Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constructed buildings not deconstruct after falling  (Read 548 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Constructed buildings not deconstruct after falling
« on: August 29, 2009, 08:44:55 am »

Walls should not deconstruct if it falls an there in a vertical line, also attached floors should stay unless they have a wall on top of them which is not supported down to the level at which it impacts.

I found this out the hard way.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed buildings not deconstruct after falling
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 12:04:51 pm »

Actualy, i think the whole falling straight down mechanic needs a rework. I understand it is the simplest way to implement a collapse, but i would love to see a bit of randomness on the way down, to help simulate tumbling. Maybe a tile would shift randomly in any direction, pushing other tiles out of the way? The more space they have to fall the greater potential for shift?

That may caus a larger "slow down" but since my comp already freezes for every large colapse i preform, i do not see a problem with it.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:10:55 pm »

I was thinking more for collapsing towers into sea to isolate part for pumping.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:20:27 pm »

I recently tried to build a large block of stone above a river and collapse it to block the water flow. Turn out I also found the hard way that it turn into stone when collapsed.

Could be implemented, but not entirely : I can't see a complex structure staying perfectly unscathed after a 10 z-levels fall for instance. Maybe a part / some parts of the structure could remain undamaged ?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:11:01 pm »

There should be a chance that a building deconstructs every time it drops a z-level, which varies depending on the materials used.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 07:32:55 pm »

No, with the materials and techniques dwarves have, any remotely significant drop should badly damage walls and floors. What's needed here isn't the ability to preserve these structures; it's for large objects (or large amounts of small objects) in tiles to be able to act as walls simply by taking up all the space in the tile. And that's an idea that's been discussed to death, generally alongside requests for more realistic mining.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:36:09 pm »

No, with the materials and techniques dwarves have, any remotely significant drop should badly damage walls and floors.

(assuming this is directed at me) The chance would be very high, maybe over 50% depending on the material. That way, even if a structure falls one z-level, you wouldn't have most of it left standing, as when the bottom walls break, the walls above them would get another chance at breaking. There should also be a chance that a wall would buckle when another wall lands on top of it, leading to possible 9/11 type scenarios.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:31:42 pm »

Yeah but if it was just vertical it should not break too much, especially falling through water.
I do LP of videogames!
See here: