Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61294 times)

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2009, 07:43:03 pm »

A dwarf without a beard?!?! BLASPHAMEY!!!  >:(
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2009, 08:13:34 pm »

Now, now, Labs, accidents happen.  We can't all be Ironblood.

I'm guessing the human was infected.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2009, 08:30:05 pm »

I'm guessing it was the beardless 'dwarf' that did it...  ELF IN HIDING TIE HIM TO THE BACK OF THE WAGON AND LETS DRAG HIM TO THE SITE!

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2009, 08:51:05 pm »

Quick! Dip him in magma! If Armok truly knows he is not an Elf but is in fact a Dwarf, he will not burn in Armok's blood! :o
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2009, 08:57:33 pm »

Problem:  Elves don't like obsidian weapons (wood handles).  Herbs for poison, though . . . suspicious.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2009, 05:50:35 am »

Problem:  Elves don't like obsidian weapons (wood handles).  Herbs for poison, though . . . suspicious.

tis the dark side of plant gathering :3
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2009, 05:47:23 pm »

Poor diesalot  :P
Guess he had it coming.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2009, 12:31:56 pm »

I'm hyped up about the next update already.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2009, 11:56:44 pm »

That read left me refreshed.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2009, 02:55:16 am »

Deep within his obsidian fortress, the demon Nganuz had awakened and his mood was not a pleasant one. Sat atop a throne of bronze, his pointed ears twitched as he listened to discouraging reports from his goblin army. Every few moments, his talons would rap impatiently on the rests of his throne, and his temper would rise another couple of notches. Either side of his great throne stood two statues of bronze warriors, stolen relics from fallen civilizations.

Finally, he leaned forward and fixed the prostrate goblin with two glowing silver eyes. A reptilian tongue flickered over razor sharp fangs, and he hissed softly.

“Answer me this,” he finally spoke, his deep voice reverberating through the skulls of his servants. “You were given one task before I slept. To secure my domains, and expand them. Instead, you have lost land to the humans, numerous forces to the elves, and finally you tell me my southern fortress was undermined by dwarves and dropped into a chasm?”

The goblin warchief stuttered momentarily, seeking desperately for some good news with which to appease his master. After a moment, he stopped, and lowered his head in shame. “I have failed you sire.”

Nganuz rose from his throne in one fluid movement and landed mere inches from the goblin’s face. The goblin stared deep into the demon’s silver stare, and could see his own terrified visage reflected back at him. “Yes,” Nganuz replied. “You have failed me. I hope your replacement will achieve more.”

He stepped backwards, and the goblin felt a strange sensation in his stomach. Looking down with confusion, he saw five razor sharp claws slowly being withdrawn from his torso, coated in a thick layer of blood. The demon lifted his talon, and his long forked tongue licked at the miasmic coating. Understanding came moments later to the goblin, a mere second before he fell to the stone floor.

A servant stepped forward, head bowed low to the floor, unwilling to meet the eyes of the demon.

“Should I clear the remains from your presence old one?” the goblin asked.

Nganuz shook his pointed skull. “I have not eaten in a year. I will dispose of it myself.” He paused at the thought. Goblin meat was hardly pleasant fare even to a demon. “Find me some more meat from the prison stock, and bring it to my chambers, I have a desire to feast.” He paused once again. “And find me a new goblin warchief.”

“As you wish.” The servant stepped backwards, and was again lost to the shadows.

Nganuz turned, and for a moment froze stock still, deep in thought. Finally, he nodded to himself.

“I will need messengers to spread the news of my awakening,” he soliloquised. “But where would I find them?”

Moments later, he lifted his head, and his eyes fell upon the two bronze statues either side of the throne.

“Yes,” he hissed. “That will do nicely.”

He stepped forward and withdrew from his cloak a small canopic vase, which seemed to glow with an inner light. He lowered it to the floor delicately and stroked its exterior with a surprisingly delicate touch.

“Awaken, my child. It is time for you to go to work.”

The vase vibrated gently on the stone floor, and the seal on the lid sprang backwards with a sudden snap. The lid flew back, and a burst of flame sprang forth from the depths of the jar. The fire rose with acrid smoke and the stench of sulphur, forming a roughly humanoid shape. Within moments, a being of living fire blazed in front of Nganuz, filling the chamber with a blinding light. Within the flames, two eyes burned like suns, and were fixed on the great demon before it.

Nganuz pointed a slender claw towards one of the bronze statues. “Wear your armour with pride. Go forth, and spread the word of my awakening.”

The fire demon span in the air scattering sparkles of light, as the dust around it burst into flame. It rushed forward, and enveloped the statue within a corona of blinding light. Finally, and abruptly, the light vanished, plunging the chamber back into the semi-darkness of torchlight. The demon had vanished.

Seconds later, a faint yellow glow arose in the eyes of the bronze statue.  With a metallic creak, the head turned slowly to survey the room. The statue stepped ponderously forward, a little unsteady as the piloting demon found its way within the bronze shell. The stone tiles under its metal feet split and cracked as the weight of the statue fell upon them. Gaining confidence, the golem reached slowly over its shoulder, and withdrew a heavy bronze sword.  It creaked again with the sound of stretching metal, as the bronze figurine finally stood to attention before Nganuz.

“Go forth, my bronze colossus,” the demon ordered.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2009, 03:05:26 am »

Authors Note: Stardate, 8:55

Well it's about bloody time Nganuz got out of bed, I mean it's only been 11 pages. I mean seriously.

I must say, it's great to finally be able to introduce him to everybody. He was my first ever HFS encounter within Dwarf Fortress, so he'll always hold a special place in my heart.

And a double hooray for having the opportunity to have both a spirit of fire and a bronze colossus in the same update. Ok, so I took a few liberties with magic and possession, but who knows what the future of dwarf fortress will bring.

About now it's probably time to mention something about size. I thought long and hard about how I'd reconcile one tile creatures with a fantasy domain, then I thought to myself, it doesn't have to be big to be terrifying. Thus the bronze colossus is merely an animated statue, standing about 8 ft tall. Though to be fair, that is pretty colossal to a dwarf.

But then I also remember I've already introduced a giant earlier in the story, and think what the hell, why am I even worried about this?

Poor Labs, I've just realised he's had his foot in the latrine for about three days now.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2009, 03:07:41 am »

I really liked your explanation of the bronze colossus. It should be quite fun in an update or two :)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2009, 06:00:46 am »

Or, just do a back-in-time!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2009, 10:48:57 am »

Apologies to everybody following this story.

A few days ago I contracted what the doctors like to call 'suspected swine flu', as in I've probably got it, but they'd rather I stayed away from the surgery lest I infect anyone elderly. It's left me about as weak as a small child, with a pounding headache, and lost me my voice. I've been ordered to bed for a week, which is nice enough, but the fact that staring at a monitor for anything more than ten minutes makes the headache worse means I'm not really in much of a writing mood right now.

Hopefully I should have this damned killer bug shifted in a few more days, and I can get back to work.  In the meantime I recommend you dive into the many other fine tales out there.

CM

Welcome to Spiritwood

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2009, 05:35:28 pm »

that sucks :(
hope you get better quickly :)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25