Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: playful children  (Read 774 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
playful children
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:58:08 am »

I don't see the children in fortresses do much, except run around their parents and respond to remove construction designation. right now they seem too well behaved...

it would be cool if they ran around playing with each other or the family pet, and being children. Maybe you could even build a daycare so they don't go accidentally stepping on a pressure plate and being impaled by those floor spikes... or pulling levers that flood the fortress...

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: playful children
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:06:00 am »

And maybe all those toys would finally be worth something.  Children could be given happy or unhappy thoughts by toys or lack of toys, and an unhappy child gives the parents unhappy thoughts.  Children could also have toy preferences ("Urist McToddler likes toy forges for their tiny anvils").

I'd also make it so that toys are a stronger influence on children than anything else, perhaps even making fort-born children immune to all the crap that gets built to keep players from tantrum spirals, like statue gardens in masterwork dining rooms.  When they get older they convert to normal adult preferences, of course, and toys could be recycled.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 09:36:58 pm »

Toys could be... recycled?

Oh, no.  Any child's toy will invariably see some wear, and often get lost.  They'd be more likely to fall apart, litttering your fort with XX-Mudstone Toy Axe-XXs.

Awesome.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 09:43:40 pm »

Oh, no.  Any child's toy will invariably see some wear, and often get lost.  They'd be more likely to fall apart, litttering your fort with XX-Mudstone Toy Axe-XXs.

Awesome.

Preferably on the stairs, where dwarfs trip and fall over them.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 10:23:26 pm »

Awesome.

Preferably on the stairs catwalks suspended over your magma pit, where dwarfs trip and fall over them.

fixed.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 02:21:24 am »

It seems that Toady writed several bloats about children and toys :

Bloat252, ENVIRONMENTAL LEARNING, (Future): Some preferences could be gained by children as they play and explore, rather than having them be innate. These can include personality development. Many preferences and other aspects of their profiles shouldn't be visible at first.

Bloat3, PLAY, (Future): Kids should want toys and play with them, adults can use puzzle boxes.

Bloat41, MECHANICAL TOYS, (Future): Like regular toys, but they requires small mechanisms made at the mechanic's workshop. These mechanisms could be more or less specific to the task.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:48:42 am »

Maybe you could even build a daycare so they don't go accidentally stepping on a pressure plate and being impaled by those floor spikes...
Considering that children are currently useless, most players would build a daycare area incorporated into their magma incinerator.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:40:17 am »

Maybe you could even build a daycare so they don't go accidentally stepping on a pressure plate and being impaled by those floor spikes...
Considering that children are currently useless, most players would build a daycare area incorporated into their magma incinerator.
I don't know how you play, but in my fortresses they actually grow up to be legendary planters/socializers and make great haulers, if I don't let them train another skill.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.