Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61291 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2009, 11:28:28 pm »

Cos dwarves put the FUN in HFS!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2009, 02:40:48 am »

Commander Silus looked up at the approaching sound of pounding feet, and reached for his weapon. He was relieved yet still somewhat disappointed when moments later the three dwarven scouts of the Helm of Jaws came into view.

“The village…” Falk panted, “overturned carts…blockades..”

Rocard waved his exhausted colleague to sit down, and saluted the commander.

“There are signs of a prolonged attack,” he began, sketching a vague outline of the village in the dirt with his foot. “The villagers have erected defences around the boundary at these positions,” he marked a couple of new lines in the dirt, “and pretty much blocked off access via the main roads. The blockades seem to be holding, and the wall still seems relatively secure, but we couldn’t see anyone moving around inside.”

Silus scratched his beard, and leaned forward to inspect the diagram. “Did you see anything of the attackers?” he asked.

Rocard shook his head. “Not one. Tracks lead north from the village and indicate a group of about fifty, but they’re badly scuffed, and it’s difficult to get a clear print from them.”
“Goblins?”

“Could be sir, but it’s not their usual hunting grounds.”

“No, that’s what I thought.” The commander peered at the diagram closely. The road the caravan would take ran straight through the village, and a detour was impossible in the difficult terrain. The blockades would have to be shifted aside to allow the wagons access to the road north.

“I guess we’re going to have to go take a look then.” Silus stood up, and shouldered his pack. “Form up lads!” he barked. “Grab your weapons and prepare for trouble. We’re heading into town!”

The dozen dwarves of the Helm of Jaws knew that approaching the village unseen would be impossible. A wide area of ground surrounding the wall had been cleared of bushes and debris, permitting no cover to the approaching dwarves. Silus had therefore decided to dispense with a covert operation, and march right up to the front door.

As the dwarves in their glistening armour marched in perfect rank and file down the roadway, Silus ordered the banner unfurled and within moments the purple flag flew with its proud emblem of a silver helm on the backdrop of a golden cog.

As they approached to crossbow range, he lifted his hand and brought their number to a swift halt. He drew a small bronze horn from his belt and blew a loud tone. The tone spread across the silent village, shattering the silence. A flock of dark crows exploded into the air, startled by the noise that interrupted their feeding.

Rocard pointed the climbing birds out to his commander. “Carrion birds,” he remarked. “they can only mean death.”

“True enough,” Silus responded, eyeing the crows with some distaste. Suddenly, he broke into a smile. “Let’s just make sure it’s not our death then, shall we?”

He cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled. “Hello?!!”

The dwarves stood in silence for almost a minute, before the commander tried again.

“Hello! Is anybody there?”

A distant crow cried out the only response.

Silus adjusted the strap on his helmet, and nodded towards the barricade. “Falk, Rocard, see if you can’t find us a way in.”

The two dwarves scurried forward, crouched low to protect themselves from any hidden bowmen concealed within the village walls. Within moments, Falk looked up with some surprise to find himself at the wall without a scratch. He knocked apprehensively on the hastily erected barricade, a hefty wagon that had been turned at considerable effort on to its side. The silence that replied was almost worse than the expected cries of ambush, so he coughed softly to bring an end to the quiet.

Rocard shrugged, and muttered. “Guess they’ve up and left. Give us a hand, and we’ll get this shifted.”

The two dwarves leant heavily against the wagon and strained. With their combined dwarven strength, the wagon creaked loudly, and finally tipped back onto its wheels, where it was an easy matter to wheel the cart aside.

“All clear!” Rocard shouted, and the rest of the dwarves surged forward at a run. The party rushed through the newly formed hole, their weapons held high in expectation of resistance. Silus was at the head of the charge, his silver axe presenting the tip of the assault. His skill in battle was a close match for the legendary prowess of Othtar and Teach, so it was somewhat disappointing for the accompanying dwarves when they discovered nobody waiting for them on the other side.

“By the gods, where is everybody?” he grumbled, his axe lowering slightly, but still ready for use.
Suddenly, a loud bang shattered the silence. Within an instant, the dwarves moved into a practised formation, every eye and blade focused on a different location, making a surprise attack impossible. Falk lifted his crossbow to his eye and scanned the rooftops around them. He cursed to himself as he could feel his hands trembling in fear. Silus waved an arm without saying a word, and the diamond of dwarves moved slowly forward, still in battle formation. Another bang reverberated through the streets, its source concealed by the echoing alleys and walls.

“Bugger this for a patrol,” Silus muttered, almost to himself. The other dwarves grunted in response.

They rounded a corner as a final bang shattered the silence. Its source was an elderly shutter that swung precariously in the wind. Instinctively, Falk’s finger tightened on the trigger and a crossbow bolt sliced across the square. It slammed into the shutter, which sagged rather pathetically before dropping into the dust of the street.

Rocard chuckled at the inexperienced dwarf. “Nice shooting,” he remarked.

Falk mumbled apologetically, before fumbling another bolt into the crossbow.

“So,” Silus announced. “Either we’ve missed the party, or no-one wants to come out and play. How rude.”

As if in direct response to his comment, a door slammed open across the square from the dwarves. A wide eyed human burst from the doorway, his clothes in tatters, and ran towards the dwarves, a rusted blade in his hand. The dwarves raised their weapons in preparation for attack.

“Steady,” Silus warned, and raised his axe. “Either you stop, or we will cut you down where you stand!” he warned.

The human slowed, and collapsed into the dust almost at the commander’s feet. He looked up, his chest heaving from exhaustion. The absolute terror in his eyes was palpable to every member of the patrol.

Silus stared the man in the eyes, and lowered his own weapon. He reached out, took the rusted knife from the unresisting human’s hand, and dropped it in the street.

The human stared back at him, and croaked something inaudibly.

“What was that?” Silus replied, leaning forward close to the man’s mouth.

“Run,” he whispered.

“Run? From what?”

“The dead are coming.”
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2009, 04:54:01 am »

The Dead Are Rising! Repent! Repent!

Ohh man, this is So SWEET. Zombie attacks and stuff! WOO! Gimme more!
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2009, 04:58:45 am »

Awesome. Keep 'em coming!

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2009, 03:31:52 am »

People of many races have often hypothesised what it is that drags some people back from the grave as an undead. Some believe in the fabled ‘magic’, a power beyond any mortal understanding, a domain restricted entirely to the gods. More academic dwarves point the accusing finger at an unknown disease that survives on dead flesh. Others blame the rising number of rising corpses on a shortage of chairs in hell.

Whatever the cause, there is surely nothing more terrifying to a warrior than facing a charging mob of slavering beasts and recognising a dead relative staring back at you. It’s an unsettling combination of the chaos of battle, amplified by the guilt of not providing a good enough funeral for your grandparent.

Whilst slow, the typical undead is a persistent beast, neither suffering from exhaustion or hunger. They will generally keep coming, until presented with a better target, or their legs fall off.

Silus knew all of this, and it was doing little to lighten his mood. The human had eventually calmed down enough to present a fairly understandable account of the attack. Several days previously, a ragged column of migrants had come from the north, begging for sanctuary after escaping an attack of the undead. The village had opened its gates to them, little realising that several of the group were in the first stages of transformation. The doctor was the first to die, after losing his face to one of his patients. The attack spiralled rapidly out of control, due to confusion and misunderstanding. No-one was willing to strike a fatal blow at their own, even when only dead eyes stared back at them.

Silus spat. “It’s always the same with humans. Reluctant to take necessary steps, even to survive. The eyes are the key, if there’s no-one staring back at you through them, then you’re lunch.”

So the attack had spread rapidly through the small community, decimating their numbers. Those that hid were soon found and torn apart by the rising numbers of the undead. To the human’s knowledge, he was the only survivor, sealed within a hidden cellar, forced to sit for hours with his hands over his ears to drown out the screams of the dying, and the moans of the cursed. He was on the verge of madness when the dwarves had finally arrived.

“Still,” Silus slapped him on the back. “Cheer up, you survived after all.”

The human stared back at him, his eyes wide with incomprehension. The dwarven attitude towards death and destruction was legendary among the other races, but it was always unsettling to see it first hand. A dwarf wouldn’t blink at a mass grave, but would go into a beserk rage at the thought of losing a priceless artifact.

Silus rose to his feet and commanded the others to do the same. “Get those barricades shifted, and clear a path for the wagons. We’re going to head through here at full tilt, and head north as fast as we can. I’d like to see those deadites try and catch us.”

Rocard looked to the north, where the massive trail of shambling feet proceeded into the distance. “But that’s where they went.”

“Not much of a choice sergeant, it’s the only road heading in our direction. If we catch up to them, well, we’ll just have to beat ourselves a path. Send a runner back to the caravan, and tell them to move out. Oh, and tell Othtar to prepare for the undead.”
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2009, 04:55:42 am »

A dwarf wouldn’t blink at a mass grave, but would go into a beserk rage at the thought of losing a priceless artifact.

Sigged for good measure.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2009, 04:58:04 am »

I like. More! More!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2009, 02:35:31 pm »

Man, While reading this I keep coming back to "wtf omg this is epic," And I read it again and its like a freaking movie.  If only I was rich and could fund such an endevor it would be the best dwarf fortress movie EVER!!!

Btw zombies. You just gained like +2000 rep in my book.  Fcking love zombies and fortifications against em XD You are a master of words and leave people wanting more. If this story dies I shall hunt you down and put you in a glass cage, Where you will be forced to live out your days till the stories done then thrown into the magma like the deserter you are (too harsh?) >.> <.< Good job!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2009, 04:34:29 pm »

^
|

Ah HA! See, Cirius? See how it feels to have someone expect you to keep writing? Threatening you, or a certain butcher to ensure it? How cruel, Cirius... How cruel.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2009, 04:49:32 pm »

:P *bows* Just spreading around the ... love? XD

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2009, 04:53:46 pm »

i say young man get me some braaaaiiiiinssss... says the zombie noble
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2009, 05:00:26 pm »

Zombie noble has issued a mandate: Moar brains.

You have failed to fufill mandate, Punishment? Yoar brains!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2009, 07:57:13 pm »

I'm just guessing you've read the Zombie Survival Guide, right? That was the number one threat of zombie spreading in the book, the infected seeking refuge and the survivors being unable to kill their turned loved ones.

Lovin the story though. Should have chosen a soldier, woodcutters haven't actually come into play yet /sigh.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2009, 08:09:14 pm »

Dude course. I have TZSG and WWZ.  Also have an extension collection of Z movies.  I luuuve zombies.  And thats why i gasm'd when I read "And they refused to attack their loved ones" Silly humans.  Dwarves are epic win.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2009, 11:16:34 pm »

Zombies are epic win too. Not as epic win as dwarves.

Dwarven zombies?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25