Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61260 times)

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2009, 05:32:00 pm »

Keep 'em coming! As far as I'm concerned, this is the forum's most interesting story in progress.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2009, 02:29:18 pm »

Crikey, up to 91 replies for my little thread.

100th response gets...umm...I don't know, a brief acknowledgement.

Thanks for all the support and goodwill. Not sure I'd have been able to keep at it without everyone's positive responses. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to update this week, as work's rearing its ugly little head, but I shall do my best. Here's to another 10,000 words!
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2009, 05:21:08 am »

<cheers to the next 10000 words>
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2009, 06:18:30 am »

Is it too late to claim a dwarf for this thing?
"Falk", a dwarven boy who is almost of age, becomes a crossbowdwarf?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2009, 08:18:27 am »

Yay!
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2009, 01:19:00 pm »

Hmm, a dwarf full of youthful exuberance, eager to prove himself in combat? I can see this boy having the life expectancy of a flea...hehe.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2009, 01:39:23 pm »

Hopefully he at least manages to actually shoot something (even if he doesn't kill it) before he dies ;D
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2009, 09:56:19 am »

No update makes me sad.  :'(

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2009, 03:29:09 am »

"I'm not sure how often I'll be able to update this week"

The answer was not at all. This made me sad also. I am now however typing as we speak, the kitten is attempting to fish haribo sweets out of a small bowl on the table, whilst my other cat watches on in vague bemusement.

There will be an update today, you have my word as a literary dwarf.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2009, 04:12:52 am »

Silus ran at a crouch, his armour shifting uncomfortably against his knees as he moved forward with a squad of the Helm of Jaws. They moved forward at a rapid pace, yet still conscious of attack.
The military dwarves of the Jaws presented a stark contrast to those of the Courageous Bolt. Commander Silus was a firm believer in discipline, and often found himself coming under verbal blows from Othtar, who found his pre-occupation with polishing armour and marching drills to be counterproductive. Silus however was firmly a dwarf of the old school of military thought, a believer in formations and battle drills. The two commanders were therefore the source of much friction within the military of the mountain home, as their successes on the field left a great deal of uncertainty as to which direction the military would go in future. Regardless of their personal beliefs, both commanders had a great deal of respect for the other.

Because of this, the dwarves under Silus’ command positively glinted, their armour reflecting the sunlight above them as they jogged down the road, feet pounding the stones in almost perfect unison. Their commander led the advance, his strong muscular frame easily visible at the head of the dwarves.

Suddenly, he raised an arm and barked for a halt. The dwarves behind him stopped in moments, and dropped into a combat stance, their hands reaching for their blades.

“The village should be just over the next rise,” he remarked, indicating the direction with the flat of his sword. Turning, he aimed his blade towards the dwarves and indicated a selection of them. “Falk, Rocard, Brabus, move forward and assess the situation. You are to engage only if provoked. Sound the alarm if you need reinforcing, and we’ll come running.”

The three chosen dwarves snapped a salute, and separated from the group. Silus watched them jog over the hillside, and sat himself down. “Stand yourself easy dwarves, but don’t get too comfortable, we may not be here for too long.”

The three crossbow dwarves moved ahead of their colleagues at a swift pace, eager to prove themselves. Of the three, only Rocard was a dwarf of much experience. The other two were relative new comers to the Helm of Jaws, and in the case of Falk, had yet to see any actual combat. Rocard was therefore on his guard and extremely cautious.

Surprisingly then it was Falk who was the first to spot the village which crouched forebodingly in a small valley ahead of them. A faint cloud of dust and smoke almost obscured its presence, but it was clear even to the inexperienced marksman that something was amiss. Blocking the main routes into the village were a series of obstacles, wagons turned onto their sides, stacked barrels and firewood, packed almost haphazardly across the roadway. He turned to his companions, and began to whisper in a low voice.

“Definitely a human settlement, but what’s with the wagons?” he asked.

“It’s some kind of defensive line,” Brabus replied. “Those blockades look like they’ve been forced several times. See the scratches, the breaks in the wood?”

“But they’re still holding out?”

“Looks like it, but I’m not sure how much longer they can stay that way. Depends really on who the attackers are.”

Falk found himself gripping his crossbow a little too tightly in reassurance, and readjusted his grip.

“Think it’s goblins?” he squeaked.

“Not this far south.”

Falk coughed, and deepened his voice.

“What then? Other humans?”

“Perhaps,” Rocard answered, turning away his head to hide a faint smile at the young dwarfs obvious discomfort.

“Think we should go down and check it out, or head back to Silus?” Falk asked, his eyes still fixed on the village ahead of them. Aside from the distant clattering of shutters swinging in the breeze, and occasional bark of a dog, not a sound could be heard from the village. To further the air of mystery, they could see absolutely no-one on the streets down below.

“We weren’t expecting anything like this,” Rocard finally answered. “We go back, Silus needs to know about this.”

“We could just go down and have a closer look?”

Rocard looked back at Falk in surprise. The recruit had seemingly lost his terror in the space of a few seconds, and was apparently now asking to place himself deliberately in a dangerous position. For a moment, the soldier was impressed, but still he shook his head.

“It’s not worth the risks Falk, and you know it.”

“But I’m ready now! I’m not scared.”

“This isn’t about you Falk. No-one’s questioning your skill, but if there’s a bigger threat to the caravan then the commander needs to know about it.”

Falk lowered his head, clearly disappointed. “I understand sir.”

Rocard slapped him on the back. “Don’t worry Falk, this is going to be a long journey. You’ll get your chance to fight, I promise you. And when you do, I’ll be standing right beside you.”

Welcome to Spiritwood

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2009, 04:27:50 am »

I'm so loving this story *grabs popcorn*
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2009, 04:36:30 am »

***FANFARE!***

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
100TH POST IS HEREBY ENSHRINED IN HISTORY

LET IT BE ENGRAVED FOR ALL ETERNITY IN ADAMANTINE USING A POINTY ADAMANTINE GRAVING STICK!

This is an admantine post. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with epic and encircled with bands of win.
On the image are the words,
I'm so loving this story *grabs popcorn*

Cirius has admired a fine 100th post lately.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2009, 04:37:08 am »

Woohoo!
Thanks, you've captured what I had in mind for Falk perfectly.
I'm proud to be part of such an awesome story. I look forward to reading more.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2009, 05:42:16 am »

An *update* and a 100th post right next to each other?
THE CROWD GOES WILD

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:42 pm »

Introducing elf druids to the dwarven brand of FUN has always been a favored past time of mine. You can play catch with special giant steel Frisbees of dwarven make (with serrated edges for better grip) or Shiny Pointy Metals Sticks. Tag is a refreshing alternative for when you tire of throwing stuff around recommended to play near an idyllic lake or large drop for better ambience. Should that grow boring you can always play a nice game of baseball with them (with standard iron or steel war hammers of course).  With all these fun games it looks like there is truly no end of FUN in sight for Teach.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25