Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61254 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #345 on: March 30, 2010, 08:10:22 am »

Waiiiit a secn'd.

Death is a butcher?

Hem... Heheheh.

Hahaha! BWAHAHAHA!

THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE INTERESTING

On another note: Miscellaneous words of praise t'ya cirius.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 02, 2010, 04:25:11 am »

The next update has been delayed slightly. I want to finish book one of Spiritwood in the next post, so have another couple of pages to knock out before I'll be posting up on here. Shouldn't be more than a day or so.

And no, I am not playing the new release instead of writing. I'm at work.

Ok. So I may have played it a bit this morning.

Just a little.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 02, 2010, 04:29:14 am »

Don't worry, I think most of your readership is probably playing the new df too :P
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2010, 04:17:12 pm »

I think this is a necro but I can't wait for more updates! we need to keep this thread going!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 11, 2010, 11:54:59 pm »

Good to see this thread again.
Don't think necroing it's gonna be an issue, if anything it'll just encourage Cirius and that's always nice.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 19, 2010, 11:09:52 am »

wheres ma update?  :'( please  :-*
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 28, 2010, 10:59:28 am »

Neeecrrooooo buuummmp

This is an awesome story and I would hate to see it go down in a blaze of inactiveness
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 28, 2010, 03:50:33 pm »

Ahh, blessed are the bumps in their multitude and supportivity.

And no, that isn't a word.

Apologies for my absence from the forums.

I have some bad news I'm afraid. Unfortunately the baby mentioned a few pages ago was lost to us, and I've been a little more concerned with providing support for my wife than working on Spiritwood. Things are pretty much back to normal now, but we're both still somewhat knocked for six.

I'll see what I can do over the next couple of days about getting the next post out. I thank you all for your patience and continued support for this tale.

Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 28, 2010, 04:03:22 pm »

Ahh, blessed are the bumps in their multitude and supportivity.

And no, that isn't a word.

Apologies for my absence from the forums.

I have some bad news I'm afraid. Unfortunately the baby mentioned a few pages ago was lost to us, and I've been a little more concerned with providing support for my wife than working on Spiritwood. Things are pretty much back to normal now, but we're both still somewhat knocked for six.

I'll see what I can do over the next couple of days about getting the next post out. I thank you all for your patience and continued support for this tale.

Oh my god.

*hugs*
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 28, 2010, 04:04:19 pm »

I am so sorry Cirus. So, so sorry.

Don't come back to this if you don't want to or if it's too much.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 28, 2010, 04:37:17 pm »

Urist McAsshole: YE BIG ELVEN PANSY! ME AND MY WIFE LOST A BABY AND WERE STILL ESTATIC! IF IT BOTHERS YE THAT MUCH GO DUNK YER HEAD IN THE WATERFALL!

Urist McHuman: Uh... he's a Human, not a Dwarf, Urist.

Urist McApologetic: Eh? Human? ... Imma sorry for yer loss, big guy. Go grab a barrel o' sunshine, I'm payin.

In other news, There is none. Hope you feel better buddy.  :'(
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 28, 2010, 04:54:09 pm »

My sincerest condolences Cirius. I've have friends lose kids and I have two kids of my own and can well imagine. Hope you guys pull through this ok.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 07, 2010, 02:34:30 am »

Considering the rather inebriated state of the vast majority of the dwarves, the decision was made to stay clear, at least temporarily, of the perimeter of the elven forest. Many were disappointed, but after Tacken drunkenly navigated the lead wagon off the road into a tree, they began to acknowledge the wisdom of the move.

So the dwarves bedded down once again in a small clearing for their final night on the road, each and every one of them wondering at the dangers the following weeks would bring.

As night shrouded the camp, Legon sat in the darkness on watch, his short sword resting on his lap, and eyes scanning the distant wood for any sign of movement. Shadows seemed to flit from tree to tree, dark shapes of indistinct shape and size moving within the rustling leaves and branches, and the soldier was not entirely convinced they were just tricks of the light. He listened intently, and absorbed the various night-sounds of the encampment.

From behind him, he could distinctly hear the rhythmic scraping of Othtar sharpening his sword against a rough stone. For the many years he had known the commander, Legon was at a loss to remember a single time that he’d ever caught Othtar asleep. Rumour and legend amongst the ranks held that the dwarf was immortal, and had no need for rest. Legon doubted its veracity, but whenever the commander was required, he always seemed wide awake, regardless of the hour.

To his right, in a distant corner of the camp, he could dimly make out the sound of scribbling. By the dull glow of a candle, he could make out the faintly illuminated face of Servu, who was furiously making notes and performing calculations on his miniature abacus. Legon had a quiet respect for the dwarf. A mind of numbers and words, not weapons, but all the more dangerous for it. It was his calculations that had allowed Teach to kill the liche Bonegrave, and it was his calculations that would allow the construction of the biggest and most important mega-project the dwarven race had ever undertaken, the very ark that would carry their race into the future.

Tacken the herdsdwarf was a short distance away, nursing his bruised head with a damp cloth. Legon shook his head with amusement as the injured dwarf reached for yet another drink.

As for Kubluk? The distant and rather loud snores of the inebriated dwarf could be heard throughout the camp, even while several others could be heard muttering about the racket. But still, Legon thought, let the dwarf sleep. With the burden of the gods on his shoulders, he deserved a couple of hours rest.

Hours later, dawn broke over the Spiritwood to reveal a lone wagon break away from the caravan and proceed slowly towards the looming trees. Aboard the shabby looking cart, the well rested figures of Kubluk, Dirulal, Legon and a rather hung over and tired Tacken peered into the surrounding trees with great apprehension.

As the wagon slowly pushed its way into the edge of the forest, the leafy canopy seemed to whisper at their passing. Legends among the dwarves told that the souls of the elven dead would always find their way to this forest sanctuary, where they would live out the rest of their existence within the trees of the Spiritwood. Whether true or not, the rustling of the leaves added a rather sinister ambience to their slow advance.

Kubluk shivered slightly, as if attuned to the trembling branches above him. His eyes darted from left to right, every shadow seemed to conceal hidden dangers, every dark spot a possible trap. Tacken pulled his cloak tightly around himself, seeking warmth from the cold morning air. With the creaking motion of the wagon, they rode onwards in silence. The only other sounds came from the canopy above them, which swayed continually in the gentle breeze.

Above them, startled by their passing, a large bird erupted from the trees in a cacophony of wings, causing the dwarves to crouch even lower in their perches.

Finally, after some minutes, Dirulal spat into the dirt beside the wagon. “Bugger this for a lark, I’m not sitting here in silence till the elves turn up.” He coughed, and began to sing in a low and doleful tone.

“Here we stand, mighty dwarves.
Digging in and making home.
Where we choose to strike the earth
We choose to call our own…”

One after another, the other nervous dwarves began to join in, their voices quiet to begin with, but as their confidence grew, they soon found themselves bellowing at the tops of their voices. From nowhere, Tacken had found himself another drink, which he used to conduct the others in song.

“…Strike the earth!
Dig a hole!
Find a gem,
Find a coal!…”

Fearful glances soon transformed into infectious grins, as the booming voices of the dwarves penetrated the shadows of the forest.

“…Mighty dwarves of old,
Ne’er been so bold,
Sheltered from the cold,
Making stuff to be sold!”

Suddenly, a loud snap shattered the shadowy silence. Instantly, the dwarves were silent, save for a slight silken sound as numerous weapons were drawn from their sheathes.

“What in the various gods names was that?” Dirulal muttered, clasping at his belt for a crude steel dagger.

“Show yourselves,” Kubluk shouted into the shadows. “We’re not afraid of you,” he added, wishing it were true.

With an amusing sense of timing, the brush moved aside to admit a small furry woodland creature. Its nose tested the air around it for the scent of danger. Finding none, it scurried onwards, clambering up the side of the wagon as if it were nothing more than a continuation of the forest. Suddenly it paused, inches from Dirulal, puzzled by the strange smell of the dwarf.

“What’s that?” Dirulal asked, peering down his nose at the new arrival.

“Lunch.” Kubluk replied, after a moments contemplation.

Welcome to Spiritwood

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 07, 2010, 03:47:16 pm »

Wow, this thread is so awesome.

I speak with literally no sarcasm when i say that im impressed that nobody posts here for months on end, yet another well written and awesome update faithfully comes along every now and again, regardless.

Sweet.

By the way, nice update.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 08, 2010, 04:37:56 am »

Another great update, keep it up :)