Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61252 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #330 on: March 24, 2010, 05:54:30 am »

Wow!

Took me a couple of attempts to read the first line, kept reading it as "the dwarven society have left the height deficient race with a rather single minded approach to combat" instead of "Over a thousand years over evolution, [...] have left the height deficient race with a rather single minded approach to combat".
But the rest of it is amazing!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2010, 04:08:54 pm »

"Get me out of this tree" certainly had me laughing.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 24, 2010, 04:38:58 pm »

No, you're right, that first line is a little twisted. I've shuffled it around a little to make it a little more understandable. Guess I was in a bit of a rush when I knocked out that chunk this morning.

Well. I'm off to button moon. Someone's got to follow that damned Mr Spoon.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2010, 04:43:34 pm »

Yeah, it's easier to read that sentence now.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 24, 2010, 10:58:26 pm »

Riveting tale you got here Cirius, I keep expecting to find one of your characters to TALK LIKE THIS.

Congrats on the mini Cirius by the by.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 25, 2010, 03:31:31 am »

The Death of the Spiritwood realm was once a similar figure to standard folklore. Tall, hooded, a little on the thin side. However, since he tended to spend pretty much the vast majority of his time hanging around the dwarves, he quickly lost his height, put on a rather portly belly, and developed a rather fetching beard.

He can now generally be found running the butchers store deep within the mountain-home. He does still talk a bit LIKE THIS, but only when people aren't listening.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 25, 2010, 04:04:08 am »

The vast majority of the rest of the morning was spent patching various wounds, shifting the dead out of the road, and plucking shards of broken bronze out of both the wagons and dwarf alike. After a brief consultation with Servu, Commander Othtar had been rescued from his tree-top perch by the judicious application of several well thrown rocks, and was now back on patrol with a spring in his step and a rather fetching bandage wrapped around his head.

After various false starts, which revealed some of the wagons to not be as well maintained as previously thought, the dwarven wagon train had lumbered back to speed. Despite the scars of the journey, the odd missing wheel, and the occasional missing limb, the dwarves were in rather high spirits.

“Anananan, tha’s wha’ I sees.” Kubluk eloquently explained to Dirulal, who was pressing for details on the leader’s encounter with the gods.

His companion briefly considered the deep philosophical implications of the reality of Nomoddon, home of the gods. If reality really was as flexible as it seemed, if ideas could become truth by deep enough introspection, then what considerations did that hold for his very existence?

“Hic,” he explained.

Kubluk continued. “Big as a, big as a really big dog. A really big dog. No, not a dog. I mean the oth’r thing.”

“A bear?”

“Yus, a big hairy bear. Jus’ drinking wit’ the rest of them. As ordin..en..a hairy bear.”

Dirulal considered the image of a bear drinking alcohol. He then considered the image of himself drinking alcohol. He drank some more alcohol.

The wagons clattered along the roadway, shedding a fine wake of discarded provisions, broken bottles, and the odd drunken dwarf who found the moving surface of the wagons a little too much to cope with. As the horizon bobbed up and down in the distance, Kubluk noticed a rather menacing shape slowly forming in the distance ahead of them.

“Othtar!” he shouted, after a couple of failed attempts at the commander’s name. Within moments, the burly dwarf had leapt aboard the wagon, and was scanning the horizon with Servu’s magnifying tube.

“Was’it?” Kubluk asked. “Sisisit dragons? We can kill dragn’s.” He stood up, rather wobbly in the wagon and raised his fist. “Come on drangs! Come get some dwarf!”

Othtar chuckled. “No, it’s not dragons Kubluk.”

“Is not dragn’s? Must be hydra! All t’ more heads to smash!”

“No, I don’t believe it’s hydra either.”

Dirulal chipped in from his perch atop a barrel. “S'it a big hairy bear?” he asked, before toppling backwards into the wagon’s load.

“No. I don’t believe it is.” Othtar snapped shut the tube, and shouted for the wagons to come to a halt. He paused, and allowed the clattering to subside.

“That shape on the horizon, my friends, is trees. Dwarves, we’ve reached the Spiritwood.”

Welcome to Spiritwood

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 25, 2010, 05:15:26 am »

Embarkin soon?
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2010, 12:08:14 pm »

Well, I've just read through the entire story again. It's just as awesome this time :)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 25, 2010, 12:26:25 pm »

DIE TREES!
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 25, 2010, 01:18:14 pm »

Embarkin soon?

Yeah, 23 pages in seems as good a time as any :P

Hurrah for Cirius! And a climactic boss fight! And Spiritwood in general!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2010, 12:30:50 pm »

I dont think this will be as good a story as a fort, it should just continue to be written, separate from the game.

I mean seriously, 75% of the awesome in this is technically impossible in the present version of dwarf fortress.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 26, 2010, 02:24:10 pm »

I dont think this will be as good a story as a fort, it should just continue to be written, separate from the game.

I mean seriously, 75% of the awesome in this is technically impossible in the present version of dwarf fortress.
Seeing as how a normal embark would take quite some time to build up a wooden ship, I was under the assumption that was already how it was planned.  Once I realized it was being written, anyway, which didn't take long.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 26, 2010, 05:33:30 pm »

Cirius cannot be Terry Pratchet. And yet he is.

Impossibility Matrix to 10,000%!! Hold on, we're gonna hit some turbulence!!

More seriously, great update. Well done.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 26, 2010, 10:36:31 pm »

Seeing as how a normal embark would take quite some time to build up a wooden ship, I was under the assumption that was already how it was planned.  Once I realized it was being written, anyway, which didn't take long.
Yeah I'm thinking it would take a bit more than a few weeks dwarftime to build this boat in fort mode.
Then again, with dwarves the more they're told something is impossible the more likely they are to do it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:41:31 pm by Mangled »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25