me in death and beyond. Your women and young will serve as our feast tonight.”

Kubluk paused, considering his response. “No we won’t!” he finally yelled back, instantly regretting it. “I mean,” he added, “we will crush your bones to pave our road!” Yes, that sounded better.

The dwarves were becoming restless. They were not used to any pre-battle discussions beyond “charge!” Finally, from the ranks of the dwarves the quiet voice of Servu could be heard muttering to the dwarf beside him, almost under his breath.

“Wind speed, less than a knot…adjust for terrain…angle ten degrees…aye that should do it.”

A silvery shape leapt from their number, and danced into the air in a smooth parabola. Bonegrave looked up with mild interest at the flicker of light in the moonlight. Living and dead alike felt their eyes drawn to the mysterious object as it span through the air. The dead monk narrowed his eyes. “What sorcery is this?” he muttered.

Moments later, his head was split like a pumpkin by the expert signature throw of the Courageous Bolt’s blind swordthrower, Teach.

Silence ruled the land, as the ranks of the living and dead stared as one as Bonegrave slumped lifelessly into the ground, Teach’s sword protruding vertically from his corpse. Within the ranks, Servu nodded to himself in satisfaction.

“What a great pansy!” Teach shouted from the ranks. “Can we kill the rest o’ them yet?”

With a unified moan, the undead surged forward.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:32:12 am by Cirius »

Welcome to Spiritwood

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2009, 07:14:27 am »

haha love it!
should be an interesting battle.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2009, 04:40:38 pm »

uhhhh could i have that dwarf i requested please :P

and awesome story dude :D
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2009, 05:18:03 pm »

I'd like a dwarf, too.

Mason Za'kar. Preferably male.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2009, 08:09:00 pm »

You'd cut off your arm? I can't honestly say I'd be brave enough to do that. I'd probably gibber in terror until I died, or try and hide it like Labs, but I can't honestly say I'd be able to do it myself. I might ask someone else to do it, I suppose, but can't really imagine bringing that up in conversation.

Apply a tourniquet, tell someone you've been bitten and to make sure you don't start bleeding like mad, chug a ton of booze, and grab an axe. Look, if you're bitten you're screwed anyways, if amputation was the only way to survive I'd put up with missing an arm. Better one armed than with brains on the brain.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25