Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61248 times)

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #315 on: March 03, 2010, 06:54:18 pm »

Oh man suddenly UPDATES EVERYWHERE!

Awesome

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 03, 2010, 07:49:28 pm »

I wasnt quite expecting to up and murder a dwarf with its fist, but that was certainly awesome.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 04, 2010, 03:33:22 am »

A brief extract from Tunas Silar’s Art Of Dwarven Warfare:

XII.)When facing odds of ten to one, instruct each dwarf to keep a tally of his victims, so that an accurate total of the dead can be kept.

XIII.)When facing odds of five to one, first fire bolts. When bolts run short, throw rocks. When rocks run short, throw insults, and when insults run dry, throw dwarves.

XIV.)When facing odds of two to one, cut each enemy in half with an axe. Whilst this does double the number of foes, the subsequent opponents are somewhat weaker.

XV.)When odds are equally stacked, a third of the dwarven force may better be employed in preparing the victory feast.

XVI.)When your force outnumbers the enemy by two to one, pair your dwarves off, and explain the benefits of sharing.

XVII.)When your force outnumbers the enemy by five to one, encourage the enemy forces to withdraw, by cutting them in half with an axe.

XVIII.)When your force outnumbers the enemy by ten to one, you have clearly miscounted.

Bizarrely, Tunas Silar is strangely devoid of advice as to how a hundred enraged dwarves can simultaneously attack an individual bronze colossus.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 04, 2010, 03:42:37 am »

Oh, no, it's in a footnote:

When engaging an enemy that is a tremendous threat on its own, use more than one dwarf, depending on the circumstances.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 04, 2010, 12:46:45 pm »

Just gonna say, saw the bronze collosus coming as soon as the statue was there. Even forgot that the demon animated it, I'm just always suspicious of random good fortune in Dwarf Fortress. Good stuff is just a trojan horse for funtm.

Grats on the kid Cirus.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #320 on: March 04, 2010, 01:10:38 pm »

Sheesh, you guys all forgot about the demon-animated statue? :P

Well, I guess it's easier to recall if you read the entire thread in the space of a few days. ;)
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 05, 2010, 03:24:02 am »

Oh, almost forgot:

These are a collection of adamantine posts. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. They are studded with epic and encircled with bands of win.
On the image are the words,
I'm so loving this story *grabs popcorn*

Oh nice. I just get back from 2 weeks of Australia and Terry Pratchett only to find out I'm a zombie in this story. I'm still loving it though.  ;D  I say you lop off his arm.  :P

I've just had a strange premonition that Legon is about to die.

Happy 300th post Legolord!
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2010, 10:15:58 pm »

Just finished reading this.. all i can say is great story keep up the work cirius  :D
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 07, 2010, 10:56:09 pm »

Keep it up dude!  ;D
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 08, 2010, 01:04:11 am »

yay my bump worked afterall. i saw that colossus instantly :P. a bronze statue is never "just" a bronze statue. and congrats, your gonna be a daddy :)
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 17, 2010, 03:41:24 am »

The fire demon guiding the bronze colossus was somewhat perplexed. For over a thousand years it had slumbered within its ceramic prison before Nganuz had seen fit to release it. Expecting freedom, it instead found itself thrust into a new prison of bronze. At least now it was able to move, it thought to itself, swinging the heavy bronze sword through a huge arc. Even so, the demon was merrily expecting to unleash a plague of pain, suffering and death on everything it encountered. What was most unfair however, was that the dwarves did not seem overly willing to co-operate. Even now, as the statue swung ferociously at the pack of angry dwarves with its antique blade, others clambered over its very body, and one was even now making a fairly spirited attempt to lever off its head with a hastily grabbed pick axe. No, this was not how it was supposed to work.

On the top of the ridge, Teach stood alongside Kubluk, muttering to himself about the unfairness of life. As the battle cry broke out, Commander Othtar had pulled him aside and pointed out that his method of unsighted warfare, whilst devastatingly efficient whilst outnumbered, was of rather limited effectiveness when facing only one enemy, especially one already covered in a layer of dwarves. So there he stood, idly drawing shapes in the dirt with his toe, as the battle wore on.

As much trouble as the colossus was facing, that isn’t to say there weren’t casualties on the dwarven side. In addition to unlucky Ordus, another five dwarves lay still in the road, and several more sat cursing their misfortune and missing limbs. As slow and ponderous as the statue was the sheer number of dwarves angrily swarming around it meant that someone was inevitably going to take a hit, either from the massive bronze sword of the statue itself, or a badly timed swing of a dwarven axe.

Othtar stood back from the main assault, and watched closely. His practised eye absorbed the flow of the combat, and he noted the damage that the many strikes on the statue were causing, mainly none at all. For every ten useless strikes of a dwarven axe, the colossus was strike a lucky blow that would hurl an unlucky dwarf from the fight. His brow furrowed as he slowly realised that they were in danger of losing the battle.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 17, 2010, 06:30:11 am »

Dwarves - Collossus, still 0:10.

But they're dwarves! They will surely prevail. Also: yay update!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #327 on: March 17, 2010, 10:16:01 am »

Haha, the confusion of battle is too much for a bronze statue.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 24, 2010, 04:42:26 am »

Driven by the needs and rather high mortality rate of dwarven society, over a thousand years of evolution have left the height deficient race with a rather single minded approach to combat. Whilst the human and elven cultures treat warfare as a separate and rather unpleasant part of life, the dwarves long ago accepted that in essence, the dismantling of another individual is most efficient when viewed as just another engineering problem. A dwarf facing an enemy will look first for structural weaknesses, and after a brief assessment will decide where the most efficient use of force should be applied for a controlled demolition.

This is the theory. In practise, this assessment happens in the blink of an eye, and to any impartial observer the dwarf in question will merely swear loudly at the top of his lungs before hacking away at his opponent with the nearest object, sharp or otherwise.

Othtar’s mind was working overtime as he watched the metallic creature move. It wasn’t fast, but its arms moved with a seemingly unstoppable grace that merely brushed aside any dwarf unlucky enough to be in the way when it swung. The dwarven commander’s eyes swiftly darted between the general weak points of a humanoid. The kness, the elbows, the neck. All were marked with a number of scratches where the dwarves had been lucky enough to get in a couple of cheap swings, but there was no sign of significant damage.

Turning from the combat, he sprinted back to Kubluk who stood nervously alongside Teach and Servu.

“Any ideas?” he asked the academically minded Servu, after catching his breath.

The dwarf rapidly began making notes on a scroll that had miraculously appeared about his person.

“So,” he muttered, seemingly to himself. “We’ve already gather’d that the metal man’s hollow.”

Othtar listened, as the distant clang of a dwarven axe collaborated the statement, and nodded.

“But there’s no joints or moving parts to indicate any kind’ve mechanism?” Servu continued.

The small collection of dwarves nodded again.

The dwarf looked up after a few moments. “It seems we’re looking here at some kind of demonic possession, and from the container of bronze, I’d lean towards fire.”

Kubluk looked down at the combat, which unsettlingly seemed to be moving in the direction of the combat. “A fire demon?” he asked.

Othtar growled under his breath. “This stinks of Nganuz.”

Servu nodded. “I’ve ne’er read of another with the power to harness a fire demon.”

“Does this help us?” Othtar asked, as Kubluk ducked to avoid a dwarf hurtling past at around head height.

Servu made another couple of notes, and looked up with a smile on his face. “Pressure. Heat, plus an enclosed space, that metal man’s like a fire cracker, if we c’n only find a way to crack him open.”

Kubluk’s memory prodded him gently, attempting to attract his attention. The dwarf stood in thought, before a smile slowly spread over his face.

“Plump helmet,” he stated.

Othtar grinned. “Plump helmet.”

Servu nodded. “Aye, plump helmet.”

The commander reached into a nearby barrel and scooped out a small ceramic stein. He flicked open the lid and took a hearty swig from the container, letting out a mighty belch that surrounded him in a fine alcoholic haze.

“One for me,” he muttered, before breaking into a swift jog towards the closing golem. As he ran, he deliberately poured a small measure of the liquid onto the ground. “One for my ancestors.” His pace grew faster, and the ground blurred past his feet. Taking another brief swig from the jar, he spat a fine spray into the air. “One for the gods!” he yelled over the clamour of combat. Hurling himself into the throng, he danced up the pile of struggling dwarves like a staircase, and leapt up onto the shoulders of the statue. “And one for you, Nganuz!” he roared, smashing the container against the creatures eye socket.

The stench of alcohol filled the air, as a pint of triple distilled and highly unstable plump helmet brew flowed into the interior of the creature. Instantly, the colossus became motionless. Othtar dropped from its back, and broke into a run.

“Everybody might want to get back!” he roared.

As one, the force scattered for cover, diving behind rocks, shrubs, and apparently less important dwarves.

The bronze colossus shuddered. From within, the sound of bubbling and frothing could distinctly be heard. The creature groaned, not with distress, but with the sound of tortured metal as the bronze struggled to cope with the rapidly expanding pressure.

Servu glanced down at a couple of numbers on his scroll. “You might want to duck,” he commented to Kubluk, who hunkered down and pulled a nearby helmet over his head.

An instant later, the statue exploded. The sound of its detonation filled the valley with blinding light and a deafening roar. Shrapnel radiated outwards with deadly force, knifing into trees, the ground, and the occasional unlucky dwarf. Kubluk gulped as a particularly deadly looking shard flew past his head and embedded itself in the side of the wagon behind him.

The dwarves broke into a ragged cheer, shouting the name of their champion.

“Othtar! Othtar! Othtar!”

After a moment, the chant began to take on a more questioning tone.

“Othtar. Othtar? Othtar?!”

Kubluk scanned the valley floor. Of the commander, there was absolutely no sign, just scattered pieces of cloth and armour. The dwarf hung his head, and swore under his breath.

“I guess there’s nothing to do but mount up and move on,” he sighed.

“Before you do that,” the distant sound of Othtar boomed. “Would you mind getting me down from this tree?”
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:34:38 pm by Cirius »

Welcome to Spiritwood

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 24, 2010, 05:13:10 am »

Plump helmet!

First Nist Akath, now Spiritwood...

Haspen was overjoyed to see so much story updates lately.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25