Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61300 times)

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2009, 05:43:11 pm »

Mmmm  "Epic story is Epic, End of story."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2009, 03:11:15 am »

Heheh... see? We all love your storywriting. So take a page out of my book and start updating three times a day. We'll all thank you for it!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2009, 10:49:07 am »

No preassure is needed :P

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »

Pressure will decrease quality! Pressure must be expunged!

We need a warm pillow! Stat!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2009, 03:27:32 pm »

Pressure will decrease quality! Pressure must be expunged!

We need a warm pillow! Stat!
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

sir diesalot

• Bay Watcher
  • WAIT IT'S A NINE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2009, 05:14:59 pm »

Very nice story so far. Great introduction to undead as well.

Also, my dwarf seems to have been forgotten since the 3rd page.
NOT THE BEES!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2009, 05:37:35 pm »

Very nice story so far. Great introduction to undead as well.

Also, my dwarf seems to have been forgotten since the 3rd page.

... Great how he brings that up right after Cirius announces that a named dwarf will die. Heh.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sir diesalot

• Bay Watcher
  • WAIT IT'S A NINE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2009, 05:57:11 pm »

Also great that my dwarf's name is Diesalot, making it all the more fitting.
NOT THE BEES!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2009, 06:06:17 pm »

heh... true. Awesome.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2009, 03:25:33 am »

As night fell, so did the fog. The dwarves had drawn the wagons round into two rough circles; an outer defensive perimeter patrolled by the military dwarves, and a smaller inner circle where the civilians would bed down for the night. With unspoken agreement, few fires were burning around the camp, and conversations were being conducted in a low whisper.

The Courageous Bolt were on guard duty, so Othtar was awake with Kubluk in the centre of the camp. The two were feeding on two substantial cuts of meat acquired from Tacken’s supplies, and their conversation was sporadically punctuated by the sound of chewing meat.

“So how did you end up commander of the Bolt?” Kubluk asked, after swallowing a particularly troublesome chunk of meat.

“Taking command of the Courageous Bolt is a little unorthodox. Very few dwarfs have ever been promoted to the position. It’s more a question of necessity. As one commander falls in battle, the next guy picks up where he left off. I’m actually a sergeant.”

Kulbuk looked confused. “Then you’ve never had any training in command?” he asked.

“No-one can train you how to command. You just do it. If it’s a good command, people live. If it’s a bad command, people don’t come home. You just learn to live with it, and learn from your mistakes.”

Kubluk hung his head. “I’m just glad I’ve got dwarves like you around me. I don’t think we’d have got this far without the Courageous Bolt.”

Othtar chuckled. “We’re only dwarves, just like you and every other carpenter and trader in the caravan.”

“But the stories of bravery, of courage. I couldn’t have done those things.”

“We didn’t have a choice. It was either live, or die. One day I’m sure you’ll have to face the very same decisions, and I can tell you this, “he continued, “you’ll fight as hard as you can for as long as you can, because you just don’t have any other choice.”

Kubluk nodded, before biting another chunk from the meat. He wasn’t sure what he was eating, but from experience, he knew better than to ask.

“How’s our human guest?” he asked finally, after another long pause in the conversation.

“Pretty shaken up,” Othtar replied. “He’s still sleeping, but I’ve ordered Diesalot to watch over him and call us when he wakes. I’d still like to see what more information we can gather from him.”

Within the protection of the inner perimeter, the woodcutter Labs was trying to sleep. With a sigh, he rolled over on the hard ground, and cursed as another pebble dug into his back. He shivered in the cold night air, his breath condensing with each heave of his chest. Finally, with a huff, the woodcutter finally accepted the inevitable. He was going to have to relieve himself.

Wrapping his blanket around his shoulders, he grumbled himself to his feet, and strolled in the direction of the camp latrine. The going was slow, as every few seconds he was forced to pick his way between the various prone bodies of the slumbering dwarves. Passing a lone sentry in the darkness, he nodded to the dwarf before moving onwards. The guard merely inclined his head towards Labs and sighed, a deep rush of air moving from his lungs.

Finally and with great relief, Labs arrived at the latrine, and set about performing his business. After several moments, he looked up and was surprised to find that the sentry had followed him. The soldier now stood motionless several paces away, watching him silently.

“Diesalot, is that you?” Labs asked, recognising the dwarf from his shape in the damp fog. The soldier hissed quietly in response, and tilted his head in a strangely unnatural pose.

“Can’t a dwarf pee in peace?” Labs demanded. “Bugger off and leave me be.”

Diesalot began to move towards him. Not in the slow deliberate manner of a military dwarf on patrol, Labs thought to himself. No, more in the slow deliberate manner of somebody wanting to eat his brains.

“Oh sod,” Labs exclaimed, before scrabbling to do up his trousers. Picking up a nearby length of branch, he swung it at the dead dwarf. “Wake up!” He shouted. “We’ve got zombies!”

Diesalot lumbered forward, his feet scraping an unnatural rhythm on the dusty ground. His mouth opened in a sickening parody of a grimace and he moaned an unearthly sound. He raised his arms to reach out and grab for Labs, who hefted the tree branch like an axe.

“You want my tasty flesh?” Labs asked, pacing backwards from the zombie. “Well you’re going to have to come get them. It’ll take more than a deadite to bring me down.” He took several steps backwards, before hearing an unpleasant squelch. He looked down to find his left foot in the latrine.

“Now look what you’ve made me go and do,” he complained, before charging forward at the undead.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2009, 03:29:21 am »

Author's Note:

The fate of Diesalot was fixed from the beginning. He was always going to end up a dead dwarf, the only question was how. I am actually quite surprised that he lasted this long frankly.

At least now he gets to un-live on forever, that is unless someone cuts off his head, or he rots, or he freezes, or he gets set on fire.

Diesalot, RIP.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2009, 03:48:52 am »

Heh. Irony kills.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2009, 06:46:49 am »

You could do both,  Dump alcohol on him wwait for him to freeze light him on fire then chop his head off.  FTW.

RIP sir diesalot.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2009, 10:08:04 am »

Heh, I laughed at the squelch. Nice update.  :)
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2009, 04:31:48 pm »

i want dwarfy :3

a worker with a dark background and who hides his artifact micricline amulet under his shirt. he is beardless due to a bad experiance with a pyromancer and is always cleaned shaven. has great martial arts skills and is extremly professional with the obsidian saber he keeps concieled under his cloak. he is keeps to himself and rarely talks. he has a vertical gash on his left eye but his eye is in perfect condition. he usually sits brooding and will sometimes harvest certain plants for maliucios uses (hopefully as fatal poison on his saber). he was an ex member of a fort that was rumoured to have found adamantine and returns any inquiry with a flash of his dagger in the cuff of his sleeve to warn them to never ask again. ever.

i hope that isn't too much of a request :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:24:40 am by skaltum »
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25