Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61299 times)

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2009, 02:11:01 pm »

A great one again!

Also, sigged.
“We ask for a battle, and you give us slugmen?!”

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2009, 05:44:28 pm »

How about incorporating beastmen and lizardmen? My beastmen are half human, half canine (hyena, wolf, wild dog faces) and fast and bitey. They're not werewolves who transform and infect and need silver weapons. Beastmen got clubs, daggers, leather armor and loinclothes. They're friendlier than goblins and they live in forest retreats (just like human outlaws). Sometimes beastmen wipe out elf towns, kudos to them!

Lizardmen are human speed and bite sort of like alligators. They are sticky about honor and tradition and maintain 200-year old grudges. Tropical areas. Spears and bows.

Oh, and have them find a dead unicorn. Or a cute bear cub that gets crushed by something.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2009, 06:07:05 pm »

Since you just asked him to do that, doing it would mean part of the story is spoiled before it is written.

It's generally a good strategy to just see what the author comes up with.  In this particular case it should be good.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:41:15 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2009, 07:30:03 pm »

That was, again, one stylish update!
Can't wait until the caravan reaches it destination.
Strike the Elves!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2009, 11:34:25 pm »

I'm very happy about all of this.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2009, 03:11:44 am »

Alalar stood over the human corpse, his twin blades dripping with the remnant blood from the killing stroke. “So,” he hissed. “Silent to the end. A noble act, even for a human.”

Behind him, Lora yanked an arrow from another body, and wiped the blood from its tip. “Perhaps she didn’t know anything?” he enquired.

“They always know something, whether they are aware of it or not.” His gaze fell to the body of the woman he had recently slain. Her body was a morbid collection of sweeping cuts, evidence of the many hours it must have taken her to finally die. “It’s simply a question of what they know, and how you ask the questions.”

“And the infant?” Lora asked, turning to where a tiny bundle lay discarded on the ground.

Alalar turned away from the body, and raised an eyebrow. “Would you have left the child to starve in the wilderness, prey for any passing wolf?”

He stepped away and sheathed his two short swords back into their homes at his side. As the two elves searched the bodies, their pointed ears continuously twitched, absorbing every sound of the forest, ever vigilant to threats. Their dark mottled skin blended almost seamlessly with the bushes and bark that surrounded them, in an almost perfect camouflage that had served them well during their recent attack.

Lora looked upwards as the distant cry of a bird shattered the silence of the clearing. Moments later, it cried out again. The elf stood and repeated the cry in an almost indistinguishable mimic of the bird.

The two elves looked up, as the forest canopy was disturbed by the beating of a pair of powerful wings. An eagle punched effectively through the leaves, and landed swiftly at their feet. Alalar crouched, extending a hand, and the eagle nuzzled it affectionately.

“A messenger from the king, my brother,” he remarked, and proceeded to unfasten the small tube wrapped securely around the bird’s neck.

He unrolled the small scroll, and looked over the spidery elven script with a keen eye. “We ride for the Spirit Wood. Our liege has had a vision of war.”

Lora turned away from his crouching brother, and whistled. Within seconds, a pair of dark horses cantered into the clearing, their hooves beating a powerful staccato rhythm on the stony ground. As the lead horse approached him, he stroked its nose and allowed it to sniff his hand. “We have a long ride ahead of us dear friend. Are you ready?”

The horse whinnied softly and nuzzled against him, eager for the hunt to begin.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2009, 08:15:58 am »

Omg. Sociopath fascist elves.

BURRRRRRRN THEM!!!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2009, 07:57:14 pm »

Posting in an awesome thread.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2009, 08:05:13 pm »

I've converted YE! Muhahahaha!!!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2009, 02:42:39 am »

Apologies for the few days without any updates. Work has been completely hectic as of late, leaving me little time to either write or play such a time sink of a game.

I have made the decision to move this project to one major weekly post,starting this Sunday. Time depending, I will still advance the story during the week if I have the chance, but the days of daily postings are unfortunately past. I should still have the chance to pop onto the forums during the day, so will still be able to answer any questions or respond to any remarks.

Hope you're all enjoying the story so far.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2009, 02:45:48 am »

Don't worry about it. In my experience, people will put up with slow updates. I haven't found the point where they stop putting up with it and get pissed yet, but I'm working towards it.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2009, 02:55:21 am »

I second with Jackrabbit, don't worry about getting the updates up every day, the story quality makes it completely worth it.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2009, 03:00:07 am »

Ignoring everything I just said...

Midnight came to the swamp. The dwarven caravan had wound its way for hours through treacherous murky pools and hidden ditches, and finally hitched up camp on the only high ground within sight for miles around. The mound itself was relatively dry, but the smell of damp mud and rotting vegetation still managed to permeate the whole site.

In an attempt to relieve the unpleasant atmosphere, a number of fires had been lit around the mound, and the sound of dwarven song filled the air. Despite their surroundings, their spirits were high, and alcohol passed freely between the dwarves.

Legon stood at the edge of the site, his eyes scanning the darkness for signs of movement. The memory of the slugmen ambush was fresh in his mind. Whilst the foe was clearly no match for the dwarves, a well timed ambush could still be devastating on an unprepared dwarven camp.

Kubluk staggered over to him, and slapped him on the shoulder. “Come and join t’ party,” he exclaimed, somewhat incoherently. “You’ve sure earned a break after today. Those slugs didn’t know what hit ‘em!”

“I’ll join you shortly,” he responded, his eyes still watching for trouble. “My watch will be over fairly soon, but we must stay alert for a counterattack.”

“All work and no play makes Urist a dull dwarf,” Kubluk remarked, and slapped Legon around the back for a second time. Legon felt a curious damp sensation from his tunic, and looked down. The drunken dwarf had managed to spill almost his entire drink over Legon, and was even now staring with some bewilderment at his now empty jug.

“I’ve run ou’ drink,” he mumbled, and staggered back towards the party.

“Kubluk!” Dirulal cried, slapping the empty space beside him in front of the campfire. “come and sit yourself down. You’ll only spill your drink again! Besides, we have tales of mighty deeds to tell.”

Wandering over, Kubluk misjudged the location of the seat, and landed heavily beside the fire. Dirulal helped him into a seating position, then passed him a lump of freshly cooked meat.

Kubluk took a bite from the meat, and regarded it with a puzzled glance. “What’s this?” he asked, swallowing the partially chewed meat with a grimace.

Dirulal laughed, and took a healthy bite from his own. “Slugman,” he remarked, and continued to munch, his beard full of fresh juices. Kubluk sniffed the meat, shrugged, and continued to eat.

Opposite them both, Othtar was deep into a story. He was stood up, and his arms were gesticulating wildly around his shoulders,  recounting stories of their past victories. The on-looking dwarves were in awe.

“…There we were,” he continued. “Standing on the edge of a great ravine. Goblins to our front, and nothing but the abyss to our rear. They had us cornered, with nowhere to go but down.”

“What did you do?” A rapt Tacken asked, his gaze fixed on the dwarf in wonder.

Othtar gave a deep laugh, and swung his arms downwards in a chopping gesture. “Same thing we always do, we fought! The goblins speak in terror of that day. Over a hundred of them we killed. Half we tossed into the abyss, the other we cut to splinters!”

Kubluk listened, swaying side to side through a rather drunken stupor. Since the outset of their journey, he had heard many tales of the adventures of the Courageous Bolt, and their bravery, even when heavily outnumbered with no chance of success. Now he, Kubluk, was meant to lead them and many other dwarves to success and victory. Even in a drunken haze, he couldn’t help but fear he wasn’t up to the task.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2009, 03:04:17 am »

Heh, I am instantly reminded of 300 and them dumping Persians into the sea.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2009, 03:13:10 am »

Othtar: "Those goblins look thirsty. Well, let's give them something to drink!"

Welcome to Spiritwood
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25